Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(805 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

Rufus2 Wed 14-Nov-18 05:20:07

I'm in Australia and couldn’t find an Aussie site similar to gransnet
Leavingnormal; Ditto! I'm in Melbourne where today we've had a very welcome wet one.grin Whereabouts are you?
Welcome to Gransnet. I'm an "Old Boy"; member since April '18 and often thought an Aussie look- alike site might be as interesting, but then maybe not. This one has such a broad range of interests and is always appreciative of my (male) contributions. grin
Hope to hear from you soon!smile
Good Health

Sarahmob Thu 15-Nov-18 08:49:56

Hi I joined Gransnet yesterday when I had it pop up on a search I did regarding a grand parenting issue. My grandson has just turned a year old and I have taken on some of his care upon my daughter returning to work. I’m semi-unofficially - retired but still pick up odd bits of supply teaching. Looking forward to getting to know new friends through the site.

Grammaretto Thu 15-Nov-18 09:14:09

Sarahmob welcome!
I joined for much the same reason and find it both comforting and reassuring but also like the intelligent and funny discussions. Can't think how I missed it for so long.
Good luck with the new caring role. I may need advice from you.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-18 10:59:38

Welcome all new Gransnet users!

sarahmob, would you mind letting us know what grandparenting issue brought you here? It's helpful for us to know what's useful info for other grandparents. smile

TrishW Thu 15-Nov-18 14:39:55

I’m new. Just joined now. I’m searching for a specific forum to help me with a problem. I’m not a Granny myself as I had children very late and my eldest is only 12 but I do want to make a mother very happy by giving her my daughter to be her granddaughter occasionally but I just don’t know how to go about it correctly, if there is a correct way. I doubt there is but what if she doesn’t accept? She would love to be a Grandma but she doesn’t see it ever happening with her only son and DiL. What would my daughter, who this lady friend just absolutely adores, call her. She lives 2 minutes away so it would be perfect for them to see each other. I’ve thought of asking her to be my daughter’s Glam-ma but she isn’t a Gran. I think the card/gift should come from my daughter (via me as she’s only 18 months). Please help. x

Grammaretto Thu 15-Nov-18 15:18:44

One of my DGC has a surrogate granny. They live too far from us for us to be hands on G parents so this lady and her OH have stepped in.
They are called by their Christian names.
They go into school and help in the classroom.
I think it's brilliant. They don't have children but are endlessly patient

I don't think a child can have too much love. They don't impose. They don't spoil. They take DGC for nice outings occasionally.
They don't see themselves as GP just really good friends. Why does your DD friend need a label?
Good luck with your venture.

Sarahmob Thu 15-Nov-18 17:12:12

No problem LaraGransnet, I look after my DGS two days a week as part of the childcare arrangements and as I travel to where they live I stay overnight. My grandson has started to look to me rather than his dad (my SIL) when he wants comforting. This makes me feel guilty and SIL rejected and I was looking for advice from other grandparent carers.

vanessarolland Thu 15-Nov-18 22:58:24

Hello I’ve just joined gransnet to see if anyone who is lonely or alone would be interested in joining us once a month for a fun Sunday lunch which includes my husbands mother and a few of our friends elderly parents which we like to get together monthly as they are all on their own. I however dont have my mother here as she lives in Canada so I thought I would see if I could adopt a mother to bring along. It’s in a lovely house setting and they'll be plenty of drinks and food so if there’s anyone who feels alone and lives close to the Sudbury Suffolk area and would like to join once a month absolutely free please ping me a message.

Vanessa

CaroleAnne Fri 16-Nov-18 10:21:26

I keep putting posts on different threads but they never appear. What am I doing wrong?

TerryM Sat 17-Nov-18 05:38:46

waves
Hi...retired for over 3 years. Husband still works but hopes to retire next year
About to become a grandma
Found this site when I was searching for some answers for help as being a grandma

Smiley4 Sat 17-Nov-18 07:41:00

I just joined and hoping to get to chat to some new people. My best friend emigrated to Australia, others don’t live close. So I feel a bit lonely. But I do have my first grandchild due in December ?
I find it quite difficult to make friends, though I do try. I am married, but I like to chat to other women. My OH is lovely but doesn’t understand how a girly lunch can last 3 hours. Just what it is about prossecco, or how important it is to have your hair do what you want.
For those who do understand and who can also give me tips on being a good granny. I hope to hear from you. X

Sarahmob Sat 17-Nov-18 10:23:41

Hi Smiley4 still relatively new myself. Congratulations on the pending new arrival, I love being a Grammy, best job in the world. Whereabouts are you as I understand that in some areas Gransnetters do meet up.

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:26:53

Smiley4 I totally agree, 3 hours is about right!!!

Have you looked locally on GN? I meet up with 3 GNs monthly for coffee and we talk our socks off. I doubt if we would have met in real life but we get on so well and have been meeting now for 4 years.

Welcome again to anybody new.

Redwitch Sat 17-Nov-18 10:36:11

Good Morning to anyone listening, I have been a lurker for sometime but decided yesterday to sign up.

Moved to the opposite side of the UK a couple of weeks ago at the request of my daughter and her husband, she had to move due to a work posting and my lovely son-in-law asked me to come with them.

I don’t know anyone now within about a 5 hour drive.

I have done all the childcare for my grandsons (7&3)since my daughter returned to work and will have new granddaughter as well when maternity leave is up

I am very very quiet and socially inept in real life and find making new friends extremely difficult, I do know I should have outgrown my crippling shyness by my mid fifties but have never managed to conquer it.

Sorry for rambling on, it’s what I do when I’m nervous ?! No wonder nobody talks to me ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:58:45

Redwitch if you are very shy, maybe lurk around soop's kitchen until you get to "know" the usual contributors there. I promise you will not get your head bitten off as you may on other sites. We are very kind to each other there- some people lead horrendous lives, not through their own making- just what has been dealt out.

Smiley4 Sat 17-Nov-18 11:57:16

Hi. I’ve looked and nobody seems to be in my area. I’ve put a post on the “where are you” thread, but had no replies ☹️I’m in Bolton in greater Manchester.
What’s this Soops kitchen some have mentioned?

Sophiesox Tue 20-Nov-18 09:42:53

Hi, I’m a new member, joined a couple of days ago. This seems like a great site, with a wide range of ages and interests. I’m amazed to find that I’m actually 67 years of age and have no idea how that happened! People say I look and act younger but there’s not much guidance on how to look and act at 67, so I just muddle along, trying to avoid beige cardis, unless they’re really attractive!

Sophiesox Tue 20-Nov-18 09:44:44

p.s. I live in the north east of England (Geordiegirl)

Rufus2 Tue 20-Nov-18 12:08:42

I’m in Bolton in greater Manchester
G'Day Smiley4; Welcome! Just wanted to express my condolences over the current situation of the "Wanderers" Not good! sad I'm a Mancunian, so riding high with City. grin
I managed to stumble across Soop's kitchen, but can't remember how. Don't want to either, but good luck with your searching.

Drwatfam Tue 20-Nov-18 13:57:28

Hi , I'm new to Gransnet ( as of last night!) . Already I've made a mistake !!!
I posted a long script about being unhappy where I have been living for 30 + years and wanting to move. I would really like some friendly observations from folk ( who've possibly been in the same situation) .
Sadly , I'm a Muppet technologically wise , and I succeeded in adding my piece to a forum thread about accessing emergency medical care.
I knew I'd done that straight away but couldn't rectify . One lady suggested I copied and paste but not managed thatceother ?
Are you at Gransnet able to bale. E put , advise me or put my piece in the right place ? Xxxx

Drwatfam Tue 20-Nov-18 14:04:06

Redwitch ; hello . If my post ever manages to get in to right place you will see I'm possibly going to be in your position soon.
After 30+ years living where I never wanted to be I am hoping for a move soon... to be nearer family as we have no family here now . Trouble is , like you , I'm shy and socially inept , despite being 62 and working all my life with people ( the private persona being different from the public ). I fear I may end up in a situation where I even lonelier than I am now.
I hope you are beginning to settle in and find places to go and people to meet.
I'm in E York's...... where are u ?

Jinty56 Wed 21-Nov-18 09:00:11

Morning, I found this whilst researching something on mumsnet. I am in process of changing careers and have a college interview today! Should be interesting, when I put down mature student I may be only grey haired one! Anyway, I am a gran of 5 wee darlings, live in Scotland and enjoy a good chat/debate over a cuppa or a glass of something.

Rufus2 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:48:06

trying to avoid beige cardis, unless they’re really attractive!
Sophiesox; You obviously don't live in Bournemouth! grin

Sophiesox Wed 21-Nov-18 15:16:15

Rufus2,

No, I live near Newcastle. Do Bournemouth 67 year olds know how to rock the ancient vibe?

TrazzerMc Thu 22-Nov-18 10:58:00

Hi I joined recently the reason being my DD and 2 DGC have moved in with me as she is changing her career and couldn’t afford to go back to uni either financially or support wise without my help. I read a thread on here about some in a similar situation, it was good to hear how others have handled it. I’m happy to report everything is going great for all of us ?