Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

I've lost my rings.

(80 Posts)
BonnieBlooming Wed 08-May-19 13:17:09

I know that compared to some of the issues people are dealing with this is nothing but I seem to have lost my wedding, engagement and eternity rings. Since losing a lot of weight they have been very loose and I don't wear them everyday. They usually sit on a wee ring stand on my dressing table and I noticed on Monday they were not there. They are not so loose that they could have fallen off and I never take them off outside (eg when washing my hands). We have spent two days taking the house apart looking for them. All the obvious places and all the not so obvious but no luck.
I dont care about the value of the rings but it is our 40 anniversary in August so they have great sentimental value.
What is also upsetting me is that my DD gave birth to a much awaited baby boy on Monday night and at a time when I should just be overjoyed this has cast a real shadow.
I have said to myself that it would be much worse if I had lost a person, they are just rings, but I feel so upset.
Has anyone had this experience? How did you come to terms with it? I suffer badly with anxiety at the best of times.

Calendargirl Tue 14-May-19 19:56:01

Don’t give up hope!

BonnieBlooming Tue 14-May-19 18:42:52

Still no sign of the rings! My husband has even taken the bottom of the sofa. Everyday I think of another unlikely place they may be and check but no luck. As part of our insurance I had to report the loss to the police. The officer who rang me told me he had lost his wedding ring. He didn't wear it to work but put it in an empty bottle in his bathroom cabinet. His wife did a clear out and threw the bottle out!

rockgran Sun 12-May-19 17:43:56

I once found a lost bracelet in the pocket of a dressing gown that I had used on a weekend away.

grandmac Sun 12-May-19 16:52:51

My daughter lost all three of her rings too. We searched everywhere, reported the loss to the police in case someone had found them in the street, said prayers, then searched everywhere again. No luck. Then some weeks later she put on a cardigan she hadn’t worn for ages and there was a clinking sound, and yes the rings fell out of the sleeve as she put it on!! So check your sleeves before despairing BonnyBlooming. Hope you find them.

Telly Fri 10-May-19 19:51:01

They may turn up or be in the house somewhere. My sil lost some earrings, found years later when they replaced the bathroom suite - they had fallen into a gap behind the sink.

Nanny41 Fri 10-May-19 18:24:48

I feel for you, but as others have said if all three are missing they are somewhere in the house,its just finding them.Please let us all know when you find them and where you found them, they WILL turn up. Good Luck.

blue60 Fri 10-May-19 12:03:43

This may sound odd, but when I lose things, I ask St Anthony for his help to find them. A couple of examples, a lost item was found after asking St Anthony for help. I had spent weeks looking for something, I walked into the spare bedroom and a cardboard box fell from the shelf. Inside was the missing item. Another was a box of charms, after asking him it had dropped behind another box in front of it and appeared when I had given up. I had decided to move the boxes to tidy up and there it was.

I only ever ask as a last resort, but it seems to work every time, even if not immediately. Good luck xx

shysal Fri 10-May-19 08:11:14

Reminds me of the story of a woman who lost her ring so prayed to St Anthony. She was delighted when he returned it to her in her knickers when she went to the loo!

Marydoll Fri 10-May-19 07:18:50

About a year ago, I decided to wear my mum's engagement ring to a special event. I searched the house high and low, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I was distraught.

Roll on six months later:I was clearing out my life of junk and about to throw out an old purse, which had been lying in a drawer.
There was a small bump in it and lo and behold the ring was inside it. I have absolutely no idea how it got there, ? as I usually keeep it in a safe (only a small one, in case you all think I'm a millionaire!!! ?.

I did pray to St Anthony, bought thought he had let me down. Sorry!

annep1 Fri 10-May-19 07:04:47

Perhaps you took them off in bed and they got pushed down the back of the bedside table. This sometimes happens with ny earrings.

BradfordLass72 Fri 10-May-19 01:12:51

Many years ago and shortly after I was married, I was in the orchard of my parents in law, playing ball with my SIL (12) as I threw the ball to her, my ring went sailing off my finger into the grass.

We looked all round, far beyond the radius we felt it could be. Finally, the next day, we hired a metal detector and did every inch of the orchard - to no avail.

Some years later, almost the same thing happened to my son and again the search and metal detector and again no luck.

We have come to the conclusion that the rings are with the socks which regularly go missing from the washing machine grin

GreenGran78 Fri 10-May-19 00:08:35

I was going on a trip to a stately home, the other day, and couldn’t find my National Trust membership card. I searched high and low, then said, “Come on, St. Anthony. Help me out here!” A few minutes later I suddenly remembered where I had put it. He has never let me down, except for the prescription sunglasses which have twice disappeared from my luggage in the hold, en route to Australia, and have never been seen since. Now that WAS an unsolved mystery.
I hope that your rings turn up soon. When something goes missing like that it makes you a bit crazy. You keep going back to the same places, checking and rechecking. Have you been handling any duvets recently? Check inside, if so. Find out if there is a metal detectorist club in your area. They are usually happy to come along and check peoples’ gardens for lost objects. Good luck.

blueskies Thu 09-May-19 19:50:46

I’m not one for praying but will take up your suggestions and ask St Anthony for help. Many years ago my dear old dad found a metal chain necklace on the top deck of a tram. He sat at the kitchen table with a pair of pliers and made four rings from it, one for each of his daughters. Mine was so precious to me. I wore it in the house when feeling troubled. It must be somewhere here but goodness knows where. I have felt really unwell since it’s gone missing.

lilypotts Thu 09-May-19 19:31:32

I lost a 3 stone diamond ring about 18 months ago. Searched everywhere, went through vacuum bags, no sign of it. I may have accidentally swept it from my desk into a waste paper bin and it then ended up in the dustbin. I thought about it only today, it will always niggle. I do hope you find yours, I still live in hope that mine will turn up.

Chris4159 Thu 09-May-19 19:15:55

Have you tried your dressing gown pockets. Left mine in my dressing gown after washing my hands but forgot where I left them. Good luck in finding them

luluaugust Thu 09-May-19 19:11:58

I do hope your rings turn up soon, it does sound as if they are all together. I thought I had lost my wedding ring I keep it on a ring holder overnight but it wasn't there, some days later I found it on a nail polish bottle. I also thought I had lost 3 sets of earrings and months later they turned up in with my husband's cufflinks - there is hope.

Grandmama Thu 09-May-19 18:54:31

Many, many years ago a friend was taking my two smallish DDs and me out for the day. I thought I'd wear a very old and precious ring, not very valuable but probably the engagement ring of one of my grandmothers that I inherited with her jewellery box. But I couldn't find the ring. When I got home in the evening I turned the house upside down but couldn't find it. Some considerable time later I found it - under the nest of tables in the front room. How did it get there, why hadn't I spotted it before because I polished those tables on an almost weekly basis, how come it had never gone up the vacuum cleaner? Quite astonishing.

Something similar happened with a lost ear-ring, out of the blue I found it on the dining room carpet ages after I'd lost it. Again, why hadn't it gone up the vacuum cleaner?

So, Bonny Blooming, if all three are lost perhaps you have put them in a 'safe place' and they'll turn up when you least expect it. I hope so.

St Anthony is brilliant at finding lost things.

Saggi Thu 09-May-19 18:16:10

You say they’re loose...check your coat pockets ....I lost mine once and didn’t see them for three months...then I pulled a magazine out off the glove compartment of car and they came flying at me from top of magazine....weird!!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 09-May-19 17:09:11

Yes my daughter a youngish widow, took her ring off her finger as her finger was swelling up due to an injury. She put them in a safe place. When she went back a few weeks later to get it it was gone. The house, the bins everywhere was searched. The worry was she has carers in three times a day and thought one of them had taken it. We reported it but no luck. As she was so upset I gave her my mums wedding ring that I had kept. She was overjoyed and feels a lot better now. Told her next time to put it in her little lockable safe she has. A few years ago she had £200 go missing, we reported it to the police and the care people it was never solved.

GrammaH Thu 09-May-19 16:32:21

Oh Bonnie, I'm so terribly sad for you. I lost my engagement ring last July and I was absolutely heartbroken. It had been on my finger for 38 years &, as I was getting washed in the bath one evening, I realised I was no longer wearing it, it had just slipped off & I hadn't even noticed. Obviously, I retraced my steps that day, phoned everywhere I'd been several times in the next few days but all to no avail. I realised that I.might even have lost it in the sea the previous week when we were away & just not realised. The worst bit was that I knew it was loose as I'd lost weight & I'd decided I would get it made smaller when I got home from holiday....so sad. I've had a new, very beautiful ring made- nothing like the original as I could never recreate it. It's lovely but it's just a ring, nothing could replace all the sentiment & love that went with it. I feel your pain Bonnie

Willow500 Thu 09-May-19 16:23:38

Last year I lost a very expensive watch which was given to me for 10 years service with the company I worked for. I knew I'd taken it to a jewelers to see if they could replace the battery and was convinced I'd either lost it on the way home or someone had stolen it from my handbag in the post office. After weeks of searching I'd given up when I picked up a carrier bag of artificial flowers to put them in the loft as it had been on the dining room chair for ages. I felt something hard in the bottom so tipped it out and there was my watch - no idea how it got in there!

I hope you find your rings - they will be all together somewhere - is it possible you've inadvertently put them in the freezer with some food? I did that with my car keys!

Lyndiloo Thu 09-May-19 15:24:59

Try this: Get a pendulum. You could easily use a cross and chain or something like that. Pendulums move either round in a circle or to and fro. Decide what, for you, is going to be 'Yes' and 'No'. Find a time when you can be alone and undisturbed. Sit at the table. Relax yourself completely. Now look at your left hand (presuming this is the hand on which you wear your rings). Imagine your rings are back on your finger. Really try to see them there. The next step is to bring up the joy in you that you will actually have when they are back on your finger. Now close your eyes and say in your mind, 'Find, find, find', as many times as you like, all the time feeling calm and peaceful and happy.

This isn't mumbo-jumbo! Presuming that your rings haven't been stolen or moved by someone else, you know where they are! (You've just forgotten!) And what you're trying to do here is to access your deeper mind.

Now hold the pendulum, between thumb and forefinger, about 2" from the table-top and ask questions that would have a 'Yes' or 'No' answer. Begin with, 'Are my rings in the house?', if the answer is 'Yes', narrow it down. i.e. 'Are my rings in the kitchen?' Continue with this until (hopefully) you find out where they are. Don't worry if you don't get a definitive answer, or find your rings straight away.

Over the next few hours, or days, gently repeat in your mind, 'Find, find, find.' And keep the absolute joy and expectation in your mind and body of your rings being returned to you. (Watch your dreams too!)

Good luck! (And have fun with this - no gloomy-doomy thoughts!)

Bijou Thu 09-May-19 14:33:31

Hope the rings turn up soon.
I have never taken off my wedding ring. Seventy three years ago it had facets with flowers but now has worn right down. I now cannot get it off anyway. Hospital taped it over when I went for an op
My husband couldn’t afford an engagement ring but on our twenty first anniversary said he would buy me a ring. At the time I had back trouble and had half an acre of lawn to mow with a dodgy mower so I said I’d rather have a new motor mower rather than maybe lying on my back admiring my ring.

pce612 Thu 09-May-19 14:10:46

I hope that they turn up soon.
When they do, you could buy clips that fit inside the ring to reduce the size so that they won't slip off. If your fingers get bigger, the rings will still fit.

Peardrop50 Thu 09-May-19 14:03:48

I had the same thought as JayLucy. Is it possible that a member of your family has spirited them away to have them altered as a surprise for you? Hope so. Good luck.