Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soop's pleasant (if boring) kitchen for friendly folk and precious pets.

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 25-Jul-17 16:40:30

Here we go again...

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 12:22:14

Ah, a new kitchen, pretty colour too, but is that gingham covered sofa a bit twee? grin As long as it's comfy, that's alright.That moggy is still sleeping on the island though ( does he ever move Soop ?) cafe if there is any going please, and is there carrot cake to be had?
Maw could Hattie sleep in your bedroom at night, would that help?
Hope the chest infection clears up, they do make you feel horrid ( had 3 of them this year.)Poor Paw what a time he has had.
Talking of wedding pictures...when one of our dd's was flicking through our wedding albumn, she said ( perfectly seriously) 'oh, you were pretty then!'
hmm

MawBroon Wed 26-Jul-17 12:29:04

Who ever said the Kitchen was boring? How very dare they!
It is an ancient Chinese curse to wish someone "May you live in interesting times" so "boring" if such it is, is fine by me.

I am amused by the stooshie I have caused by commenting on Theresa May's frock grin Sexist, snide being among the more reasonable comments !!
They should look at our Soop for stylish, Galen for pearls classy and Baggs for funky and original.
Fortunately it is all so trivial that the disapprobation leaves me agog with indifference grin
Had the very nice Stannah stairlift man round, he's originally from North Berwick and has kept the accent . Very helpful too.

Crafting Wed 26-Jul-17 13:45:29

maw sorry to hear paw has nasty bug. Fingers crossed for the new antibiotics. DH had a bad infection recently and the std antibiotics did nothing. An intravenous injection of what the doc referred to as "domestos" (kills all known germs) worked pretty quickly. I do hope whatever paw gets has him feeling better soon.

roses how could you ??? Roryis not a moggy he is royalty ?!

cornergran Wed 26-Jul-17 13:45:31

Love the photos maw. Hmm, sounds as if Hattie may need a bit longer to settle. Good that she is attaching to you though. Really pleased there was no more midnight paddling.

We've decided we are in the midst of interesting times and you are right, a curse it is.

Sorry, roses but the comment about your wedding photo did make me laugh grin.

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 13:48:27

grin yes, 'out of the mouths of babes and sucklings' as Bertie Wooster used to say.

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 13:53:04

Well, whenever I pop into the kitchen Crafting there is always a furry thing asleep on either the island or the work surface( once on the AGA!)
As it looks like a furry ball, hard to tell what it is, Rory or Geronimo from the Argy Bargy Cafe.I see now that it does have a diamante collar, so Royalty indeed.grin

downsized Wed 26-Jul-17 15:11:13

Ooo, I'm late to the new extension, I see it's already well underway.

My condolences to gagagran too, it is a sad time for you all but glad to hear your sister has support. It means so much when it feels like the world as you know it has crumbled.flowers

I've had a busy day running errands. It is hot but there is a pleasant breeze for a change. I have just given in and put the a/c on now I'm home again, the dog and I deserve it grin

Speaking of dogs, dear Buzz sheds fur more than any other animal I've known. I sweep/Hoover several times a day but it is impossible to shift it. I have just (don't laugh) hoovered the bit of artificial turf in the backyard! My neighbours must think I'm crazy.

I love your wedding photos Maw and both mothers had splendid hats! Reminds me of my Nana who was very extravagant when it came to buying hats. She was never seen outdoors without a titfer grin

I also send best wishes for Paw. He really has had more than his fair share of ill health and I sincerely hope he will soon feel better. flowers

Nearly forgot! Who says we are boring? It matters not. They don't need to read our chit-chat if it doesn't suit them. I avoid threads which don't appeal to me but don't feel the need to criticize those who enjoy them. Please don't waste a moment of your time on mean-spirited comments, dear soop. We all love you lots and appreciate the pleasant atmosphere in your ever popular kitchen.

Now, who's for a brew?

Tizliz Wed 26-Jul-17 15:14:12

Just watched my daughter's graduation ceremony for her master's degree online. After an hour of a constant stream of people my attention wavered and I nearly missed her. Glad we didn't go down to Manchester to see this - all that travelling for 15 secs on stage. She knows we are proud of her (single mother with 4 children and started her accountancy degree from scratch, had to work all the time as her ex was not good with maintenance payments).

Sorry for bragging - but it is allowed here isn't it?

varian Wed 26-Jul-17 15:23:51

Congratulations to your daughter and to you. You have every right to be very proud of her.

Galen Wed 26-Jul-17 15:57:00

Heartiest congratulations

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Jul-17 16:33:08

Huge congrats Tizliz from someone who did her first degree at the grand old age of 32 with 2 kids !!

I remember a university questionnaire asking how I found the social life and I wondered where I was supposed to find in between kids, 5 part time jobs, studying etc.

So all credit to your daughter , it's a huge achievement. I bet she feels really proud too.

soop Wed 26-Jul-17 16:42:11

What is it about Wednesday afternoons? Today, return from ironing duty, log on, read through messages, respond and, hey ho...the screen freezes and I have to get off the computer in order to start afresh. Yet another buggeration to test my equilibrium.

So, going backwards (through the messages) I shall try my best to catch up.

Hello again varian Have you been on your hols?

Tizliz Brag away. You are rightly thrilled that your daughter has triumphed. She is a star. You think so and us lot agree. Do you have a bottle of bubbly chilling? Enjoy!

downsized Your kind words, together with many other supportive messages, have lifted my spirits sky high. A huge THANK YOU one and all. You are very special people.flowers

Maw hmm Paw continues to give us all cause for concern. He is a tough cookie. Look after yourself. It won't do anyone any favours if you become over stressed.
The photos are from a time when ladies loved their hats and wore them with panache. I also like the bridesmaids outfits. They put me in mind of Laura Ashley fashions.
Hattie is new to the home and family and routine. She will settle, she's a very lucky girl to have been adopted by you.

roses Crafting you are both half-way right. Rory is a moggie who thinks that he's royalty. wink

roses right again! I have deliberately chosen the most naff, twee, dinky furnishings for the latest kitchen. Did you see the fluffy cushions? I rather like the fact that, being shag-pile, they meld in with the hairy creatures lolling all over the sofa. By the way, ditsy cucumber sandwiches (without crusts) have been prepared for you lot to nibble on. After which, wheel in the trolley bearing the cake. grin

soop Wed 26-Jul-17 16:51:53

Galen x When does the crew of the boat that you're to sail on realise that they are to have the privilege of your company?

Nana What did the doctor say? It's unlike you to have aches and pains and stiff whatevers. Get well soon. sunshine

Lovely to have you in the new twee kitchen moomin and Marydoll and Swanny and Lona and granniequeenie and kitty and Bella and all our special Granspals. You lot are the cream of the crop.

Galen Wed 26-Jul-17 17:15:02

Afraid you won't hear much from me until the end of September. Could be a nice break for you.
The tribunal world has gone mad. I think all the other medical panel members must be on holiday!
I'm practically working full time from Monday. 4 days next week
Hey ho it pays for peals and cruises

MawBroon Wed 26-Jul-17 17:27:33

You mean that is a shag pile cushion I have been feeding treats to? shock
I thought it was very well behaved!! blush
Nice kitty, kitty.

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 17:31:27

Are the 'hairy creatures lolling about on the sofa' Gransnetters Soop?
Time they got the Veet out perhaps.grin

Greyduster Wed 26-Jul-17 17:39:55

Well, I turn my back for five minutes and there is a new kitchen, complete with the smell of baking and fresh coffee, and the happy sound of corks being pulled!
Gaga I was very sorry to hear about your BiL and I am glad your sister has family around to help; my condolences to you all. Tough times.
Tizliz if it were my daughter the bragging would know no bounds. You must be so proud of her! ?
N&G I hope the problem with your neck is short lived and will not require too much in the way of treatment. They are a plague these aches and pains. On Monday my hand and wrist ached like the very devil so that I had to break the habit of a lifetime and take painkillers. The next day it was fine - may be the onset of arthritis I think. As for cake, I have saved you some of one I made yesterday, which the locusts have been at - if we cut it thinly, it may go round hmm.....
GS has been here today, and his mum briefly but they are going away tomorrow so she had to go home after lunch and finish packing. They were both soaked when they arrived as they had been to the country park and got caught in the rain. GS changed into his pyjamas, and she refused a pair of my jogging bottoms - admittedly she is a size ten and I am (she whispers) a 16 ?. We were late going to the swimming pool this afternoon and the session was full, so we went out and played cricket - and ended up having to dry his clothes again! I also tried to introduce him to the intricacies of proper watercolour painting this afternoon, with mixed success. He does now understand how the paper responds to the paint, but his technique is still rather cavalier! The apron doesn't do anything for his street cred!
Soop the kitchen is a haven, and long may it reign with you at the helm. Let others call it boring - it is nothing of the sort.

NonnaW Wed 26-Jul-17 18:23:32

Sorry to put a bit of a downer on the new kitchen but I've just heard that my lovely sister in law died this evening. She was DH's older sister, and they were very close. She was such a lovely lady, much loved by her family. The Parkinson's galloped on at the end causing her to not eat or drink. Feeling a bit tearful.

soop Wed 26-Jul-17 18:24:46

Oh Galen what will us lot do without your merry banter. Tut. wink

Maw and roses You should both go to Specsavers. Is it any wonder that the shag-pile cushions look beyond tacky. Goodness only knows how I'm going to restore them to their naffiest best. Sigh!

Greyduster Can you hear the thunder of clod hopping feet as that lot barge through the door and demand cake. You shouldn't add pics. You know how up-front and demanding we can be.
I am thinking that your grandson is taking his art very seriously. The look of concentration on his face says a lot. Isn't he handsome? I love the apron. That's so sensible.

Wishing you a pleasant evening. The sun is about to put in an appearance. I may get to photo an interesting sky a little later. smile moon

soop Wed 26-Jul-17 18:26:40

Nonna I've just this moment seen your sad message. Bless you. I would love to put a comforting arm around your shoulders. flowers

MawBroon Wed 26-Jul-17 18:31:00

Sincere sympathies Nonna how very very sad and hard for you to see your DH grieve especially for a sibling.
Life is hard.

Swanny Wed 26-Jul-17 18:40:48

Nonna (((hugs))) and tissues winging their way to you. You are allowed to be tearful you know. My condolences to all the family, PD can be so mean flowers

Tizliz Wed 26-Jul-17 18:54:19

Life is so up and down for us oldies. Grandchildren/children take you up and illnesses bring you back down with a bang. Good that we can come here to brag/vent/cry/laugh as needed.

I have bony elbows so I got to the cake first grin

Swanny Wed 26-Jul-17 19:01:12

Maw don't like the sound of Paw's chest infection, hope the super-duper a/bs do the trick. One of my neighbours has had a really bad chest for at least 3 weeks but wouldn't go to the doctor. She'd recently had an infection following an operation and just didn't want to take any more a/bs. She eventually saw her GP who gave her a prescription for more but the 'silly' woman hasn't had them made up yet. Surely she realises it's not going away on it's own by now?

Love the photos of the bridesmaids. The current photo could easily be swapped with the original as regards the clothes. What goes around, comes around eh? smile I had similar when maid-of-honour for my sister's wedding in '71, except the top was the same mauve colour as the skirt, which was patterned. Thank goodness I only have black n white photos of it grin

cornergran Wed 26-Jul-17 19:08:46

So sorry, nonna, sad news indeed. Of course you are tearful, why wouldn't you be? Be kind to yourself, please

We are a kitchen of mixed news, aren't we? tizliz that's wonderful news. I was 42 at my graduation, I dont think my Dad stopped smiling for a week, those sharing a home with me were just relieved the studying was over smile.

Hope your pain in the neck soon passes, n&g, they surely are a right pain in the neck. You are doing exactly he right thing in getting advice early.

Had a cooking day with grandchildren today, the kitchen is, err, sort of re-decorated. Guess I' best get to sorting it

Take care all

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion