Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning Boxing Day

(54 Posts)
Greyduster Tue 26-Dec-17 06:24:40

Good Boxing Day morning, Gransnetters. I thought as I am up I would start us off this morning. It is still dark in South Yorkshire and I am having an early cuppa amid the post Christmas Day chaos that is my home. GS and his folks are still here, and we are going up to York today to eat another Christmas dinner with our eldest and his family. I don’t think I can face food ever again! Have a happy day folks!

Gagagran Tue 26-Dec-17 06:49:43

Good Morning Grey and everyone!

We are back at home unexpectedly early from DS's as DH succumbed to my feverish cold of last week and gradually felt worse and worse yesterday. Eventually he whispered "Do you think they'll mind if we go home" and of course they didn't. I hastily packed up our things and we got home about 8pm and he went straight to bed.

It has turned colder and we are forecast heavy rain today so it is good to be warm and safe and relaxed and QUIET at home. (Why are teenagers so noisy?)

I hope everyone managed some pleasure in Christmas Day and that we all have a good day and year to come. sunshine

NanKate Tue 26-Dec-17 06:53:34

Morning Greyduster and All that follow.

Waiting for the rest of the family to wake so I can get the kettle on.

Ate too much yesterday, need to get out for a walk in the fresh air.

Our Xmas went far better than I expected and their was a truce with our DinL.

Going home today to unpack, sort out and get ready for our DS and two GSs to arrive and stay for a short holiday.

Hope your Xmasses have gone well.

NanKate Tue 26-Dec-17 06:54:46

Hope your DH recovers soon Gagagran.

rbmcmlln Tue 26-Dec-17 07:02:41

Hope everyone has a gentle start to the day. It's a cool and grey start in North London. Have crept downstairs in search of tea and to let the dog out. OH watching the test match in bed and its the best part of the day as neither of us has to go anywhere today.

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Dec-17 07:07:12

Morning All

Very windy last night and decidedly chilly when I came downstairs earlier woken by a blinding headache. The pills are starting to work now so hopefully I’ll be fine by the time DS and family arrive later. We’re planning a nice bracing walk so it’ll finish blowing the cobwebs away and the overindulging yesterday. That’ll teach me!

I hope your DH recovers soon Gaga and doesn’t share his germs too generously.

cornergran Tue 26-Dec-17 07:32:39

Morning All. Dark and damp in our corner of Somerset. A little bit of baking today for a family get together tomorrow otherwise a quiet day giving the digestion a rest. If the weather brightens we’ll be joining in with a walk. Hope all those feeling unwell are feeling bery much better very soon.

harrigran Tue 26-Dec-17 07:35:45

Good morning Boxing day, it is a lot cooler and has been raining.
Yesterday was a long day but we all survived, and we will do it again today but without the mountain of food.

Larissa67 Tue 26-Dec-17 07:36:11

Good Boxing Day Morning fellow netties. So enjoy that first cup of take just for yourself eases you into the day.
Just recently retired, still waking early and trying to find new rhythm. How long did it take others to 'sort themselves out'?

oldgoat Tue 26-Dec-17 07:36:24

Morning everyone
Been awake since 6.30 and creeping about the hotel bedroom trying to boil the kettle for my early morning coffee without waking OH and the dog. Ate too much yesterday and looking forward to a long walk today, now that its stopped raining. Didn't receive any chocolates this year but OH has been plundering the box of Cadbury's Roses on the reception desk and I've had two with my coffee. Strict diet coming up! Have a good day.

bikergran Tue 26-Dec-17 07:58:06

Off to work in a min..9-5 today (serving all the people that may have run out of food) smile

ninathenana Tue 26-Dec-17 08:18:37

Morning everyone.

Dull and damp here with friends in Hants. We had a quiet day yesterday just 5 adults. He cooked a lovely meal and we weren't allowed to do a thing ! Today both of their AC and families are comming plus their in-laws. So today will be the fun day.

Auntieflo Tue 26-Dec-17 08:20:44

Good morning one and all. DH brought me my most welcome cup of tea. All is quiet, opened the curtains and thought it was foggy, but just condensation on the windows. Smallest GS has just crept into bed with us, his parents are still asleep. How lovely to have a cuddle. But now he's off to play with his Thomas the Tank Engine train set that has taken over our sitting room. tchsmile

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Dec-17 08:21:08

Hi good morning and happy boxing day. Actually it is late morning for me i was on here at 2am as I couldnt sleep.

Marydoll Tue 26-Dec-17 08:25:11

Good morning all,
Woke up to a light covering of snow on the ground here in Glasgow. Hope it doesn't get any worse, as some of my family have a fair bit of travelling to do today.
Waiting to hear if we have lunch guests today, so stuck the breadmaker on, just in case.
Enjoy your boxing day everyone. I'm off for a long soak in the bath with my Christmas smellies.

whitewave Tue 26-Dec-17 08:28:05

Morning all!

Blue sky and cooler this morning. Birds are feasting on a couple of mince pies - their Christmas present.

Off to sons today.

No idea what I’m eating today. Maybe cold turkey and ham?

Have a relaxed day one and all.

Nelliemoser Tue 26-Dec-17 08:37:11

Good morning All. It seems to have stopped eating and therearsso e blue skies. My car has a coating of ice . I really should have put it in garage. Have a good day.

Pittcity Tue 26-Dec-17 08:43:13

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Very wet and windy last night (Not just the weather tchwink) and now colder but bright with a heavy rain/snow warning for tonight.
Walking into town with DH and DS to see Star Wars today.

Anniebach Tue 26-Dec-17 08:58:37

Good morning all

OldMeg Tue 26-Dec-17 09:04:55

Good morning everyone. Not sure what weather is like as not drawn curtains or lifted blinds. Still a touch tired from yesterday’s festival festivities but in a good way.

Hope most people are having a good Chrisrmas and feeling sad for those who are not ?

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Dec-17 09:11:58

Good morning all. I've not done much exercise or been out much since my back "went" a few days ago. Managed a lovely Christmas anyway courtesy of much help from the family, hot baths, Nurofen and heat rub, but I feel I need some fresh air so will be off for a walk/hobble today. tchsmile I'm so glad we decided to tidy round and wash up last night and didn't leave the chaos for today - I would have dreaded going downstairs otherwise!

kittylester Tue 26-Dec-17 09:33:48

Morning all!

It's bright and sunny in North Leicestershire and the dgd are downstairs eating breakfast so, for now, peace reigns!

Most people are going to the football today leaving dh and I with littlest. I think Dh is going to play 'Will She Moo or Will She Poo?' with her while I cook a turkey breast, pigs in blankets and vegetables so we can have them all cold tomorrow! The things I do!!

Enjoy your Boxing days every one.

wilygran Tue 26-Dec-17 09:51:36

Had a very nice Xmas by totally suiting ourselves. Dutifully took round selection of small presents (grandchildren all grown up & earning) in the morning then off to local (unchanged since 1970s) pub - doesn't serve food & still has curtains & carpet. Then own home for lunch - totally from Auntie Bessie apart from Tesco small frozen turkey with Bisto gravy granules. No concessions to clever chef type advice. No problems.
"That was nice" said OH. Why did I try to do anything different all those years?

2mason16 Tue 26-Dec-17 09:54:34

Well it's boxing day night here at my daughters in Australia. Relaxed day eating just salad and leftovers. So happy to spend time with their 1 yr old 12 and 7 yr old. Won't rub it in about weather here!! Happy New Year for next week everyone

inishowen Tue 26-Dec-17 09:55:36

I went to bed last night aching with tiredness. Woke up at 4.45 am and started reading. Why when I am so tired so I wake up extra early?