Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Note to Self.....

(191 Posts)
illtellhim Tue 29-Aug-17 07:45:56

Today, I will do one thing to help myself.
It doesn't matter how small the step is, as long as it helps me move forward.

illtellhim Tue 29-Aug-17 08:24:17

Alexa,

Next time we play chess, Don't Win

Peep Tue 29-Aug-17 08:49:51

smile

Kim19 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:36:33

Every 'chore' box ticked no matter how trivial is a bonus and makes a plus Day for me.

Worlass Tue 29-Aug-17 10:57:22

Stop 'sweating the small stuff' and get on with the important stuff! (After another coffee, of course) grin

MawBroon Tue 29-Aug-17 11:41:57

Who is alexa?
Another alter ego?

annsixty Tue 29-Aug-17 11:43:29

She talks to you on your kindle fire ( I think)

MawBroon Tue 29-Aug-17 11:45:50

grin
I despair!!

Day6 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:57:29

Muster up a bit of determination.

Be gone, you chilled-out, laid back, mañana woman! smile

Kim19 Tue 29-Aug-17 13:35:51

Tend to disagree with Worlass in that I think the important stuff gets dealt with for a 'must do' reasoning whereas the small stuff can be a constant niggle and only achieve 'should do' status. This can create a personal discontent which is so unnecessary. To my shame, my 'success!!' this morning took a mere 15 minutes whereas my procrastination has managed days. Dearie me.........

Bambam Tue 29-Aug-17 13:44:16

My friend of fifty years is arriving from Australia next week. Staying with me initially, then using me as a base. I stayed with her two years ago and she had just moved into a brand new house. Marble floors, immaculate kitchen, all bedrooms en-suite.
I've been working on my chore list for the last two weeks, trying to get my Victorian, high ceiling type home, up to scratch. Amazing how much work to actually "bottom" the place.
Ticking off my list though and only paintwork to do now and all carpets being cleaned tomorrow. Whew!!
Btw she's no snob, we were both brought up in two up two down houses and now I can look forward to having a great time with her.

Kim19 Tue 29-Aug-17 14:18:04

Hats off to you Bambam. Have some dear friends but can't think of one I'd go to those extremes for. Well done you! I'm currently revamping house. Upstairs just completed but I've moved into procrastination big time as I've left the dreaded kitchen until last. Just don't like having workmen in (even my nice local ones) and upheaval. My dear old kitchen does me but it is assuredly dated and tired. I will have to bite the bullet but it's currently a matter of seeing how long I can put it off. Manyana reigns.

Bellanonna Tue 29-Aug-17 14:38:11

ann and maw
A bit esoteric for me confused

lemongrove Tue 29-Aug-17 15:10:34

Alexa is computer voice /game player not a real person.

lemongrove Tue 29-Aug-17 15:12:52

illtellhim if we all just did one thing a day, either for ourselves or others, that would be a good thing.
I cannot somehow get around to cleaning bathrooms.I need help.The mental sort that gives a good hard mental kick up the you know what.

Bellanonna Tue 29-Aug-17 15:34:01

Tks Lemingrove. Never heard of her/it

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 29-Aug-17 16:16:26

I hate housework but try to do one extra thing a day. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself as I've actually done the ironing. This should have been done on Sunday so I'm only two days behind - so not as bad as I'd thought.
I find that the only sure-fire way to do a loathsome job is to pretend that a VIP is visiting, (who would notice and comment) otherwise it'd get left.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 29-Aug-17 18:50:24

We expected visitors at the weekend and did a lot of tidying up. Unfortunately they couldn't come, but the house was still tidy. smile

illtellhim Wed 30-Aug-17 06:59:16

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.

NanKate Wed 30-Aug-17 07:19:11

We have an Alexa I told her she had cloth ears when she didn't put on the song I wanted. She thanked me for my comment. grin

I will tell myself my aches and pains from Polymyalgia will one day leave me and that my friend who rarely complains has an illness that sadly won't leave her. I am the lucky one and I should learn from her stoicism.

illtellhim Wed 30-Aug-17 07:32:04

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

MawBroon Wed 30-Aug-17 07:50:48

Has somebody got one of those calendars or desk diaries with an "inspirational " comment for each day? hmm

annsixty Wed 30-Aug-17 09:40:13

No, but I could surely do with one.

Kim19 Wed 30-Aug-17 10:13:21

Just as a matter of interest, MawBroon, how would one get a personal item to another individual? Is it possible to do this via HQ? I certainly don't expect or want anyone's private details but just wondered as a result of your query..... Is there a known (to some) protocol?

grannylyn65 Wed 30-Aug-17 10:19:21

Don't leave shoes out, have just fallen over AGAIN. And have just purchased a handle for bath, also a mat to cover the bloodstains after falling down the stairs. I probably shouldn't be allowed out!☹️