Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning Boxing Day

(55 Posts)
Greyduster Tue 26-Dec-17 06:24:40

Good Boxing Day morning, Gransnetters. I thought as I am up I would start us off this morning. It is still dark in South Yorkshire and I am having an early cuppa amid the post Christmas Day chaos that is my home. GS and his folks are still here, and we are going up to York today to eat another Christmas dinner with our eldest and his family. I don’t think I can face food ever again! Have a happy day folks!

Nelliemoser Tue 26-Dec-17 09:55:55

Oh bugger what ever happened to that post .

It should have read It seems to have stopped raining not eating. You silly tablet.

It has stopped raining here and there are blue skies. and sunshine .My car has a coating of ice . I really should have put it in garage. Have a good day.

I was using my tablet and it decided what it wanted to write.

ginny Tue 26-Dec-17 09:57:23

Good morning. Blue sky here in N. Bucks at the moment
Lovely time yesterday wit all the family. Very silly games And too much food of course. All Off to Dd2s this afternoon for more of the same.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 26-Dec-17 10:04:11

Yes, good wishes to you all. I've got that feverish cold that has been 'going the rounds' and I'm sure it's on its way out now - almost everyone in the family has suffered it.
Today has started quiet - it's such an anti-climax to the big day, isn't it? For once I didn't overindulge and didn't get indigestion - quite a feat.
Blimey, don't quizzes cause controversy? Many family members are really competitive. As 'quizmistress' I had no idea that the question, "Who was the 1st £30m footballer?" would cause a nephew to quibble over point nine of a million!
On a sobering note MIL passed away on Christmas Day at her nursing home. I told BIL to celebrate her life which had sadly become a burden to her - the last two years weren't much fun. It was peaceful and I asked him how he was - he's bearing up. I tried to encourage him to see it as a burden lifted for her as well as himself and his family.

sandelf Tue 26-Dec-17 10:10:52

Morning friends. We have calm and blue skies. Been just the 2 of us - old films and Strickly, + Wooster DVD. I like Christmas but can't cope with the pressure of 'specialness' and 'wonderfulness'.

mischief Tue 26-Dec-17 10:15:29

Good morning all. I hope to have a bit of Christmas dinner today. I have just slept for 18 hours trying to get rid of a stomach bug. What a time to have one. I'm at my lovely DD's home and fell ill early Christmas Day morning. There is no morsel of food left inside me but at least that half a stone I shed before Christmas won't be going back on. DD is now insisting on breakfast in bed and I feel more like my normal self. I won't forget this Christmas in a hurry. ?

Kim19 Tue 26-Dec-17 10:34:25

Hello everyone and Happy Boxing Day. I'm having a very lazy start to the day. Looking outside is magnetic as the sun is in full view and blue skies everywhere. Can't work out the temperature yet. Couple of hours will see me driving home with a shop stop in the middle. Looking forward to every aspect of it and arriving home is always lovely no matter how pleasant the 'escape' has been. Yes, life is certainly good for me at the moment.

MaryXYX Tue 26-Dec-17 10:42:40

After a couple of very busy days I have nothing scheduled for today. I was a bit peopled out by the end of yesterday (Autistic term).

Mapleleaf Tue 26-Dec-17 10:42:42

Good morning everyone.
Happy Boxing Day. It's bright and chilly here, after a very wet evening. DH not up yet so not sure what our plans are. Fairly lazy I imagine.
Enjoy your day ?

Dianic Tue 26-Dec-17 10:50:02

Good morning!

Have woken to blustery wind but lovely blue skies and sunshine. So happy it's just us today, no pressure, no "stepping on eggshells" and able to lounge about in our new PJs/lounge-wear!!!

Making the most of the sunshine, I've got the washing on...

Hope everyone has a lovely Boxing Day!

Diddy1 Tue 26-Dec-17 10:56:39

Good morning from a wet and miserable Sweden, a lazy day today, after an exhausting but happy Christmas day.Have an enjoyable Boxing Day everyone.

pamdixon Tue 26-Dec-17 11:26:52

morning all. Happy after Christmas! A bit damp in Oxfordshire. We have no heating or hot water (not had for a few days) and there is a strong smell of oil in the house....but despite all that managed to get the lunch out on time y'day (10 of us all in all) and it was all delicious (beautifully cooked by me of course!!) - fan heaters on everywhere kept everyone warm. Hope we can get an engineer out tomorrow to sort it all out.....boiling up endless kettles of water to do the washing up is not much fun, but nearly there and at least the dish-washer is working! OH has been sitting in a chair reading one of his christmas books all morning - I was very restrained and didn't throw a wobbly, just quietly asked him if intended sitting there all day!! Once I've finished the washing up, I'll read one of my books for the rest of the day (oooh - he's now snoring in the chair!!!).

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 11:27:30

Bonjour, lovely sunny day yesterday for our white Christmas. Woke up today with a gale blowing outside - now all calmed down. Bright but not sunny, and clear.

DS64till Tue 26-Dec-17 11:40:32

Morning all , Home from MIL yesterday and savouring some peace today as my Whirlwind and her young Man are Sale shopping today. Hubbie volunteered to drive them to Bluewater( shock horror) so I’m catching up with the soaps and a baileys and chocfest before the diet starts. Hope you all enjoy your day !!!X

Rosina Tue 26-Dec-17 12:05:15

Good afternoon everyone! I'm now back home and washing the sheets and duvet covers from family's overnight stay at DD's house. Lovely sunny day - hope you all have a peaceful time and for those alone I do hope you have a good book, some decent TV, a stack of newspapers and some delicious food. Perhaps that a good wish for us all. xx

grandtanteJE65 Tue 26-Dec-17 12:15:08

We've still got the father and mother of all storms here, so we are definitely not going out for a walk today, although we could do with one after stuffing ourselves with Christmas food!

Today's schedule: coffee, reading, doing as we please, no visitors invited for today, although anyone who drops in will be welcome.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Dec-17 12:16:43

wilygran, re your Tesco frozen turkey. I normally go a bit mad at Christmas and splash out on a top end free range turkey. This year I read that Tesco’s frozen turkey crown came out second to one of those in a taste test, so took a risk. Cheap as chips and delicious! So much so that everyone commented, and this has never happened before!

Marnie Tue 26-Dec-17 12:24:27

Just a normal day. Meals on wheels. Carers coming in to get me up. Same today. Sun streaming in today although cold outside I am told. Gifts from meals on wheels. Mainly food items biccies mince pies and choc. Yummy. Very pleasant to unwrap gifts. Hope everyone had a good day.

loopyloo Tue 26-Dec-17 12:24:55

Wilygran, will try that next year. Sounds like a great idea.

Artyfarty Tue 26-Dec-17 12:26:48

Hi everyone. Had a Boxing Day walk this morning to blow away the cobwebs. We are off up to York this aft to have a walk round the walls.

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 12:58:06

Sun's come out hurrah.

mrswoo Tue 26-Dec-17 13:10:24

Beautifully sunny but cold here in Inverclyde. Wonderful views across the Clyde to the snow covered Argyll hills. Back to work tomorrow so am taking it easy today and loving every minute.

Miep1 Tue 26-Dec-17 13:29:39

Wet and grey here in Devon. Did nothing yesterday, apart from open presents, eat a selection of frozen cheese souffles, toads in holes, duck spring rolls etc. and read a book.
Today looks about the same, though we might have bangers and mash tonight. BF loved the presents she did get.
One cat came home reeling and disorientated Christmas eve; we've just let him sleep. This morning he manged to eat some whiskas but still seems groggy. Not having a lot of luck with cats recently!

NannyJan53 Tue 26-Dec-17 13:32:34

Good Afternoon all

After a lovely day yesterday with family, Mum, DD, SIL & 2 DGD's, Brother and Sister in Law, and Niece, today is a quiet relaxing day at home.

Sun is shining here and it is quite mild. Partner has driven over to Coventry to see his twin daughters who are staying with their Mum over Christmas. So I have a 'do as I please' afternoon.

May do my tax return later hmm

Hope you all have a lovely Boxing Day afternoon.

EmilyHarburn Tue 26-Dec-17 14:54:20

Han electricity cut from 7 pm Christmas day to 11 am Boxing Day so got out the candles and this morning husband got out the generator. Fortunately we had cooked Christmas dinner for 6 people at midday so all OK. Evening a cheese board and we had just microwaved the Christmas pudding. Had matches to light the brandy on it and we had already decided that there was not much on TV, so all OK.

gagsy Tue 26-Dec-17 17:13:57

Cold and dark this Boxing Day morning. Spent yesterday with all my children, grandchildren and all the in laws. Magical and rarely happens that we’re all together. I don’t know how my daughter in law does it! A domestic goddess!
More food today. I’ll burst, but it’s all so delicious! I’ll collapse by the fire (with the chocolates!)