Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(805 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

52bright Sat 29-Sep-18 12:14:30

Hi...1'm a long term lurker like many introducing themselves here. Found gransnet about 5 years ago and have followed many of the threads with great interest yet never posted myself. I'm a retired teacher with 2 grandchildren.

The 52 in my user name sadly refers to my year of birth rather than my age! Miss the companionship of working life in some ways but not the staff room politics. Trying to make the best of my retirement but a bit lazy about getting out and about trying new things.

Now I've finally introduced myself hope to start posting soon.

Marydoll Sat 29-Sep-18 12:20:19

52bright, welcome! smile

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Sep-18 12:22:24

Welcome 52bright. Now that you have taken the plunge maybe look locally to see if any GNs meet up for coffee? I meet monthly with 3 others and we have done so for over 3 years.

sodapop Sun 30-Sep-18 09:01:28

Welcome all new posters,hope you find topics to interest you here, don't worry 52bright
you are a mere girl compared with some of us.?

Scribbles Sun 30-Sep-18 20:37:25

Charleygirl, I suspect that ditzyme was referring to Charlie, or was it Charley, perfume - heavily marketed at young women in the late 60s/early 70s. It came packaged in a blue box, ISTR; my kid sister was a big fan until she discovered Anais Anais.

Welcome to the new folks and don't be scared to dip your toes in the water; most of us don't bite!

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Sep-18 20:51:22

Scribbles thanks for that. My brain is safely tucked up and has been for yonks. Yes, I do remember the perfume but did not like it.

NanaKay58 Mon 01-Oct-18 03:16:59

New here, looking for somewhere to share some of my gran joys and woes!
Hi CocoPops - from a fellow Pacific NW denizen - I am American though, is this site open to anyone or is it only a British site?
PS. I've been to London for 5 hours once, is that close enough? :-)

Marydoll Mon 01-Oct-18 06:46:07

Everyone is welcome NanaKay. So WELCOME! smile

lemongrove Mon 01-Oct-18 21:19:21

Yes, welcome to all, we don’t bite but do like fresh blood on the forum grin
Only join the politics threads if you have a ducks back though, or a tin hat, ( I have both, just in case.)
Pop into our bar The Argy Bargy Bar you will find it under Chat )for some virtual booze, companionship,
Food and a bit of nonsense, the more surreal the better.
Cheers wine

Joker Tue 02-Oct-18 06:42:34

Hello joined just now , I am a hands on Granny of two gorgeous grandhorrers , due to retire soon , my husband is retired and unfortunately in ill health having had MS for many years and recently a small battle with cancer which is on going so it's nice to find a friendly place I can be me , thank you ,

Marydoll Tue 02-Oct-18 07:13:40

Welcome Joker. I'm sure we will see more of you once you retire. As Lemon says, we don't bite!

Brunette10 Tue 02-Oct-18 07:55:59

Welcome Joker!

Grandmaden Tue 02-Oct-18 15:14:47

I have the same problem, I'm 64 and havent worked for 3 years as I care for elderly parent but he keeps asking if I will be going back to work at a later date, he's 6 years younger than me so has a few years to retirement, it drives me mad I have to keep telling him I've done my time and he has no intention of working past his retirement, he gets defensive and says he doesn't mind he's just asking the question!!!

Loulou60 Wed 03-Oct-18 22:20:44

Hello any ladies that would like to chat, I’ve recently joined and would like to maybe meet up for coffee lunch and make new friends
I live in Dorset

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Oct-18 09:02:06

Welcome Loulou. The easiest way to find out who lives in Dorset and is interested is to start your own thread maybe stating Meet up for coffee mentioning a town in Dorset and a date not too close and see what reaction you get.

UsedtobeGinger Thu 04-Oct-18 17:30:08

Hello All,
Another newby here, so please be kind!

Marydoll Thu 04-Oct-18 20:24:29

Welcome from another Ginger!

Brunette10 Thu 04-Oct-18 20:27:32

Welcome UsedtobeGinger.

UsedtobeGinger Fri 05-Oct-18 13:30:55

Thank you!
I am actually still ginger, but only because of a little help from Clairol!

nightswimmer Sun 07-Oct-18 13:01:00

Hello I am a sort of new too (Hants/Dorset) usually find some interesting posts to read on here ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:29:02

welcome nightswimmer.

holidaynana Mon 08-Oct-18 07:32:48

I joined a while ago but not been on for a bit. My eldest daughter is pregnant and I’m very excited. I didn’t have a grandmother and nor has she, so I think I will be needing some advice on this next very important stage of our family life.

Marydoll Mon 08-Oct-18 08:33:18

Welcome holidaynana, you will certainly find lots of advice on here! grin.
Looking forward to reading your posts.

holidaynana Mon 08-Oct-18 08:56:37

Thank you Marydoll

Brunette10 Mon 08-Oct-18 09:08:25

holidaynana Welcome! - I too am fairly new and have found posts very interesting. Exciting times for you ahead.