Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Privacy rights

(39 Posts)
Emmaline Sat 15-Dec-18 11:18:29

I have recently moved into a care home and the carers are on site 24/7 which is great although I only need a body wash first thing in the morning .. however one or two of them do NOT seem to be bothered about our right to privacy.
Yesterday one of the carers knocked on my door and as I was in the loo I shouted "I'l be with you in a minute" and repeated this a couple of times but she came in anyway!
I was so annoyed and told her so in no uncertain terms.
I pay 140 pounds a week for this flat and it's my home so why should anyone be allowed to just walk in whenever they like .. what say you?!

Emmaline Sat 15-Dec-18 18:15:21

I have my own fridge/freezer so I do buy some ready meals and I also buy things that the carers will come in and cook for me.. it does help that I shop online and then the delivery person will often put the majority of things away for me.

I have a body wash in the morning and other than that I occasionally get them to make a meal for me.. as I have said the most of them are lovely people.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Dec-18 18:22:03

Put a little note on the bathroom door, asking 'people' to please wait until invited before entering.
I know someone who lives in a similar set up to you, and she loves it!

Emmaline Sat 15-Dec-18 20:46:27

Not to worry BlueBelle.. I'm sure there is lots of people who think that it's a hoax as it does sound too good to be true.

Dragonfly .. I think you are right as this is a very good place to be and better to let things lie than make a big commotion about it.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2426408464040368&set=pcb.2426413504039864&type=3&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARAj8yNxCqjOg67BTLi6lS3iLDCIl7VDA0h148bA4vQZBi0fQNxMpWKny40Lu77wFHcuUYImhvAXhM0b

Jane10 Sun 16-Dec-18 08:22:51

£140 per week? Bargain!!

Emmaline Sun 16-Dec-18 11:31:54

Yes .. I agree Dragonfly .. I have a very lovely place here and it's not worth making a big deal about it although I will be keeping it in mind for an appropriate time. We have regular meetings about everything when we can voice our opinions and /or make any objections.

I was in the process of putting pictures on here last night when my computer froze but I am sure that you could see those that were put on Facebook anyway.
Pictures in order of showing - café - kitchen area [I don't have the table and chairs] - restaurant - bedroom [mine is pink ] - outside showing balconies - hairdresser's - outside the café with picnic tables and chairs.
All these are from the show home and exactly how they are.

Cabbie21 Sun 16-Dec-18 11:42:05

My sister is in a care home: the staff knock then enter, though if she called out as you did, they might wait. But usually she needs a lot of supervision, so they need to go in uninvited to make sure she is alright.
Your set up does seem different though. I would certainly bring it up at your next meeting.

Emmaline Sun 16-Dec-18 11:48:33

... and just to finish .. my rent is 140pounds a week which is paid for me by SS. although I know that will cause a lot of controversy but that is what has been agreed to anyway. I do pay about 98pounds for the care package.

By the way .. my online keyboard doesn't have a pound button and even though my [physical] one does it won't put the pound sign on! .. it's not as if the pound is no longer used! seems strange to me hmm

Emmaline Sun 16-Dec-18 11:55:02

Sorry about your sister Cabbie but it's nice to know she is being taken care of .. and yes .. certainly is good that they go in to make sure she's okay but in my case the majority are aware that I don't have much care as it's not necessary.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Dec-18 11:57:09

I'm definitely going to find myself somewhere like this to live when the time comes.

holdingontometeeth Fri 04-Jan-19 15:01:22

Emmaline Do your carers possess magical properties?

couple of weeks ago one of the male carers came straight in even though the door was locked
^

jackfowler Fri 12-Jul-19 12:01:15

Privacy means little in the age of personal computing. In minutes any one can find out anything about you and everyone is ready to broadcast everything anyone might want to know

M0nica Fri 12-Jul-19 21:14:42

I suspect the lock had an emergency release so that someone could be reached in an emergency even though the door was locked.

I think privacy is very very important. When choosing a care home for a relative, I immediately rejected a nice care home I visited when the person showing me round just opened a door and walked into a resident's room without knocking.

Cherrytree59 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:18:45

Another zombie thread