Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soop's pleasant (if boring) kitchen for friendly folk and precious pets.

(1000 Posts)
soop Tue 25-Jul-17 16:40:30

Here we go again...

soop Tue 25-Jul-17 16:42:28

Happy as can be -
All good pals and jolly good company.

Ta dah! cupcake wine brew [café] flowers and the rest.

Bellanonna Tue 25-Jul-17 16:48:11

Sad news Gagagran and even though you were expecting it, it's still hard to accept the finality. It's so good that you are there for your sister. Tough days ahead for her. ??

Bellanonna Tue 25-Jul-17 16:49:26

Lovely to see the new kitchen, soop. Never boring to the Kitcheners!!!!

cornergran Tue 25-Jul-17 17:11:33

Boring soop? Think we've been in different kitchens smile. Always good to be here.

Sad news, gagagran, no matter how long in the coming its always so hard to lose someone who is loved. flowers for you all. I know you will support your sister, but please also think about yourself.

Good point about the photo kitty, who was the acrobatic photographer?

NanaandGrampy Tue 25-Jul-17 17:15:36

I laughed at our new title soop .

Maybe to people who don't frequent it might appear so but underneath it's a bubbling hot pot of life !!

Very sad for you Gagagran , no matter how prepared we are for bad news it somehow still takes us by surprise .

My BILs mum passed away unexpectedly yesterday and I feel for them. Apart from the sad loss , they have followed a lng held dream and leave for Spain in a month, planning on being gone at least a year if not indefinitely.

So on top of all that they will now have to drive 4 hours away to help support his Dad and make plans for his care and life.

Life does like to throw us a curved ball ?

grannyqueenie Tue 25-Jul-17 17:16:01

Boring us? Never! Sorry to hear your news
Gagagran, thinking of you as you make your travel plans and are no doubt in touch with your sister too. flowers
What a lovely photo of you two young lovebirds, maw, Happy Anniversary to you both.
Tales of accidents with visiting grandchildren make me take a sharp intake of breath, kitty! Note to self, make sure gd always puts her helmet on when cycling. She's very late in arriving due to an unscheduled visit to the opticians, I'm glad the broken glasses didn't happen on my watch wink but mustn't tempt fate by sounding smug!
I can't remember who's swanky new kitchen I spied? Have to admit to a touch of kitchen envy We've been talking about ours but I can't see we'd gain enough space to justify the expense.... but on the other hand....smile
Sadly have only virtual cake to leave on the table, I'm trying to to make any here as I only eat it. Good luck with the tidying up soop, I'm sure if you keep smiling at your guest he/she won't notice anything else grin

kittylester Tue 25-Jul-17 17:54:49

Well, I'm glad to see the new kitchen. The old one was looking a little 'twee'! grin Supportive - always, entertaining -definitely. Boring - never. wine

I'm sorry about your BiL gaga but waiting for the inevitiable takes its toll too. I'm sure you will miss him but will be a great help to your sister when she needs it!

soop, there are some people that I am happy to have in my house just as it is but others where I need to do a bit of spit and polish - I know who I prefer. grin The advent of my ex Sister in Law used to see me spinning like a top to tidy up - to the extent of re-ironing my already ironed table cloth!

I took the photograph of the intrepid roofers from inside. we have a 'glass corridor' (if we were posh it would be called a verriere I think!) about the size of a small conservatory between the two sloping roofs. Did you all think I was bonkers!! Persie and I sat inside and watched. grin

Before I went out this afternoon, I rounded up all the children's stuff for DH to take back home with them. When I got back, there on the kitchen table, was Persie's Jemima Puddleduck - essential for sleeping!! I was so angry

Then I spotted a new bottle of perfume on my dressing table that he had bought because he spotted I was almost out. It had been there since Friday blush

Hoping for news of Paw.

Off to do a little more post DGC tidying!

callgirl1 Tue 25-Jul-17 17:59:13

Happy Anniversary to Maw and Paw, lovely photo, isn`t he tall? Hope Hattie`s second night is better for her.....and you!
So sorry to hear your news Gagagran, even though it was expected, it`s never easy to hear.
Love the new kitchen Soop. Mine won`t be this tidy for long Downsized (still want to call you Bella!!)I`ve never washed my floor so much, and as for polishing the worktops, I`ve never done it before, but then the worktops weren`t conducive to polishing before. I just wish that David could see it.
Kitty, I bet Bertie loved it up on that roof, also willing to bet that he`s forgiven you by now for shouting at him.

soop Tue 25-Jul-17 18:01:50

It cheers me no end to have you lot around. There have been times when I've felt dispirited by some of the disparaging comments that the kitchen seems to attract. A bit like a pesky blue bottle fly finds the jam. And then I thought...so what! We mean well. We do care. We will continue to enjoy each other's company for as long as we choose. Sniff! Bottoms up! Slainte! Bring on the cake. The more the merrier. smile moon

Bellanonna Tue 25-Jul-17 18:05:31

Gosh, what a thoughtful husband you have Kitty envy

Lona Tue 25-Jul-17 18:48:05

kitty Your dh is a gem ☺
Maw belated happy anniversary sunshinewine
gaga So sorry to hear your sad news flowers

soop Your kitchen is a haven of peace and kindness, never doubt that you are needed xxx

Swanny Tue 25-Jul-17 20:24:40

Not been able to join you all day, so I'm a bit behind (sounds like one of those seaside postcards we never see anymore!)

callgirl the kitchen looks gorgeous envy I'm sure I'd have it cluttered PDQ if it was mine though. I'm not the tidiest of persons but I usually know what's where.

Maw many congratulations to you and Paw on both your anniversary and Hattie joining the family. Hope she settles soon. I had trouble counting her legs till I realised one was her tail blush

gaga sincere condolences on the death of your BIL. Knowing it's inevitable doesn't make it any easier to cope with flowers

Crafting Tue 25-Jul-17 20:25:38

gaga so sorry to hear your news about your BIL. flowers

soop never feel dispirited about what others may say about the kitchen. Those who mock actually have no idea of what goes on here. They may peek through the window and see chat about cupcake or new pets but what they don't hang around long enough to understand is the genuine caring and support given to all. We do care about each other and none more than you soop.

Three cheers for soop hip hip hooray ???????

Swanny Tue 25-Jul-17 20:32:38

kitty I've think I've worked out why I feel drained after looking after DGS - it's because he's someone else's child. I'm sure I feel more responsible for him than I did when his dad was little, or maybe I'm just more aware of all that could go wrong. It's got nothing to do with his autism - I remember being suddenly overwhelmed by the responsibility when I looked after him for a week when he was 2 months old shock

soop love the new kitchen - always pleasant and never boring. A good blether in the sunshine or round the kitchen table is one of the joys of life and IMO not enough people make time in their day to enjoy it. DGS and I will be making cookies later this week so I'll drop some in for all to share.

(((hugs))) for all who want them as well as those who need them x

MawBroon Tue 25-Jul-17 23:00:06

Gosh don't kitchens come round quickly!
Dear gagagran my sincerest sympathy to you and your family. The preoccupations of our lives seem so trivial when we face the big challenges.
Thank you for the kind remarks about our wedding anniversary. I felt very nostalgic. One of Paws sisters (also one of our bridesmaids) came up for the day and I had joked that she should come in her bridesmaid's dress. They wore (very 60's/70's) pie frill blouses, long velvet skirts which were meant to reflect the colours of the stained glass window in University Chapel, one wore Ruby red, one deep burgundy and one wore a deep velvet all with wide cummerbunds and their hair up with little ringlets in front of their ears.
Bless her she did too!! Not the original blouse but a good copy! She refused to wear it over to the hospital,though sad but it raised a smile when I showed Paw her picture.
He is rather poorly with a staphylococcus (I think) chest infection which the broad spectrum anti-b's have not succeeded in knocking on the head so the doctors are pinning their hopes on some big gun anti-b's. There may not be a plan B, so this week could be tense. He is very weak, there is a strain on his heart and he is now very thin. However, he has surprised us before and the fat lady ain't sung yet.
Even if the skinny black bitch downstairs is noisier than last night. ??
PS cornergran I too often need "out" in the night, but I try not to do it on the kitchen floor. At least tonight I will not make the same mistake of going downstairs in slipper socks straight into the puddle inside the kitchen door!!
Wellies? grin

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Jul-17 00:05:11

Maw I thought I was late going to bed. Sorry to hear Paw now has a bug I hope he feels better soon. Look after your self and Hattie. xx

Marydoll Wed 26-Jul-17 05:41:42

*Soop , please don't let anyone spoil the kitchen for you. It is a haven of friendship and comfort. I can't sleep, so I'm taking my time to read through the posts. I tend to lurk, as I don't have any pets to write about.
Maw Happy anniversary and I am quite upset that* Paw* has a nasty bug.
I'm sorry about your BIL Gaga .
Looking at my own BIL yesterday, I'm worried he is failing badly. He has lost a stone in weight in just over a week. It is so awful to watch loved ones failing.

Gagagran Wed 26-Jul-17 06:26:39

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts. There have been a lot of family e-mails filling the airways and I am confident that my sister has stalwart support from her daughter and son-in-law. They are dealing with it all for her. She is coping very well at present. The funeral is next Thursday.

Maw - I am so sorry that Paw is so unwell and can envisage him in MK hospital (presume that's where he is?) as I know it so well from DH's stays there. All you can do is take it a day at a time and when that is too much, an hour at a time. Thinking of you and loved the bridesmaid picture! Hattie is still adjusting to her new home - she will settle in time and will be a great comfort and friend.

To all our dear GNs who are troubed or sad I am sending a little sunshine. Now I must start looking for flights!

cornergran Wed 26-Jul-17 07:40:50

Love the sound of your bridesmaids outfits, maw. Your sister in law looks good in the modern version. I'm so sorry paw has a difficult infection, sending love to you both. Sounds as if we will have to have a stern word with Hattie, her Mum needs her sleep and not to be paddling in the night. Please take care of yourself maw.

A busy and sad time ahead, gagagran, pleased there is so much support for your sister, good luck with finding a flight. You sound very worried, marydoll. That's a lot of weight in a week, sending warmest wishes to you and your family

Your husband is a gem, kitty, thoughtful man. I did wonder if you had sent Persie up on the roof with the camera, smile, pleased there was a safer way.

Never feel dispirited about the kitchen, soop, this space is valued by many and as they say you can't please all the people smile

(((Hugs))) to all who need one, warm thoughts too all who struggle in whatever way.

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Jul-17 08:40:48

Morning all !

I'm a bit tired of clouds and rain so hoping for something a bit brighter today.

I love the picture Maw , my kids die laughing at our wedding pictures... I'll try and find one .

Sorry to hear Paw is not feeling so good, hopefully they can get the infection sorted and then he can build his strength up again.

Don't you worry about us 'Kitcheners' soop we're made of sterner stuff.

I'm off to the docs today , nothing major but have a pain in my neck, or my shoulder, or it might be my head;-) - whatever , I have a pain. So just checking in that its nothing major and then I can book in with the osteopath for some treatment.

I hope there's some decent cake when I get back ... I shall need it !!

moomin Wed 26-Jul-17 08:47:35

Venturing into the new Kitchen - just as good as the old one, slightly larger with room for new kitcheners and those (like me!) who only pop in from time to time. I love the humour and support between Kitcheners, fair cheers me up I can tell you. Maw I'm so sorry to hear Paw has this nasty infection, my thoughts are with you both.

DH is out all day today, so I'm debating what mischief I can get up to in his absence!

Bellanonna Wed 26-Jul-17 08:57:21

Maw I'm so sorry about the wretched chest infection. Please God the stronger a.bs will help once they're started It's pitiful to watch someone with that kind of cough. You have an amazing coping strategy - your unique sense of humour. I actually laughed out loud twice when I read your post. It's a tough time for you, but keep your chin up and here's hoping Paw will turn the corner soon.

soop no need to feel dispirited. It's interesting that people feel able to comment negatively when they don't actually contribute to the kitchen. They must read the posts, but I wonder why. Odd!

Marydoll ??

MawBroon Wed 26-Jul-17 11:35:15

If you can bear it, here are a couple with the bridesmaids. Paw's sisters were 17 and 19 and the third girl was a University friend called Phil Kennedy with whom I have sadly lost touch. If any Scottish grans have come across her or her husband Roddy I would be thrilled. The sis-in-law who came yesterday is the one on the right in the deep violet skirt. Sadly the pictures have faded. Finally one of the Mums, my mum on the left, MIL in a gorgeous hat on the right.
I'll shut up about weddings now,.
On another note suffice it to say Hattie went on longer and louder last night but shut up about 12 and was fine through till 6 -clean and dry, when I couldn't resist coming downstairs, mentally girding my loins for what I might find.
She is very calm and placid during the day, but does like to have me in her sights, I fear I might have left her too often yesterday visiting Paw 3 tines during the day and evening.
Hattie has a fun trip to the vets today just to register, be weighed, get treats and some worming tablets as I got a nasty shock when I cleared up her doings on a walk yesterday. ?

Galen Wed 26-Jul-17 12:15:46

Boring?*BORING*?
Only in the sense that we drill straight to the heart of the matter!?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion