Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Decision to move away

(29 Posts)
lavenderzen Fri 10-Jan-20 10:18:16

I understand Nana9 how you feel. I moved only 10 miles from DD1 (many years ago I might add) but she was horrified that I was doing that and said she felt as if I was deserting her. We did get over it and in actual fact she moved and lives many miles from me now. We are just as close as we ever were despite the miles.

It is so hard with your children, we know we have to let them "fly" but they will always be our children and we always be their parents. Talk to her and reassure her you will always be there for her, you will talk often and travel to see each other. She will get used to it just needs time.

Best wishes to you all.

rosecarmel Fri 10-Jan-20 04:56:27

She might have been dreading the arrival of this day for some time, so give her enough space to be disappointed- I mean if it's something you've always wanted to do it must have come up in discussion- But if it never was mentioned its probably come as a bit of a shock- We've all been surprised by life from time to time so just provide her with the same support you received and appreciated when life surprised you-

hondagirl Fri 10-Jan-20 04:07:05

I's a difficult one. Children think they have the right to move where they want but the same doesn't apply to their parents. Ask her what she would do if her dream job/lifestyle opportunity came up somewhere which meant her moving away. She may be mourning the loss of the family home which she maybe sees as the centre of the family. You need to do what suits you now while you can.

Nana9 Fri 10-Jan-20 01:18:30

We have 6 beautiful grandchildren where we currently live. Ages 5-12. So many happy memories. In the past year we decided to follow one of our dreams to live near the mountains in another state about 1000 miles away. We are 61 and 62. Active and line hiking and cycling. We also have a child in that City with 3 children. Those are she's infant to 4 years old.
I'm a retired nurse, my husband does not want to retire so we decided we would live where we love to vacation and vacation throughout the year with the family we are leaving behind.
We knew the kids here would not be happy about that, but our oldest is really angry and sad. I would love some tips on how to support her but also help her understand this is something we have always wanted to do.