Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Note to Self.....

(192 Posts)
illtellhim Tue 29-Aug-17 07:45:56

Today, I will do one thing to help myself.
It doesn't matter how small the step is, as long as it helps me move forward.

MawBroon Wed 30-Aug-17 10:34:53

Sorry kim - not so much a query as an hmm ironic observation. smile

Elegran Wed 30-Aug-17 10:59:54

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Just saying, no special significance.

Bellanonna Wed 30-Aug-17 11:09:22

Kim, you could PM the person and ask if they were happy to PM you back with their address. Someone kindly did this for me and sent DGS a lovely book. I was happy to give my address as the person was a regular poster.

Kim19 Wed 30-Aug-17 13:39:12

Thank you for the help and guidance here. Really appreciated. Obviously missed out on your irony MB. Sorry!"

illtellhim Thu 31-Aug-17 07:16:18

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Aug-17 07:25:38

But hold on to something do you'll begger over backwards.

Imperfect27 Thu 31-Aug-17 07:32:23

Tup, someone has definitely got one of those calendars ... or discovered an 'inspiration for the day' website. As for me ... Well, if l could just start the day right with porridge instead of a chocolate biscuit, that would be a good beginning ... (Whoops! Failed again!) grin

MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 09:14:41

Like this imperfect? grin

Elegran Thu 31-Aug-17 10:28:04

Or this Website re "Inspirations of the day"

MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 10:30:42

gringringrin

"Pseudo-profound you know what"
grin

FarNorth Thu 31-Aug-17 10:33:04

Always remember....... drat!..... what was it...?

Elegran Thu 31-Aug-17 10:37:48

Quote from longish article:_
"These results support the idea that some people are more receptive to this type of bullshit and that detecting it is not merely a matter of indiscriminate skepticism but rather a discernment of deceptive vagueness in otherwise impressive sounding claims. Our results also suggest that a bias toward accepting statements as true may be an important component of pseudo-profound bullshit receptivity."
and
"Those more receptive to bullshit are less reflective, lower in cognitive ability (i.e., verbal and fluid intelligence, numeracy), are more prone to ontological confusions and conspiratorial ideation, are more likely to hold religious and paranormal beliefs, and are more likely to endorse complementary and alternative medicine."

FarNorth Thu 31-Aug-17 10:42:39

That is so true, Elegran. grin

Imperfect27 Thu 31-Aug-17 12:31:11

MawBroon grin grin grin And may we all be blessed with discernment of deceptive vagueness ... as long as l still get a choccy biscuit at the end of the process ???

Elegran Thu 31-Aug-17 12:45:07

" a discernment of deceptive vagueness in otherwise impressive sounding claims." does sound similar to the detection of "mere corroborative detail, to add verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative" - that filler embroidery verbiage beloved of some writers.

Elegran Thu 31-Aug-17 12:49:06

And added to further posts occasionally by someone who had aired some unlikely problem of their imagination, and received sensible advice which they had no intention of following.

illtellhim Thu 31-Aug-17 14:56:19

She is a self made woman and worships her creator.

MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 15:41:33

Those more receptive to bullshit are less reflective, lower in cognitive ability (i.e., verbal and fluid intelligence, numeracy), are more prone to ontological confusions and conspiratorial ideation

That's an interesting concept Elegran,

MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 15:58:20

Maybe this one would be suitable for the sort of person who seeks daily enlightenment.

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Aug-17 16:20:47

We really do need a like button.

[Like]. Elegran and Mawbroon

Galen Thu 31-Aug-17 17:10:19

Maw Alexa is where I got the awful marvellous jokes I was telling in the kitchen!

Charleygirl Thu 31-Aug-17 17:40:34

Galen I now have an Alexa and I do not wish to hear any of her ghastly jokes.

kittylester Thu 31-Aug-17 17:50:01

I need an Alexa - DGS1 and I are in a phase of sending each other hopeless jokes and it's hard work hunting for them. grin

MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 20:35:38

Ah, all is now clear -Galen - thank goodness it wasn't you practising your stand-up routine for the cruise cabaret gringrin

illtellhim Fri 01-Sep-17 07:06:24

Dear self,

I know you struggle sometimes but in case I don't tell you enough, you're beautiful. Thank you for being so strong and transparent, the world sees you even when you feel invisible. I appreciate your heart and stubbornness. Your willingness to love even after being discarded and forgotten is admirable. I'm so proud to know that you've grown to acknowledge you're worth.

With Love
Self.