Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

You're invited to the Gransnet party

(176 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Jun-17 13:59:05

Hello!

<pokes head over political threads parapet to assess whether or not it's safe to tie up the last of the (apolitical) bunting>...

in preparation for....

..our very own Gransnet Great Get Together! This Sunday 18th June around midday we will be taking part in the nationwide celebrations, in honour of the late Jo Cox and her belief that we have #MoreInCommon.

We would like to invite you all to bring your own Pimms or tipple of choice and a plate of virtual goodies and come join the fun. If you’re up to baking, we’ve got some tasty recipe ideas…

We’ll be giving away spot PRIZES and sharing silly gifs. We invite you all to share a joke, a funny or heartwarming story or just let us know what you’re up to.

If you prefer to meet up with people nearby in real life there’s plenty happening nationwide. You can check out a local Great Get Together here. Or check out your Gransnet Local page to see if anything’s been organised by a local editor.

There’s been so much sadness in recent weeks and this is the perfect opportunity to show our support for each other and our communities. We hope to see you here on Sunday - bunting lovers or not. grin

NanaandGrampy Sat 17-Jun-17 08:48:56

Good news....I can now attend...bad news its because poor old Sam is pooing for England and any other small nation you can think of - so can't leave him with anyone else ( well not without thigh high waders and a strong constitution !!

Sorry it that's TMI ;-)

I shall be bringing bubbly and magnums..... no party can function without those two things !!

Chewbacca Sat 17-Jun-17 10:20:57

Sorry to hear about Sam NanaandGrampy, hope he's OK. Glad you're coming to party though. Looks like it will be well attended with lots of good stuff! My cats bum lemon drizzle cake is ready and waiting, along with cucumber sandwiches sorry phoenix.

NanaandGrampy Sat 17-Jun-17 10:41:49

My little DGC would adore your cats bum lemon drizzle cake Chew !! That's right up little boys streets !!

PoshGran Sat 17-Jun-17 14:05:43

Tipsy Ginger Cake is made & quietly sozzling in the fridge...
Will see you all tomorrow......now off to find some good Tim Vine jokes.
smile

shysal Sat 17-Jun-17 14:28:31

I shall bring a baked butternut squash, bacon and leek frittata for a change from cake.
I shall be glad to be indoors tomorrow if my neighbour's gardener is here again. He has been shouting above the noise of his hedge trimmer, telling his assistant that he could run the country better than any politician, then revealing in graphic detail all about Gemma who gives the best blow job in the county grin! Hope the party music will drown him out.

Granny23 Sat 17-Jun-17 23:49:06

My problem is what to wear. For most of you the forecast is for a sizzling hot day and I have a yet to be worn, gorgeous floaty dress (a 'couldn't resist Thrift Shop' buy). However, here the forecast says cool, cloudy, chance of a shower and my new trendy, flowery, pac-a mac thingy would look ridiculous over the frock. I am going to be up all night thinking of alternative outfits but at least I have prepped both cold and hot dishes.

Oh No, there are shoes to consider too - the white sandals? or will I need wellies? Decisions, decisions..........

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 18-Jun-17 00:27:02

shysal is the gardener good looking? Never hurts to have a staff member around to serve us drinks! shockwinkgrin

Grannyknot Sun 18-Jun-17 06:46:37

granny23 I have a floaty number too, bought on impulse, and the only way I can describe the colour is neon yellow. What.was.I.thinking?! Oh, wait, this is a virtual party so I can wear it grin

Pittcity Sun 18-Jun-17 08:15:30

I have a bucket of sun cream and a parasol that can double as a brolly.

inishowen Sun 18-Jun-17 09:12:54

I will check in later. I might share the bottle of gin I received as a gift yesterday!

annsixty Sun 18-Jun-17 09:13:04

I am rather portly but will still wear shorts and my legs are hair free. Is it too early for rum punch? It is fruity and refreshing and I will go easy on the rum but feel free to add your own.
Quiches for my food contribution. We are sure to have a wonderful time.

jacqui67 Sun 18-Jun-17 09:15:53

Love this site, and all the different opinions, think my chance of enjoy at midday are none existant but maybe can seesome comments later.

rafichagran Sun 18-Jun-17 09:23:13

I shall enjoy some Jack Daniels and Lemonade with you. smile

Pittcity Sun 18-Jun-17 09:31:05

I have shorts on too annsixty. You are advised to wear sunglasses as the glare from my white legs is blinding!

SusieCook Sun 18-Jun-17 09:38:56

This is great, thanks for the invite!

mancgirl Sun 18-Jun-17 09:42:57

I will bring a Manchester tart -no comments please - not a personal description!! For those not familiar it's like a pastry flan, layer of jam at the bottom, set custard next with coconut sprinkled on top. Looking forward to a great partywinex

grandtanteJE65 Sun 18-Jun-17 10:14:07

No baking here, I'm afraid, I am trying to get rid of the spare tyre that has deposited itself on my tummy and regions south.

I'm fairly new to gransnet and am enjoying meeting your all.

Have a good time.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 18-Jun-17 10:14:51

Morning all - think we need lots of ice cream for today's party. Hot hot hot. But to get us in the mood, our first wee party game. Tell us about the kindest thing you did for a friend/or they did for you - someone will win a lovely book prize. We will announce the winner later, along with a couple more chances to win

jefm Sun 18-Jun-17 10:20:25

Laragransnet, I personally don't feel that river walk needed an apology, a chill pill and humour factor maybe. You are absolutely right I enjoy the political threads but they get ridulous at times. Listening to my DIL I am surprised mums net wouldn't make Such remarks.....really?? Keep the sunshine going

ninathenana Sun 18-Jun-17 10:32:58

Just checking in to see if we've kicked off yet.
Blueberry muffins ready and a couple of bottles chillin in the fridge.

Pittcity Sun 18-Jun-17 10:47:01

I think the kindness prize should go to annsixty for all the love and friendship she has given rubylady recently.

Grannyknot Sun 18-Jun-17 10:47:35

Kindness done to me: My first baby was born in high summer and was weeks old. We were living in a block of flats, second floor. The heat was unbearable and I was home alone with a fretful and crying baby, I could not soothe him. Then someone knocked at the door and I opened it to see a handsome** young man standing there. I'm your neighbour he said, and I'm a student doctor. Is there anything I can help you with your baby? He took the baby, stripped him down to only a nappy, placed him tummy down along his forearm, supporting the baby's head in his palm. Within what seemed moments, the crying stopped and the little one dropped off.

I had forgotten about this incident, but the heat today and the question from GN has made me remember how kind that young man had been. **I can still picture him today, 40 years later smile

NanaandGrampy Sun 18-Jun-17 10:59:59

Me too Pittcity

Grannyknot Sun 18-Jun-17 11:14:56

I made the Orange Fruit Tea Bread. (Never got further than the first recipe on that page). You can tell from the colour I kinda improvised a bit ... smile

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 18-Jun-17 11:18:19

I agree too Pittcity.

My 82 year old FiL is housebound at the moment and when his local chippy heard, it sent his usual Friday night fish and chips to him via a neighbour. It gave him a real boost.