Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soops cosy kitchen for kind peoples and precious pets !

(1001 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 12:13:03

All ready for business...pull up a chair smile

cornergran Tue 21-Mar-17 21:41:21

The collective power of GN could run a town, or two. grin.

cornergran Tue 21-Mar-17 21:46:31

jud my commiserations about the dental stuff. Georgie is certainly improving, sounds a bit like a child who has been ill, takes a while to understand the nurse is off duty.

Pleased you feel better, galen, the sense of humour has recovered that's for sure

greyduster You are not alone. I can sleep anywhere during the day, nod off in the bus, in the car, on the beach, on a seat anywhere. Shame I haven't learned to transfer the skill to the night.

Charleygirl Tue 21-Mar-17 22:01:09

corner you need lessons from me- I can sleep anywhere also but certainly at night. Such a pity that my bladder insists I take a walk at least 2-3 times during the night and sometimes more often. I can usually fall asleep again afterwards.

Thanks for the tips re the WD40. having hoovered and washed the floors downstairs, not that it made much difference, the place still looks filthy, I did not have the energy or the inclination to try it.

Delighted to hear that Georgie is hopefully on the mend again. Her bladder and bowel problems need to be sorted asap. The thought of visiting a dentist makes me cringe.

Anybody any good at re-pointing? You can have a day's trial here because the present fellow was sacked today, too many fag breaks and too mouthy. It is a monotonous job and he did it well on the odd occasion he did any work. I am not surprised he has problems finding employment.

callgirl1 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:22:41

Jud, I`m so pleased to read that Georgie is improving!

NanaandGrampy Wed 22-Mar-17 08:53:15

Morning all !!

Had a busy couple of days. Babysitting the older 2 grandchildren where some stern Nana moments occurred with our 7 yr old grandson. He seems to have shot up and left his marbles behind and was yesterday , an unpleasant whiny child. Luckily his Mum went off to work and on her return 4 hours later she found her beautiful happy boy had returned ( courtesy of stern nana!!)

Great news about Grace Maw bet your heart had been in your mouth ! You deserve a treat of three.

soop no birthday cake I'm afraid but I did whip up my new speciality - a lemon drizzle cake ( would you believe until I heard it on here I had never made one !!) but the ginger biscuits sound wonderful .

Grey yes that is our budget lack of constraint with the grandchildren. But I work on the principle that the stage where they desire toys etc passes so quickly that its my right to splurge on them now smile our 10 year old granddaughter has discovered make up and last night recorded a you tube style video showing me how to use blusher !!! It made me feel my age !! Sorry you missed what so obviously must have been the goal of the century!!

We're obviously cut from the same budgetary cloth *Corner *smile. Have you tried drinking some pineapple juice for the cough? My daughter swears by it for the little ones, something about it breaking down mucus etc?

Good to hear news of Georgie Jud , sympathies for anything dental- I know I will have to bite the bullet soon but am so fearful it takes a real disaster to get me there.

Right- I am off to get started. My lovely brother is coming up today to help totally empty the loft. Although the house shows no sign of moving I think it needs to be done . So we shall bring everything down, separate it into rubbish, charity, recycling piles and the only thing returning up there will be empty suitcases and Christmas decorations... I wonder what 'treasures' we will find !!

NanaandGrampy Wed 22-Mar-17 08:54:10

OOOh nearly forgot - Charley hats off to you !! I don't know how you have not buried a workman or two in the garden !!

and did I miss an update from Ann on her trip??

Charleygirl Wed 22-Mar-17 09:05:26

Nana&Grampy I think if my rear garden had not been paved over, that was a very strong possibility. There is plenty of space at the front but I may be noticed by mt neighbours. Some may turn a blind eye if it stops the horrendous noise!

At least it is drizzling today so it is as well that we do not have a re-pointer for outside.

Tara for once is thinking that the weather is inclement for her so I am sure will retire to bed somewhere very soon having discovered that the weather is the same front and rear of house.

annsixty Wed 22-Mar-17 09:15:45

Good morning all.
No N&G you didn't miss anything ,we got back about 6 pm yesterday and I was too exhausted to post.
Basically it was a nightmare and not to be repeated.
I knew H was always restless and up and walking about but not quite how much.
The train journey was 2hrs 20 min of unrest. He got up to the loo every 2 hours which meant I was up every 2 hours. He woke me to ask whose house we were at.
He didn't know where we were for most of the time. He went off his food and couldn't choose from a menu.
Yesterday he was up and dressed by 6:30am and then paced the room until we were picked up by our friends to go for breakfast at 10. He packed and unpacked the small suitcase several times. He wouldn't go for a walk and generally acted like a wilful child. The final straw was when he stood up and started straitening all the pictures on my friends wall.
They were both shocked at the change in him in 6 months.
At least I know that holidays are really over now instead of wondering if I was missing out.
I must make the best of half days out on my own.
I have just remembered he was amazed that our friends were driving all the way from Nottingham, where they use to live, just to take us to the station!!.

MawBroon Wed 22-Mar-17 09:22:37

Oh dear annsixty sad
In future it would be better for perhaps one of your children to stay for a night or two if possible and let you have a short break with friends.
It will have brought home to your friends however, the conditions you are coping with.
No easy answers, just a {{hug}}

annsixty Wed 22-Mar-17 09:33:11

My 18 year old GD has offered to stay and did spend the 3 nights I was in hospital. But I know she found it hard work, however she is a brilliant girl and I may take her offer up for a night away when she finishes college in June.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 09:41:26

Early pop in to catch up before I do anything of note. Computer dodgy! Refurbished model may appear later today. If the kitchen should close without me...I'm leaving the key under the flower pot. Last person to pop in...please, for our sanity...open the new kitchen. *N&G did so last time.

Jud I'm so relieved to hear the latest news. smile

Ann I'm dreadfully sorry to hear that your wee break was a nightmare. Seriously, you and your husband need the help of a trained support team.

Galen You have had me giggling away like a silly schoolgirl...nothing unusual there! hmm

Off to eat porridge and I shall return later.

NanaandGrampy Wed 22-Mar-17 09:49:09

Oh ann I am so sad the trip did not go well . I had high hopes , as I'm sure you did too.

But as you say, you now know what is possible. Bless your Grandaughter for helping and definitely get your request in early so you can get away in the summer even if it's only for a day.

Sending you a large glass ???or three x

Charley I am happy to sneak up under cover of darkness and help you bury the body in the front garden ....after all it's what friends are for smile

cornergran Wed 22-Mar-17 10:47:16

Echo the disappointment that your trip didn't go as you had hoped, ann. I know it was exhausting but I am still pleased you tried, as you say, you know now. Please do ask your granddaughter or another family member to stay with your husband to give you a break. I can see from my neighbour what a difference it makes to her and also to her husband.

charley anything, but anything can happen under the cover of darkness. Just say the word and we will be there to help. I think I do need lessons in sleeping. Ironic really as one of my professional tasks was to teach others strategies to help with sleep. Do I use them? Well, actually I do. Do they help? Nope! I wonder how many people went away muttering about the uselessness of my advice blush but were too polite to tell me. No hope I fear.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 11:13:20

annsixty I haven't been able to stop thinking about you and your experience over the two day visit to friends. MawB has, what I believe, is the only other option...if your lovely granddaughter would be happy to stand in for you occasionally, then you will have a chance to recharge your energy supply. There could be an option whereby your husband could go into a care home for a couple of days every month or so. Respite care is another route that could work, 'though I doubt that your husband would be prepared to leave his home as he cannot take on board the fact that you will be returning for him. This is such a dastardly situation. We're all going round and round in ever decreasing circles and getting nowhere fast.

N&G When your brother has sorted your loft, please may I borrow him to do the same in ours? I can no longer climb into the bloody thing. I know that for all the shifting/scraping/huffin'and puffin' that goes on when MacSporran says...'I'm off to sort the loft', that he's shoving stuff from one place to another with gay abandon. Does anything get chucked away...NOPE!

CharleyG Onwards and suchlike...I'm in awe of your fortitude.

Just had a delivery of a marvellous Daniel Hechter double vent, charcoal grey blazer, bought on eBay for MacS to wear at the wedding and any other occasion for that matter. Brand new. Fits perfectly. Fabulous cloth and workmanship. He's over the moon. RRP £195. Bought for £22.49 (that includes postage)...the sports jacket that swamps his frame since he lost weight, will be donated to the Red Cross. They're in for a treat on Friday. He's that chuffed he's to try it on later with the rest of the outfit (including a tartan waistcoat). Pic will be shared with you lot.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 11:14:59

charleyg Aww! Your advice is well meant. smile

annsixty Wed 22-Mar-17 11:19:47

Thank you all for kind words. Now we are back at home things are back to what goes for normality here.
I did feel sad and sorry for H as I think he was so lost and scared in unfamiliar territory and I really shouldn't have taken him but I felt I had to try. Respite care is really not an option as the situation would be just the same for him.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 11:20:08

Greyduster your photograph of the boating lake is lovely. The view fro our window is also a sight for sore eyes. A cloudless sky and a teal green sea. Chilly with it.
I've had a number of messages disappear into the ether. Whenever it happens to me, I've taken the maximum amount of time to read and respond to every message.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 11:21:26

annsixty I do understand. I wish that I could hug you, very gently, right this minute. sunshine

Charleygirl Wed 22-Mar-17 12:40:12

Ann so sorry to hear that it did not work out and you were under a lot of stress. Respite care for H may be necessary to give you a break- you are no longer 29 and things get difficult as we get older.

A fair bit of work is actually being done today but that is because the boss is here. The indoor work may even be finished today.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 13:20:36

CharleyG I almost did a double take. 'The indoor work may even be finished today...' Quick, sit yourself down on the chaise. I shall peel you a grape or two. wink

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 13:22:22

I'm about to smarten myself up in readiness for the visit to see the practice nurse. The leg is beginning to hurt less than it did a couple of days ago.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 13:23:40

With just three visits to the kitchen before it closes and I'm still hunting for the bubbly.

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 13:24:39

I've spring cleaned the new kitchen. I think it's time I opened it.

kittylester Wed 22-Mar-17 13:24:51

Just popping in before you all disappear - don't forget to leave a trail for me!! brew

soop Wed 22-Mar-17 13:26:04

Before I go...I'm looking forward to returning home to find you lot sitting comfortably.

Off to open new kitchen. grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion