Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Touching a stranger's baby

(98 Posts)
Granny3Rose Sun 26-Aug-18 11:36:17

Would you ever go up to a baby in a pram and touch it without the parent's permission? This is about my friend from childhood. She has always been very dominant - telling me what to do all the time and me finding it difficult or impossible to answer her back. If it were not for the fact that she is now the only person with whom I have shared memories of our time growing up in our home town I probably wouldn't choose her for a friend.

Yesterday I was at an evening event with her. We were queuing up for refreshments when she went up to a baby in a pram. I think the child was probably a couple of weeks old. It was just lying in its pram, looking at what was going on - not crying. Without asking the parents' permission she put her hand on it and gently rubbed its chest and abdomen saying ''Poor baby, you want to be at home in your cot, don't you?" I didn't see the parents' reaction because there was such a crush of people. But I thought it was not only wrong in general for her to do this, but maybe she could have done the baby harm if it had some medical problem or had just had an operation or something that she couldn't possibly know about. She was clearly very disapproving of the fact that the parents had such a young baby out with them in the evening.

But, because of how my relationship with my friend seems to work I felt unable to say anything to her about it.

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 19:30:17

Did you? confused

dorsetpennt Mon 27-Aug-18 19:25:57

The answer is NO . Another of my pet peeves is someone, often one who is barely known, stroking a pregnant woman's stomach. You wouldn't stroke it is she wasn't pregnant so why is it ok when she is ( I'm aware I ended the sentence with a preposition ) ?.

pollysgran Mon 27-Aug-18 18:38:54

What! Rubbed the baby’s chest and abdomen?!? I’m sorry but what would the reaction have been if an adult male had touched a baby or child in this way? He’d be on a list by now. If someone touched my gd like that I’d have broken his arm. As for criticising the parents when baby was safe, well and content in her pram?
I can understand how this woman came back into your life when she spotted her chance, but I think that’s just low cunning.
You sound like a good person, just remember that no friends are better than the toxic kind.

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 18:33:47

Oh dear, we're on Twitter!!

Yellowmellow Mon 27-Aug-18 18:17:41

Saying what she said, and touching the baby was totally unacceptable. We all have toxic people in our lives. We have the choice of managing them (e.g.if maybe its family), or not having them in our lives at all. I do understand she is a long standing 'friend'....but is she a friend?? Only you can decide, but she sounds very unpleasant x

Nannan2 Mon 27-Aug-18 16:37:14

Oh and merlotgran?yes hotfoot it to opticians asap! grin

Nannan2 Mon 27-Aug-18 16:35:40

No she shouldnt touch someone elses baby! Also why does she feel the need to do so,or question how late the baby is out at all? I often took out my children past an early bedtime in holidays and such so if we had one as a ' babe in arms' at the time i would let him/her sleep in the pram while the older ones had fun.the baby still got fresh air and older kids enjoyed their holidays.In fact my eldest son often needed a walk out in his pram before he would go to sleep at night.I wouldnt have liked anyone, especially some stranger commenting on this nor touching my baby.if you and she have nothing more in common than the past maybe youve 'outgrown' each other?stick to meeting up less often if she embarresses you like this regularly.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 27-Aug-18 16:32:17

I would not touch a stranger's baby.

I would be likely to admire somebody's baby though and, whenever I have done this, people have not objected.

netflixfan Mon 27-Aug-18 15:10:24

I adore babies, chat to them and make them smile, but touch, no no.

netflixfan Mon 27-Aug-18 15:08:36

He he Merlotgran!

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 14:46:02

MissA grin

I promise NOT to squeeze your baby's knee Muffin

MissAdventure Mon 27-Aug-18 14:01:34

I don't think there is a friend I have whose behaviour hasn't worried me at some time or another.
I wouldn't consider dumping them though.
There would be nobody left if I only wanted people to be just like me.

muffinthemoo Mon 27-Aug-18 13:39:29

I had someone (a stranger) touch bump once, during second pregnancy.

I reached out in response and gave her tummy a good feel.

She squawked and I replied, “Is that not what we’re doing, dear?”

She scurried off. I hope she was cured of her habit of touching strangers without asking.

If it had been a boob she would have committed a criminal offence. Is it so hard to keep your hands to yourself?

pinkjj27 Mon 27-Aug-18 13:02:10

My daughter has a new baby and for anyone that thinks this is ok it is not, some days she just cries because she is made to feel like a bad mother by people practically older people coming up to her to tell her baby is hungry, too hot, suffocating chocking, wants to be at home and so on, she has had people touch her bump before he was born then touch him , stroke him hold his hand, try to take him away and hold him . A one off may be but when it’s the 10th person to have come up in just one shopping trip when the baby is crying is very stressful.
Your friend sounds a bit much to me and you sound sensitive and thoughtful do you need someone that makes you feel so uncomfortable in your life?

muffinthemoo Mon 27-Aug-18 12:33:18

Oh god no. A wee comment is always lovely but I would be horrified if someone touched mine - my youngest girl had RSV at only weeks old and honestly I prefer folk to wash hands before touching very small babies. I always wash mine before holding someone else’s.

I babywore a lot when out and about when they were very small partly because it does put off the “touchy” folk.

I know I sound a little paranoid but my girl was so unwell sad

willa45 Mon 27-Aug-18 12:32:54

I hate when this happens grrrr! .......(Apologies for repeated post)

willa45 Mon 27-Aug-18 12:29:22

When people get to a certain age, it's hard to change. Should your friend be touching a stranger's baby, dog, (even a car) etc. without asking first?.....NO! Should you say something? Probably not (what good would that do?).

Having said that, old friends are not easy to give up. She sounds like a caring person, albeit a very pushy and opinionated one....but,....nobody's perfect anyway!

My feeling is that sooner or later, she'll transgress yet again and someone else is bound to tell her off. She probably won't like it, but she'll get the gist.

In the meantime, no need to trash your old friendship yet..... you can always nod in agreement and then go do as you please. smile

willa45 Mon 27-Aug-18 12:29:22

When people get to a certain age, it's hard to change. Should your friend be touching a stranger's baby, dog, (even a car) etc. without asking first?.....NO! Should you say something? Probably not (what good would that do?).

Having said that, old friends are not easy to give up. She sounds like a caring person, albeit a very pushy and opinionated one....but,....nobody's perfect anyway!

My feeling is that sooner or later, she'll transgress yet again and someone else is bound to tell her off. She probably won't like it, but she'll get the gist.

In the meantime, no need to trash your old friendship yet..... you can always nod in agreement and then go do as you please. smile

4allweknow Mon 27-Aug-18 12:09:13

Not on at all. Would she do that to say a person in a wheelchair with learning or physical disabilities. Lucky she hasn't been put in her place by an upset parent. Most folk would enjoy someone looking in a pram and commenting on how cute/new or the likes but not touching or making such a comment as she did. Tell her to mind her own business unless she wants to be accused of assault. Hopefully she will take heed.

Granny3Rose Mon 27-Aug-18 11:56:08

Yes, Seakay, I would be honest if she asks my opinion.
nipsmum I know what you mean about causing a fuss when out!

Granny3Rose Mon 27-Aug-18 11:49:51

MissAdventure shock I don't think even my friend would do what your neighbour did in the supermarket!
luluaugust and Pat1949 and Brismum We probably see each other about four times a year, for a weekend either at mine or at hers, or meeting halfway for the day.
ajanela I tend to do what Nitpick48 said about walking or turning away.
Nitpick48 I've looked for Facebook pages for the schools I attended, but there isn't one.
luzdoh Thank you.

nipsmum Mon 27-Aug-18 11:47:09

I find being complementary to other people's children gets a much better response. Saying things like love your shoes, what nice hair you have, that's a nice toy. With a smile helps a lot and usually brings a good response from parents. Never touch, and try to involve the parents in the conversation. I have a very good friend who causes so much fuss when you are out for even a coffee that I don't go out with her anymore. She is very welcome to come and see me and I will happily spend time with her but not if here are other people involved. She is so boastfull of all her many attributes that it becomes quickly embarrassing.

Seakay Mon 27-Aug-18 11:38:30

her behaviour re the baby is entirely wrong, but she is not your responsibility to police, nor to protect should anyone react loudly and aggressively to her interference, as they well might.
Pregnant women and their children are finally not generally regarded as being available for petting by strangers, but it was commonplace and unremarkable previously. If your friend has chosen not to learn then let her take whatever results arise from her actions.
Plenty of people have friends who remain so more by association with previous times then because of a great deal of personality in common. I don't think you should drop her because of her behaviour in this instance, but if she ever asks your opinion don't hesitate to be honest

BlueBelle Mon 27-Aug-18 11:35:30

Oh I don’t get this at all are you saying don’t offer a finger or touch a baby’s hand without asking permission what a strange lot we have become I would never never touch a small baby, or a sleeping baby and I would never make remarks to a parent, and I would never touch a baby of the face tummy body or anything like that but the thought of not accepting a little hand held out to me , fills me with cold dread
As for dogs the only reason I d ask permission is cos I don’t want to get bitten ?

glammanana Mon 27-Aug-18 11:30:38

I hink its very wrong of your friend to do this and comment on the baby being out with its parents none of her business to be honest.
When we go to visit my DGD or GGS both 3 months old now I would never dream of picking them up or going near their cribs without the permission of their mummy.