Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soop's kitchen for friendly folk and precious pets...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 21-May-17 16:25:05

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain
As long as we're together...Woops she goes again.

Welcome.

Elegran Tue 20-Jun-17 17:10:34

Baggs I found long hair more trouble than short. When mine gets too long it just droops around my face and annoys me.

I hate getting my hair cut too, so years ago I bought a Phillips harcutting thingy. I have never set foot in a hardressers since (I hope no-one says "yes it shows!!") and neither did DH. I whizz it over my hair every three or four weeks, and just wash my hair and rough dry it so that it gets a bit of body.

It is adjustable up to 40mm. I don't cut the front of my hair with it - that gives me a rather weird-looking fringe, as it follows my rather weird hairline) I do that with comb and scissors, a la posh stylist.

I tried to find the same model, but it has clearly been discontinued long ago. However there is another model which goes up to 42mm, and there may be others even longer. This is it on Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HC9450-13-Motorised-Adjustable/dp/B00YGR72ZY/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1497974108&sr=1-4&keywords=philips+hair+clippers&tag=gransnetforum-21

Perhaps you can charge Mr B for cutting his hair on one of the shorter settings? It would pay for itself in - um - you are the mathematician, you work it out.

Baggs Tue 20-Jun-17 17:36:26

MrB has one of those things, elegran. He has been doing his own hair cuts for a while. He does it outside (usually on the doorstep ?) and, until I trained him to put the dropped hair actually on a compost heap (so that birds and small animals can use it as nesting material), he just left it where it fell! I will check the length settings.

MawBroon Tue 20-Jun-17 17:43:10

Very much looking forward to the finished result Baggs
A friend at St A's had very long hair always scraped back into a bun thingy in her first year.
One day without warning she appeared with the most wonderful "pixie" cut, the transformation was amazing - from what I could see, her social life took a massive upswing too smile
As for hair care, wash and go with a wee tousle with the good hand should do it!

oldgoat Tue 20-Jun-17 18:15:36

I'm getting my hair cut too, on Thursday ,and having it coloured. I usually colour it myself. It's supposed to be 'light golden brown' but three people have recently remarked on my 'red' hair. One person said something about it reflecting my temperament!!! Got to look presentable for the GN meet-up in St. Andrews. I'd love to grow mine but being curly it just gets bigger instead of longer.

soop Tue 20-Jun-17 18:21:15

Oh dear! Andy out!

oldgoat Your hair is beautiful. Natural curls are hard to beat.

I have to log off. Won't be able to return until later tomorrow afternoon. MacS to have his usual check up in Oban hospital.

Should the kitchen need to be moved on to new premises, (20 callers to go) would the last to use it please pick up the key from under the flower pot and do the honours. I would hate for any of you lot to be locked out. We shall keep the name we're using at the mo'. It suits us. smile moon

MawBroon Tue 20-Jun-17 18:23:42

sadsadsad
Might need a magnum (full size) to recover.

MawBroon Tue 20-Jun-17 18:25:11

Good luck macsporran and wishing you both a safe journey or as we say in my hame toon "Safe oot , safe in!"

oldgoat Tue 20-Jun-17 18:25:24

My twin sister and I didn't have our hair cut at all until we were about 13. Our Mum used to do it for us each morning, into those long Victorian ringlets which were tied back with a ribbon. Looking at an old school photo. practically everybody had hair ribbons, either with a chunk tied to one side on the top, or plaits. How I longed to have plaits!

oldgoat Tue 20-Jun-17 18:28:20

Hope the hospital visit goes well soop and MacSporran. Enjoy your fish supper in Oban.

Crafting Tue 20-Jun-17 18:30:16

Just a bit if light reading eh Baggs grin Can't wait to see the new pixie cut smile

cornergran Tue 20-Jun-17 20:50:42

Looking forward to seeing the new hair cut baggs. I've always had short hair, it sort of didn't grow as a child and my Mum had no patience to let it hmm. In any case, it's still short and five minutes after the shower it's dry and ready to go. Although a few more minutes on the styling might help the overall effect. grin. Like the sounds if a DIY cut elegran, although it's appealing the courage is lacking. Hope you are pleased with your new hair colour, oldgoat, you changing your colour or hoping for the colour you thought you had? If you see what I mean confused.

A bit melty here this evening, no breeze for once. Not complaining though as by Thursday we are supposed to be back down to 16 degrees. Help, I'll want a coat smile. Visited a garden on a hill today after my (all very positive) hospital appointment, lovely breeze and lots of shade. Will be sad when this weather turns into our more usual cloud.

Did look at cossies in the way home today, n&g butnthe courage failed. Maybe tomorrow grin.

Hope the hospital visit goes well for macs soop, safe journey and hope you can make the best of the day.

Charleygirl Tue 20-Jun-17 21:47:26

A good trip for both of you soop and MacSporran and enjoy your fish supper. Will the weather not be too hot for you to enjoy it? I am boiling in London.

I am a member of my surgery's PPG and today went to the surgery to spend 3 hours helping patients fill in their annual forms answering questions to help improve the surgery. Myself and the other volunteer were not offered any drink whatsoever so next year as the receptionists could not be bothered neither can I. Add travel time as well and I was not impressed especially in this hot weather. Yes I could have asked but decided not to because I wanted coffee not water. Grumble over.

oldgoat Tue 20-Jun-17 22:09:29

cornergran I'd love to do something really daring with my hair colour but I think I'll probably settle for 'light golden brown ' again and hope it doesn't turn out red this time.

callgirl1 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:35:52

Light golden brown comes out dark brown on me.
Safe journey Soop and MacSporran tomorrow, especially on that long and winding road, take great care.
Baggs, looking forward to seeing the new hairstyle.

Charleygirl Wed 21-Jun-17 09:10:15

With luck this will be the last of the sweltering days in London. Soon I will be moaning because there is a chill in the air.

It is too hot to be moving the kitchen. Tara went out very early this am- she may return for elevenses but she will not find an empty and quiet house.

NanaandGrampy Wed 21-Jun-17 09:12:45

Just a quick pop in - All this talk of hair has made me remember to book an apt for a cut. Nothing as different as yours Baggs.

I am on a mercy mission to Boots. My daughter bought some Soltan products and got a Disney Cars water bottle as a free gift. Jackson as you know is a big fan of cars of any description. This morning he dropped his new bottle and the bottom smashed.

So did his little heart. He rang me ( as Nana I can fix ANYTHING) to tell me how sad he was.

I have thrown on my Super Nana cape and come hell or high water the nice people at Boots are going to give me a new one :-)

Wish me luck !!

annsixty Wed 21-Jun-17 09:43:25

I am quite sure they will SELL you one N&G otherwise a trip to the Disney shop will be on the cards. I don't think we have one near us though now. After seeing the prices they charge I am not surprised.
What are those boys going to do without their Nana round the corner??

Charleygirl Wed 21-Jun-17 09:48:08

I am 100% certain that you will be able to fix something for Jackson. Surely that is your mission in life to fix things for Jackson, Cooper et al?

The builder has rung- he is off to see his GP. He showed me the very large red nasty lump he had under his R)arm yesterday. He was going to a walk in clinic supposedly. His mother had given him Germoline and I told him it would do as much good to smear it on my fence post.

After a night's sleep he cannot move his swollen, painful arm. I think he needs antibiotics asap. I am not sure whether he should take them before or after I bang his head against a brick wall.

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 10:10:27

I expect that lump under his arm is nothing compared to the one on his head, the two black eyes and the foot in plaster charleygirl!!
Serious buggeration for you though. All tradesmen in future should come with a clean bill of health before they start wreaking havoc.

cornergran Wed 21-Jun-17 10:30:31

He must be the most illness-prone, accident- prone, stupidity- prone builder in history, charley. Your patience is legendary but by now even you must spend time each day considering methods for murder grin. It really is time he was out of your life and your home your own.

Good luck super nana, I'm sure you will,prevail and Cooper will be smiling again. Why, oh why. Do they always drop the one thing that they just must have?

Not much happening here today. Feel a little 'odd', blood pressure is right down, usually picks up again in an hour or two so not worried. It better had before we take two granddaughters for their swimming lessons later. The forecast for the location of the (indoor, greenhouse like) pool is 80 degrees plus at 7pm. Does swimming pool water ever boil do you think? I had hoped we could call today off and just mind them at home but Mummy wants them to go. Hmm. She doesn't have to sit in a greenhouse from 5pm to 8.30pm. Can't send Mr C on his own as the younger one still needs changing help, but not from a man! Mutter, mutter, mutter. I'll quit grumbling now, honest smile.

Keep cool if you are still in the heat and dry if the storms have found you.

annsixty Wed 21-Jun-17 11:21:57

Not much colour in my garden but the sweet peas are coming out and my herbs are all new this year and doing well. H is tired if herb butter on everything. I am not good photographer so forgive blur.

Galen Wed 21-Jun-17 11:25:09

The heat is playing havoc with me! I've no energy do anything and my asthma and arthritis are giving me hip.
It's strange as I'm fine in the heat in the Mediterranean, but not this humid stuff!

Galen Wed 21-Jun-17 11:27:30

Happy soltice by the way for any pagans amongst you

oldgoat Wed 21-Jun-17 13:05:15

We had this new arrival in our garden yesterday. It had just left the larval stage and sat on the pelargonium twitching its wings for about an hour.

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 13:18:44

flowers sympathy Galen and others.
Paw can barely put one foot in front of the other. I alas, enjoy no such luxury hmm
(Not accusing YOU of "luxury" just the unnamed person who can expect his tea to be stirred for him ) grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion