Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

My life on the table

(80 Posts)
Anrol Sat 18-May-19 10:28:48

We are going away to CP in Suffolk with AS & his family for a few days next week. Consequently the house has piles of things ready to take & transfer to the car. I’ve just eaten my breakfast on the semi cluttered dining table. As I looked up it occurred to me the items pushed to one corner of the table portrayed bits and pieces of my character and interests; a vase of pale coloured roses, another vase of fake daffodils, my telescope in the corner, a dress with a spool of cotton on the top waiting for mending, a piece of pottery which has been drying in the sunshine from the window, a pair of gardening gloves & secateurs, a cut up pear & banana, a half drunk cup of tea (how many times do I do this) & a very old map book of England. I was wondering what few items would portray you?

Sara65 Sun 19-May-19 08:52:30

Oh, Lyndiloo

I was just thinking the same!

chicken Sun 19-May-19 08:54:23

On my table: a vase of pink carnations, a pot of deep blue streptocarpus in full bloom, a pot of fake magnolia blossom (very realistic), a handmade pink and clear glass bowl (relic of a hobby in younger days) filled with iridescent glass baubles and a box of chocolates from the Chocolate Tasting Club, plus various papers belonging to OH which he should have dealt with long ago.
What sums up my life is the coffee table with its tottering pile of reference books on plants, flowers, birds, literature, science, biography and so many more---always in use so no point putting them away in the bookcase!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-May-19 08:55:42

Just sat at my actual dining table, and on it are the breakfast things which when cleared in a minute will be a cut glass antique bowl which belonged to my paternal great grandmother, in it are oranges, and there will be place mats and serviettes each end of the table and that’s all?.

Grammaretto Sun 19-May-19 09:05:55

What a lovely creative thread! I thought you were here in my room Gonegirl! My emptied Dyson was here yesterday.
This table is a mess but I was about to tackle it.
New laptop, mousepad which is a photo of all our DGC.
jar of assorted pens, jug of knitting needles, screwdriver, bite cream, matches, light bulb, hole punch (so that's where it is!) seed packets, a tidy package of new wool, a mountain of unsorted papers, books, notelets,

But no tea!! I'd better attend to that now. First things first.

Telly Sun 19-May-19 09:34:30

Not on the table, but the few things that would define me are some books, paper and pen, a bag of compost and a trowel, some chocolate - hidden of course!

schnackie Sun 19-May-19 09:41:20

As Telly said, not on my table but surrounding me in my small living room, map of Europe so I can see where I've been and where I want to go, photos of DGC, about 6 photos of DD's wedding (13 years ago!!), TV mag, and 3 bookcases full after I had a big clear out, and many photo albums of my small but loved family who are mostly dead.

Sheilasue Sun 19-May-19 09:45:51

On my table is a vase of flowers given to me by my neighbour for looking after her home when she goes away.
A set of drinks mats with a Scottish piper on another present.
A Avon catalogue book.
And a table runner with embroidered flowers on from
A charity shop.
Was going to say our cat Oscar but he’s just jumped off. He like to look out the window.

Bijou Sun 19-May-19 09:46:46

On the sofa beside my riser recliner chair are TV remote, Radio Times, puzzle books, reading glasses, nail file, packet of tissues, writing pad, letter opener, diary and a letter opener and an incomplete shopping list. Also five hand made tapestry cushions reminder of a past hobby.

Nanny41 Sun 19-May-19 09:48:39

On my kitchen table at the moment is a pile of newspapers, magazines and a bit of junk mail.A little vase of spring flowers picked from the garden yesterday.Also a cup of tea waiting to be finished off.

loopyloo Sun 19-May-19 09:48:51

On our table is our desk top computer, which my DH uses endlessly to watch YouTube, my knitting, Mandarin flash cards, nail gardener and an awful lot of stuff that needs tidying up.
On the mantel piece are photos of family and our voting cards for Thursday.

Septimia Sun 19-May-19 09:59:58

My table has the remains of the sewing I've been doing - the sewing machine is on the adjacent work table, but I need room to cut and pin etc.
It also has piles of papers relating to organisations that I belong to, all of which papers need sorting, tidying and putting away.
Then there are various documents relating to a new project that DH and I are getting involved with. As well as anything else that needs dealing with because if I put it away I'll forget to do it. Often the odd fossil or archaeological find, too.
Do we eat at the table? Only when we have guests......

matson Sun 19-May-19 10:00:46

Flowers, a plant, cup of tea, books, the cat and my glasses.

wot Sun 19-May-19 10:02:02

Teddy bears, books, unseen dvds brother gave me, succulent plants, lists and lists of lists. Semi chaos.

Cabbie21 Sun 19-May-19 10:07:16

Apart from a vase of flowers, my dining table is taken up with a jigsaw puzzle I have just started. I have to wait until I have a few days clear as I don’t want it to be cluttering up the table too long.
Elsewhere are choir folders and various musical scores relating to various choirs/ concerts / services in which I am singing or have recently sung.
Then near my chair are newspapers I haven’t yet had time to read in a run of rehearsals and concerts, my iPad which I use all the time and a notepad with my “to do” list.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 19-May-19 10:08:49

Which three items sum up me?
The table itself - old pine, well old to me - chunky country style,
my first patchwork quilt (hand-sewn hexagons) is underneath the polka dot oilcloth - I've got better at quilting over the years,
and my favourite cup and saucer (I prefer those to mugs) - over-sized as I really love my tea.

SalsaQueen Sun 19-May-19 10:16:13

On my dining table..... a couple of scented candles, a multi-picture photo frame (I've yet to get some photos printed to put in it), a few small but unusual presents for a friend's birthday soon, a plant in a cat-shaped pot, and a book about forensic science.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 19-May-19 10:36:07

What a lovely and fascinating discussion. ?My table is uncluttered except for a tablecloth, an old brass candlestick and a glass bowl displaying a collection of different sized and coloured marbles,
However the rest of the room is a different story! Around my chair in the corner (my compost corner...) are my Kindle and various 'real' books, along with my crochet bag with current project in it, my knitting bag with next project in it, plus my travel lace pillow with ongoing piece of lace for a dolls house parasol. In the same vicinity is my motorcycle crash helmet, as a reminder to charge up the helmet radio on it when I go out on Herself (my beloved motorcycle). (Thankfully all my riding kit is contained upstairs). At t'other end of the room is my piano, complete with piles of music I am currently enjoying or attempting to master. To one side of the piano is my 60's era dolls house, in front of which is my full-sized lace pillow, complete with pattern pinned on it, awaiting me winding thread on the necessary bobbins. To the other side of the piano is my large Victorian era dolls house. The inside of the 60's house is relatively uncluttered (reflecting my wishful thinking), whereas the interior of the correctly cluttered Victorian house reflects my truer nature! I may have an uncluttered table top but have to confess that underneath are various hobby boxes containing stuff like beading, needlefelting and Japanese braiding. Cluttered? You bet, but just demonstrates a busy and very fulfilling existence! ?

4allweknow Sun 19-May-19 10:37:23

On my dining table is a small jar with 3 hydrangea blooms in it. This is sat upon a slate coaster which is sat upon a crocheted table mat. I am obsessed about my table being cared for. Took me a long time to save the money to buy it and I love it. GC do get to do their things on it as I cover it with a plastic balloon patterned cloth for their handywork. However, my conservatory is another matter. Little souvenirs from special places, plants, photos, collage of pictures of GC, small cabinet stuffed full of GC games, side tables, knitting bag with current project, low level unit with tv etc, small vase with my knitted daffodils, two very large balloon type colourful gin glasses (gift from my very recently deceased daughter) I just can't bear to put away, bundle of condolence cards again I cannot deal with. Solid wood coffee table made by husband, used for all manner of purposes with resultant dents and scratches. Bit of a mixture really, but my life feels very muddled at the moment.

BGrannie1 Sun 19-May-19 11:08:22

My dining room is always tidy, its on the B&B side of the house - so a large Stilton Cheese Plate & Cover sits in the middle.

The sofa in my study however....
An open bookings folder - just come off the phone
Half finished knitting of baby cot blanket
A puzzle magazine
Horse racing magazine
and the book I'm in the middle of...

Why not have it all around me whilst relaxing - I put it all away before bed. My sofa, my mess!

Great thread!

annodomini Sun 19-May-19 11:32:23

An African violet and a forest cactus waiting to be put back on the window sill; newspapers for the recycling bin; miscellaneous pencils and pens; a bunch of keys and a pair of gloves.
It's a gate-legged table with only one of its leaves up.

ReadyMeals Sun 19-May-19 11:33:14

I was inwardly going "aargh" when I read the OP. I can't stand having anything on the table other than what I am eating or working on at the time :D I was the same with my desk at work. I have a little sideboard and all the clutter goes on that.

Theoddbird Sun 19-May-19 11:39:08

I just cleared my table as a carpenter was coming to give me quote for some work. It does have a 1950s tablecloth on it though. What defines me....my narrow boat home and its vintage/bohemian interior maybe. Also my vinyl from the the 60s and 70s. My trunk full of craft stuff and fabric. The patchwork quilts on my bed and my rocking chair. Oh my goodness...a lot of things. Just couldn't narrow it down...hahaha

Maggiemaybe Sun 19-May-19 11:39:20

On my coffee table, fifteen minutes ago:
My knitting
Our railcard
Yesterday's Guardian in its many components
An unwritten birthday card
Documents for my PPI claim (must get on with it)
An empty cup
A quarter full bottle of wine brought back from yesterday's quiz night
Entry form and scrap paper from above, to recycle
Two biros
One competition magazine
The last book I finished
A story called The Blue Eyed Cat, written by our DS1 (30 years ago)
Three notepads, with lists
A pot of nail varnish
A cocktail stick
A small pot of red paint bought on Thursday for the cellar steps
My P60
Various documents for our upcoming holiday
An unidentified bit of yellow and black plastic, that may or may not be something to do with K'nex
Four drinks mats (hidden under the other stuff)
The TV remote

I have now taken Lyndiloo's comments to heart, and it is newly polished, with nothing on it but a book, drinks mats and a full cup of coffee. It won't last and I won't be able to find a thing for days.

Glammy57 Sun 19-May-19 13:22:36

Currently on my conservatory table: my iPhone, a lipstick, The Guardian Weekend magazine, an empty Prosecco glass, framed photo of my dd and dgd, Labour election flyer, Michelle Obama’s autobiography and a woven basket containing odds and sods! ?

Llamedos13 Sun 19-May-19 13:38:34

I’m with you Lyndiloo, nothing on my dining table but a lovely big glass bowl!