Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Editing

(9 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 18-Apr-17 15:24:07

I belong to a forum which does have an edit button, however, it only stays there for a short period so if you post something and realise you have made a mistake you can quickly change it.

janeainsworth Tue 18-Apr-17 13:10:04

I'll have to investigate Ana!

Ana Tue 18-Apr-17 12:22:33

Can't you turn autocorrect off? It would drive me mad! I can't believe we're all so bad at spelling that we need it...

janeainsworth Tue 18-Apr-17 12:19:17

nellie people don't usually ask for an edit button because they've made an ordinary spelling error like missing a consonant out. No one minds about that sort of thing anyway.
It's usually when they've completely misinterpreted someone else's post and want to rewrite it, or when autocorrect on their iPad has gone beserk and changed something innocuous to something completely different.
For example, my phone has just tried to change 'completely' into 'mole test' and insert 'could' before 'completely' shock
I think you would have noticed that, wouldn't you? But I could easily have just posted without noticing, and that's when Preview is useful.
(Phone is really annoyed with me now & changed 'noticing' to 'noted' as wellangry)

PRINTMISS Tue 18-Apr-17 12:00:04

I agree Riverwalk - I sometimes cannot believe what this keyboard gets up to, and don't really think an edit button is necessary, as it is quite interesting to see the mistakes (and then the reasons for them).

Riverwalk Tue 18-Apr-17 09:09:09

I don't think an edit button is required - it doesn't matter if there are a few typos/errors in a post. If a post is edited significantly it could make nonsense of subsequent replies.

Nelliemoser Tue 18-Apr-17 08:59:46

It is not so easy for some dyslexics like me who tend to "hear" what they have written when checking, rather than actually noticing the words they have misspelt.
Words with double consonants defeat me all the time and I cannot spell without checking.

janeainsworth Tue 18-Apr-17 08:36:46

I agree Printmiss.
Obvious, innit?

PRINTMISS Tue 18-Apr-17 08:24:17

I see some folk curse they are not able to 'edit'. Surely if you preview your message before finally pressing the send button, you are able to edit. I do - not that it makes much difference sometimes, but it does give you the opportunity to correct any glaring mistakes - now where is the etid button?