Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soop's kichen for friendly folk and pampered pets

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 27-Apr-17 14:58:05

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and
Jolly good company...grin

annsixty Thu 27-Apr-17 20:21:05

I will go back and look for it now MawB Thankyou.

callgirl1 Thu 27-Apr-17 22:10:30

Soop, I`ll stock up on dark choc Magnums especially for you, in the meantime, get yourself to the Royal and have a sundae like MacSporran`s, it looked yummy, double yummy in fact!
We`ve just had a power cut. I couldn`t ring anywhere because if the electric`s off, so is the phone, and I only had 54p on my mobile, forgot to top up in town on Saturday. I managed to call Rena, she rang the electric people, who said the engineer was on his way, but quoted midnight before it would be back on. I fumbled in the darkness in the kitchen drawer for candles and matches, lit 2, carried them through into here, and blow me, the lights came on again! I love that smell when candles are blown out, am I odd?

Bellanonna Thu 27-Apr-17 22:23:44

Thank you for the welcome soop. I hope your medication starts to work soon. However do you eat? Get well very soon.x

wot you will start to feel better about things once you get the ball rolling. You do/did his ironing?? Well good luck to him with that. He sounds a right misery and you will feel liberated once he goes on his merry way, I'm sure.

wot Thu 27-Apr-17 22:42:07

Thanks to everyone who has/does support me. It is an enormous help to me! ?

kittylester Fri 28-Apr-17 07:21:28

I promise to stop posting photos of my DGC (maybe!) but the look of wonder on Persie's face makes me go all gooey!

kittylester Fri 28-Apr-17 07:37:15

Wrong flipping photo - but I love this one too!

Tizliz Fri 28-Apr-17 08:13:25

Had a cooking day yesterday as a lovely neighbour gave me some lamb (shepherds pie, curry, shoulder and scraps minced for dogs all in freezer), then I made a lemon drizzle cake - not particular known for making cakes - so didn't get on here yesterday and you moved! Never mind, found you now. Hope everyone has a better day today especially soop and wot

NanaandGrampy Fri 28-Apr-17 08:26:09

Just a quick pop in as I have to take DD2 shopping as SiL remains flat on his back !

But I had to share.......... we've bought a house !!

Two weeks ago we thought we'd never sell and here we are not only sold but bought ! We're so excited . I loved it the moment we walked in , it's a modern bungalow , a blank canvas, medium sized garden with nothing in it but grass and open views across fields . Small village of 2078 inhabitants......plus us and Sam !

Now we just have to get surveys done etc.

Catch you all later, leave me a seat by the window please!!

Greyduster Fri 28-Apr-17 08:33:52

Great news, N&G!????. Very exciting! Love Norfolk.

cornergran Fri 28-Apr-17 08:52:47

Wow n&g, that was quick work. I have Norfolk envy already. Really miss seeing our friends from back then, still in touch but long distance doesn't give us the hugs.

You sound to have had quite a cooking day, tizliz. I used to bake regularly but seem to have got out of the habit with only us two to eat it. Perhaps as well grin. Still manage a very edible meringue regularly but have to concentrate to produce anything else.

That's a lovely photo kitty, no matter if not the one you intended.

Noticed you are about again, charley, does that mean your hands have mended? What about your snagging list? Hope that's being whittled away.

Hang on in there wot, wishing you a positive day. Hope you are more comfortable today soop, enough of the buggerations for now.

Sun has just come out here, may encourage activity, we have a Mother Hubbard fridge so food shop for me.

annsixty Fri 28-Apr-17 09:15:11

How exiting N&G I am thrilled for you.
I hope it goes smoothly and quickly for you.
My friend decided to move to a retirement apartment in February, sold her bungalow in 48 hours and moved in in March.
A neighbour sold her house in January last year put an offer in on a bungalow and due to a c..p agent and a very difficult seller finally moved in July, one day before she was due to go on holiday with her D and GD.
I wish you better luck.

Charleygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 09:41:45

Now N&G that is very good news but please let us get back to basics. Are you close to the village or would you need transport to buy a loaf of bread? If neither of you could drive, could you cope living there? What is the bus timetable like from that village to nearest the town? 3 buses a week? Are there steps up to the front door- will you be able to manage when more infirm? You must be so pleased because you will be well settled by the time winter arrives.

kitty Persie is a pretty little lady- keep the photos coming.

wot please do not say a thing to that creep that you have an appointment to see a solicitor. Beat him at his own game. I am amazed he knew what an iron looked like- I doubt if he knows how it works. Lock up anything that you want to keep or he will waltz out with anything.

cornergran I am at the stage of using my right hand only- very difficult when I am left handed. I know the remedy, walk away from this machine.

Bellanonna Fri 28-Apr-17 09:47:08

N&G, what lovely news. The blank canvas aspect is ideal as you can really make the bungalow your own. Well done!
Wot, what Charleygirl said. Keep stum. You don't need to tell him you're going anywhere, just go. Free agent. And yes, do secrete away anything that might 'disappear".

annodomini Fri 28-Apr-17 09:53:51

I managed to miss the kitchen transfer, so didn't hear about soop's throat. I hope it's on the mend and if not, get thee to a medic asap. A sore throat is the best excuse reason for letting a Magnum slip slowly down!
wot, sympathy. Been there, but a long time ago now and I was well rid of the sleekit b*****d (as we Scots would say). I'm glad to say that he eventually went with his second wife to live about 6000 miles away which is just about far enough!
Get him out of the door with a well aimed kick in the rear!

Bellanonna Fri 28-Apr-17 09:57:30

Sleekit? That's a new one but sounds good anno

Charleygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 10:03:26

Bella one used by the Scots among us. It is like an expression that MawB dredged up the other day, "stocious" meaning one who is inebriated.

Bellanonna Fri 28-Apr-17 10:05:12

Oh that's a lovely one, charley.

Charleygirl Fri 28-Apr-17 10:08:07

There are so many expressions, many of which I have forgotten as I have not lived in Scotland since the mid 60's. Between us I am sure that we could dredge up a few more, especially as we came from all over the country.

Bellanonna Fri 28-Apr-17 10:11:19

When I was at work a Scots colleague gave me a long list of words that she and her husband had compiled for me as I was always fascinated by some of the words she used.

MawBroon Fri 28-Apr-17 10:16:41

Great news N&G!! Is it near the coast?
Now Wot I am slightly surprised that the git did not already have a close acquaintanceship with an iron - by looking in the mirror to check out the imprint on his forehead.
Wishing you well and much courage in the weeks to come. Of course you must protect your interests and anger is an excellent motivator, but there will be times when you run out of anger and despair sneaks in. At those moments, call in The Grans for moral support (also ?☕️?as required)
PS phoenix does a good curse as kittylester can attest.

wot Fri 28-Apr-17 10:56:57

Trying to learn about Pension Credit now as I only get State pension. Is it on a sliding scale as I have saved for repairs for this cottage and I always paid for the car.

wot Fri 28-Apr-17 10:58:17

Thank you, Maw and ??

wot Fri 28-Apr-17 11:05:02

My brother phoned from Holland and spoke to the slimeball whilst I was at the garage. Bro asked if it was true that he intends tomove out and he replied "yes" in a very sarcastic way, then told bro to f off! Particularly ner doesn't usually swear so im thinking he might be developing dementia. Brother is coming over for one day in mid May. He is extremely clever so partner won't be able to outwit him! ?

Tizliz Fri 28-Apr-17 11:05:20

When we moved to Scotland a friend bought me this: dictionary. My mother was from Glasgow so I did know a few of them, but it has been helpful.

Galen Fri 28-Apr-17 11:53:13

Wee sleekit timorous beastie
Alexa' joke today
Why does Wally always wear stripes?
Because he doesn't want to be spotted!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion