Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Old Fashion School Dinners

(35 Posts)
Foxgloveandroses Tue 18-Aug-20 23:33:24

I loved school dinners and was trying to choose my favourite.
I think it has to be cheese and potato pie with plum tinned tomatoes and tapioca (frog spawn) for pudding.
Anyone else remember a favourite!? ?

Marydoll Wed 19-Aug-20 00:11:29

Oh I absolutely hated school dinners, ?apart from the caramel cake.
I was trying to find a picture. Basically a shortcrust pastry case with a tin of Carnation Caramel poured on top.

paddyanne Wed 19-Aug-20 00:39:19

we had cornflakes on top of the caramelMarydoll .our dinners were cooked in the convent kitchen and were very good .I liked them I remember stewed sausage with mash scooped out n an ice cream scoop and carrots as a particular favourite.Thats quite odd as sausages have never been things I've bought or eaten since .

FarNorth Wed 19-Aug-20 00:43:08

I liked shepherd's pie followed by anything with custard.
School custard tasted nothing like home custard, of course. I'm a big fan of both.

tanith Wed 19-Aug-20 07:47:59

Sausage roll, the dinner ladies would cut a slice off of a huge roll, with mash and peas and gravy the pastry was just perfect. Chocolate pud with chocolate custard oh yummy.

LullyDully Wed 19-Aug-20 08:05:08

Don't start me off. Suet in all the many forms known to woman.

TerriBull Wed 19-Aug-20 08:19:50

School dinners at my junior schools were vile, they were the bane of my early school life under age 11, along with the compulsory milk. I had an ongoing phobia about being forced to ingest lumpy matter that was ever present in any white foodstuff sad That fear overshadowed the occasional nice pudding, or something agreeable like the chipolatas, sadly always ruined by the accompanying lumpy mash. They improved somewhat at my convent, senior school, cooked in the kitchens by the nuns who seemed to at least have some culinary know how, rather than being supplied by the local council in industrial sized containers as they were at junior school. We were also given the choice at senior school to have a hot cooked meal or bring our own packed lunch if we wished.

Gingster Wed 19-Aug-20 08:24:18

I only liked the chocolate crunch pud with chocolate custard. I think it was supposed to be a sponge but it was always over cooked and became a crunch. Loved it.

Grannybags Wed 19-Aug-20 09:46:32

I hated school dinners and spent most of the lunch times sobbing over cold food I was being forced to eat.

The only think I liked was Gypsy Tart. Sounds a bit like your caramel cake Marydoll

Grannybags Wed 19-Aug-20 09:46:59

think!...thing

MiniMoon Wed 19-Aug-20 09:54:16

I loved my school dinners.

In junior school I went home for lunch, living only 5 minutes away from the school, so the joys of school dinner didn't reach me until I was 11.

I think my favourite meal was brown stew with mashed potatoes and vegetables, followed by chocolate sponge with peppermint sauce.

The school cook also made Manchester tart which I also loved, but have never managed to replicate no matter how much I've tried.

Beechnut Wed 19-Aug-20 10:12:56

We used to call that pudding ‘Tarmac’ Ginster and had pink custard with it.

JessK Wed 19-Aug-20 10:26:39

I wasn't a great fan and used to either go home or take a packed lunch but can remember that chips were on the menu about once a fortnight, not like todays dinners where you can have chips every day.

timetogo2016 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:31:56

Chocolate slab cake was the best,other than that yuk.

Daisymae Wed 19-Aug-20 10:35:07

The standard of cooking at home was poor, basically everything was boiled to death. Sadly school dinners were only a marginal improvement. Treacle tart was probably the best.

Witzend Wed 19-Aug-20 10:46:17

Mostly not very nice, but edible. Puddings were nearly always some variety of stodge, with watery custard. About once a term at my senior school there was a pud called Chocolate Cracknel, which was delish.
I did like school rice pudding. Frog Spawn, OTOH ?

At the school I went to from 9-11 it was fish and chips and ice cream every Thursday, but it was after swimming when we were all starving, and the teacher who doled it out gave far more chips to the older boys (served first!) so there were precious few for the girls. ?

Calendargirl Wed 19-Aug-20 10:58:03

School custard was lovely.
I can see the dinner lady now, Mrs. M., ladling it out of a big stainless steel vat.
It seemed creamy, just the right consistency, not too thin and not too thick, and not too sweet. Mum’s Birds custard was always too sweet.
Also loved chocolate cannonballs with pink blancmange.

Justwidowed Wed 19-Aug-20 11:00:57

I'd just been diagnosed with diabetes when I started at the convent school aged 11.The nuns and the school cook were very nervous about the right meals to cook and asked my mother to come in every day to coook my meals,which she did.They later found she was a good sewer and employed her to mend their clothes.This became a full time job for which she was grateful.
Nowadays school meals seem to cater well for diabetics with salads and fruit always available.
The nuns always saved a bottle of milk for the afternoon break, I was very lucky.

Grandmabatty Thu 20-Aug-20 14:33:04

I always went home for lunch. Eventually, in my last year of secondary school I had school dinner on a Friday. That's because they did turkey or chicken in gravy with stuffing and chips and doughnuts with custard. I remember that well.

Poppyred Thu 20-Aug-20 14:39:52

Loved school dinners, all of them. Favourite was fish in batter with mash peas and white sauce. YUM.

Jaxjacky Thu 20-Aug-20 15:26:20

I loved school lunch, a lot of the meals mentioned bought back memories!
JessK our GC school, up to age 11 only has chips on Fridays, with oven baked fish or the vegetarian option.

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:17:32

I was at a convent and the food was superb. The only problem being we had to eat everything put in front of us and most desserts almost made me sick so even to this day I prefer fruit or cheese.

I do not remember ever eating fruit there.

Antonia Thu 20-Aug-20 16:31:18

I remember the most perfect ice cream wafers. Absolutely delicious, I have never had ice cream as good as that since those days.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 20-Aug-20 18:15:36

My school dinners were lovely,apart from spam fritters!
On Friday after swimming it was always fish and chips followed by a doughnut and washed down with hot chocolate ?

Marydoll Thu 20-Aug-20 20:03:09

I too was at a convent school, but the food was awful! Cold stodge and more cold stodge.?