Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Decision to move away

(30 Posts)
Nana9 Fri 10-Jan-20 01:18:30

We have 6 beautiful grandchildren where we currently live. Ages 5-12. So many happy memories. In the past year we decided to follow one of our dreams to live near the mountains in another state about 1000 miles away. We are 61 and 62. Active and line hiking and cycling. We also have a child in that City with 3 children. Those are she's infant to 4 years old.
I'm a retired nurse, my husband does not want to retire so we decided we would live where we love to vacation and vacation throughout the year with the family we are leaving behind.
We knew the kids here would not be happy about that, but our oldest is really angry and sad. I would love some tips on how to support her but also help her understand this is something we have always wanted to do.

moggie57 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:25:20

tell her that if you didnt do it now you never would .invite her to stay over. its your life ...tell her you dont love her any less.but its something you wanted to do...

TrendyNannie6 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:43:44

Follow your dreams you have raised your children now it’s your turn to do what you want to do, I can’t understand AC getting angry because their parents want to upstix, you go and have a great life, your children will adapt

BradfordLass72 Mon 13-Jan-20 06:08:36

Time2 Your daughter's selfishness and determination to make you suffer for not toeing her line, is breathtakingly self-indulgent.
I read you post with open mouth.
She doesn't deserve you .

KarenDerna Fri 07-Feb-20 10:27:27

Well me and my husband (second husband) decided to move from UK to Spain, to enable us to retire a few years early. We made the decision on our own, then informed our children, who were all delighted for us. We sold our house a year later love it here, best decision for us. My oldest son emigrated to Canada a few years ago, as they wanted to be near my daughter in laws family, I was fully behind them. I brought my children up to be independent , I love them, but we don't need to see each other or speak to each other all the time, we all have our own lives to lead. Our children are all welcome to visit when they want and have done so. What I'm saying is you need to live your own lives, for yourselves, you raise your children, then they are adults, that's life, in my opinion. Once your children are adults they should lead their own independent lives, you are there for them in times of difficulty, but they don't need you all the time .