Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to Gransnet

(260 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Jul-17 11:16:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pour yourself a cuppa and use this thread to introduce yourself and tell us how you found us. brew cupcake

Oriel Wed 19-Jul-17 12:04:06

Hi,

I'm a 62 year old female from Sussex. I'm lucky enough to have been able to retire early and am just waiting for my husband to be able to do the same so we can go off travelling.

I signed up to Gransnet after having been on Mumsnet for a while. Sadly I found myself feelings at odds with a lot of the opinions expressed there. I feel I have a lot more in common with folk here - I guess because of the age group.

shysal Wed 19-Jul-17 12:10:03

Welcome Oriel flowers. You will find us a bit calmer than 'the other place', but we do sometimes have our moments! Enjoy!

Tea and cake Wed 19-Jul-17 14:42:04

Hi. I've recently taken early retirement and the freedom is great! Takes a bit of getting used to though. and I have to stifle the feelings of guilt about doing nothing at times.? Sure it won't take long!

Tea and cake Wed 19-Jul-17 14:44:11

Oh, and I found Gransnet while looking for something else on the internet. Found the name a bit off putting at first!

shysal Wed 19-Jul-17 15:27:56

Welcome Tea and Cake, flowers. I have been retired for 10 years and still have those feelings of guilt smile! Gransnet sounds a bit straight-laced doesn't it? Nothing could be further from the truth! I should warn you that it can be addictive. Hope you enjoy all that the site has to offer.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Jul-17 16:34:39

Welcome Oriel and Tea & Cake. Shysal's right. Nothing straight-laced about GN wink. So, we're interested. If not Gransnet, what would you call the site?

Tea and cake Wed 19-Jul-17 18:00:48

Ooh, how about putting it up for general discussion? It's just the word Gran makes me think of a white haired little old lady with a bun in old fashioned clothes- my own grandmother in fact! And although she was a very feisty lady it wasn't something I ever wanted to model myself on. I appreciate that I may be alone in this ?... !! No offence meant to grans anywhere ... Plus it's not only for grandmas so people without grandchildren may give it a miss when they might well enjoy it.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Jul-17 20:46:17

Good idea! And yes, we know what you mean. We do think it's worth discussing. Might put it to the rest of the community and see what people feel. smile

merlotgran Wed 19-Jul-17 22:32:32

I don't mind Gransnet. I'm a gran after all. At least it's not condescending like 'Silver Surfers'

Cherrytree59 Thu 20-Jul-17 00:12:59

Gransnet seems to follow on from mumsnet quite nicely smile

Tea and cake Thu 20-Jul-17 07:10:49

Yes, it's probably purely personal to me. Not helped by the fact that my grandmother was a stern lady who only rated one of her grandchildren much, and that wasn't me....

harrigran Thu 20-Jul-17 08:03:25

I have been here from the start and am very comfortable with the word Gran, after all that is what I am.

Auntieflo Thu 20-Jul-17 08:39:44

I have been here for a couple of years now, and really like the name, so I don't want it changed at all. But knowing me, that's probably the kiss of death smile

Teetime Thu 20-Jul-17 09:00:03

I have to say I have difficulty getting people involved in something called Gransnet when its aimed at the 50 plus profile especially men. Several other groups exists so we would need something that stands out - does it have to be related to anything at all - could it just be a word like Inspire their is already a Baby Boomers on Facebook. I would be up for a change.

Pittcity Thu 20-Jul-17 12:47:54

A couple of people I know have misheard the name as Grandsnet.
More grandparent than Grandma!

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 13:40:43

'Inspire' doesn't really say anything about the site, does it?

I suppose a few hippies or those looking for inspirational guidance might have a look, but not ordinary women and men over 50, most of whom happen to be grandarents.

If it ain't broke...

Elegran Thu 20-Jul-17 13:50:02

Posted somehow on the wrong thread - I posted
" Teetime When I was a new editor of a Gransnet Local page I mentioned it at a hobby group I went to - all people of at least 50, most of them much more. The apathetic silence was deafening, apart from one (man) who said "We don't want to hear a lot of people going on about their grandchildren." I told them about all the other things that are discussed but the image of a crowd of old women gossiping was too strong.

I don't think it is easy to change the name of an organisation overnight though. All the paperwork, all the marketing, all the business and journalist connections, all of it are in the name of Gransnet."

Mapleleaf Thu 20-Jul-17 19:13:53

The name is fine by me. Although I'm not a Gran, that hasn't been a problem at all. Such a lot of wide ranging discussions are held on here, not just "grandparent" things - though I hasten to add, there's nothing wrong with those topics either! I find most things on Gransnet interesting.

Emmaline Thu 20-Jul-17 21:39:28

Very interesting forum if only I knew how to put my details on my profile page ... I have 3 children 7 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren! HELP!!

shysal Fri 21-Jul-17 09:13:07

Welcome Emmaline flowers. The profile difficulty may not be with you. Some say that a member had no grandchildren in one place and lists the ones they have in another! I am using the desktop site where 'My Gransnet' etc is listed at the bottom of the page. Not sure about the mobile site.

Nelliemoser Mon 24-Jul-17 06:34:43

I would not enter any details about my number of DGCs dates of birth etc. It is just another attempt to get info for potential marketing purposes.

Talk about them but keep them anonymous.

GN works as it is. People have seem to lurk on it for a bit and then decide if it's for them or not. I have been on it for 5 yrs now.

Ambergirl Mon 24-Jul-17 20:34:33

I have literally found this site and signed up right now! Hoping I can find some comfort here! Have a daughter who has emigrated to Aus....They are happy and full of opportunity, but I am bereft.....Lucky enough to be able to visit each year, but it isn't the same, and when she has children I just never imagined being so far from her. My son now lives in London and is doing well. He won't be back to live either. I have 2 children, happy, healthy and doing well in the world, but oh how I miss them. I am about to take early retirement as am lucky to be able to. This will give me more time to travel to Aus, and my job is long hours and very stressful and I need to pull back. I hope to go back a few days here and there when they need relief. I am however feeling "Is this it" What am I going to do with my days. I have always been very busy, so hope I can fill them. My husband is hoping to retire soon and we will travel, but nothing fills that deep seated aching for my children and this oh so empty nest....Any tips out there??

shysal Tue 25-Jul-17 07:29:51

Welcome Ambergirl flowers. There are many Gransnetters in the same position, hope you will find empathy and suggestions on here. You will find that this particular thread doesn't get much attention, but if you want to start a new discussion you will get a great response I am sure. Alternatively searching the forums will bring up several previous threads on the same subject. I hope you will enjoy all that GN has to offer. If you are not careful you will waste spend too much time on here, it can be addictive smile!

NannyJan53 Tue 25-Jul-17 09:47:58

Hi, I am 63, live in the West Midlands, and retired end of May. I dont get SP until next March though! I have 4 lovely granddaughters aged 13 down to 6. Almost 2 months of retirement now and slowly getting used to the slower pace of life (already wondering how I used to get up at 6am!) Love being able to spend more time with the grandchildren and my 87 year old Mum, and meet up with friends for leisurely lunches. My partner is 66 and still working! Looking forward to next year when he will retire and we are planning to buy a Touring Caravan.