Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Privacy rights

(38 Posts)
jenpax Sat 15-Dec-18 16:20:29

Whatever your living arrangements (and I too am confused!) you have a right to privacy, dignity and respect and I would have a word with the management of this setting about your concerns

lemongrove Sat 15-Dec-18 15:55:36

I should ask them to stop wearing plimsolls or other soft shoes, in favour of strong leather shoes or boots, then you will hear them coming and they won’t be able to creep about.Just a thought, does anyone agree?

ninathenana Sat 15-Dec-18 14:31:05

BlueBelle yes I'm confused too.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Dec-18 13:13:04

They should knock and wait for permission to enter in every situation apart from an emergency, and they will have had this drummed into them (hopefully) regardless of the set up.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Dec-18 13:07:37

I m trying to understand your arrangement you call it a ‘care home’ which would normally be rooms overseen by carers who would certainly ( Hopefully) pop in and out to make sure you are ok Then you say it’s ‘my flat’ so are you meaning sheltered housing with a locked/ or unlocked
front door I think that makes a lot of difference If the carer was at a front door and you in the loo she may not have heard or may not have heard exactly what you said
Can you really get 24/7 care for £140 a week that sounds unbelievable you do have a bargain?
As you told them “in no uncertain terms” lets hope if you need someone in an emergency they are not to scared of invading your privacy

Telly Sat 15-Dec-18 12:44:28

I would bring it up with the management, a respect for clients privacy is essential. Perhaps there are regular meetings where such issues can be raised?

MissAdventure Sat 15-Dec-18 12:28:48

Respecting a persons privacy is a huge part of supporting someone appropriately.
I would make sure that the carers are aware of the procedures regarding this.

Bathsheba Sat 15-Dec-18 12:23:33

Carers, not careers - stupid autocorrect!

Bathsheba Sat 15-Dec-18 12:22:22

I’d be rather put out by this, I agree, but to be honest if I had my own flat, with 24/7 careers in attendance to help me with all my needs, for only £140 a week, I don’t think I’d be rocking the boat ?.

Emmaline Sat 15-Dec-18 11:39:04

There is no way that she didn't hear me and she came in because she was bringing some new medication that the doctor had prescribed as if that was more important than my privacy.
There are numerous carers here as is only to be expected as this is quite a big place and I get on with the majority of them in fact I have been told they enjoy coming in to see me because they know I will have a nice chat with them.

Emmaline Sat 15-Dec-18 11:26:46

This is not the first time either .. a couple of weeks ago one of the male carers came straight in even though the door was locked and proceeded to sort out my meds .. and that was without even a knock on my door! It gave me such a fright as I had just dropped off to sleep.. and neither of them offered any sort of apology!

Luckygirl Sat 15-Dec-18 11:24:13

It is a difficult balance for carers who need to make sure people are OK when they get no response - it may be that she did not hear you.

But if she did, then she was out of order, and you are right to be upset. I hope that you were able to have a reasonable conversation with her about this as you do not want to get off on the wrong foot. It sounds as if the conversation was a bit heated, so maybe you need to talk with her about this when you are not feeling so understandably annoyed.

Emmaline Sat 15-Dec-18 11:18:29

I have recently moved into a care home and the carers are on site 24/7 which is great although I only need a body wash first thing in the morning .. however one or two of them do NOT seem to be bothered about our right to privacy.
Yesterday one of the carers knocked on my door and as I was in the loo I shouted "I'l be with you in a minute" and repeated this a couple of times but she came in anyway!
I was so annoyed and told her so in no uncertain terms.
I pay 140 pounds a week for this flat and it's my home so why should anyone be allowed to just walk in whenever they like .. what say you?!