Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Old Fashion School Dinners

(36 Posts)
Foxgloveandroses Tue 18-Aug-20 23:33:24

I loved school dinners and was trying to choose my favourite.
I think it has to be cheese and potato pie with plum tinned tomatoes and tapioca (frog spawn) for pudding.
Anyone else remember a favourite!? ?

TheFrugalPiggy Thu 20-Aug-20 20:23:06

I rarely had school dinners but I loved the macaroni cheese, the pizza and chips and the chocolate sponge pudding with chocolate custard.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Aug-20 21:10:43

I ate anything and everything---seconds too grin
My favourite was meat pie, cooked on the premises and was lovely with shortcrust pastry, mashed potatoes cabbage and gravy. Mince tart and custard.
Looking back, the dinners weren't bad at all.

JackyB Fri 21-Aug-20 06:55:09

Crikey, we never had chips and pizza hadn't been invented when I went to school. I ate it all, don't remember particularly liking or disliking any of it.

I remember we always had salad on Wednesdays - or what was called salad in those days, the only kind of sauce being salad cream. And an orange on the last school day before Christmas.

Sallywally1 Fri 21-Aug-20 07:06:43

I mostly loved them, our parents did not provide much in the way of meals and when they did they were inedible. The school caramel tart was lovely.

I do have memories of fat on meat which I hate and not being able to leave the table until the plate was cleared. I have a horror of fatty meat to this day. Can you imagine a dinner lady doing that to a child today!, the parents would take them to court! I was bullied by the other children in the playground too. Childhood the happiest days of your life? I don’t think so.

pollyperkins Fri 21-Aug-20 07:19:07

I hated school dinners at primary school and for years I wouldn’t eat cabbage, swede, mashed potato or stew of any kind aa they were ,respectively overcooked and watery, tasteless, lumpy with black bits in and greasy & gristly. I cant remember having anything else there but I pleaded with my parents to fo home to dinner & eventually they relented.
At secondary school it was a bit better especially the puddings which I generally liked. My favourites were treacle tart ((with crushed cornflakes), manchester tart, chocolate sponge - all with custard. Wasnt so keen on the sago.
I seem to remember having some sort of questionnaire at one point and lots of us asked for chips, after which we had them about once a week. But no-one had heard of pizza then!

GrandmaMoira Fri 21-Aug-20 13:17:59

I hated school dinners.
I've never heard of ice cream being served at school as people here remember. Neither my children or grandchildren have had it at school either.

Liaise Fri 21-Aug-20 14:54:41

Spam was the only thing we could recognise at my primary school apart from the pink boiled sausages. The food was was cooked somewhere else and shipped in. I can't remember having a decent dinner except in the "British Restaurants " which were set up to feed people during rationing.
DH says his school salad often had things crawling in it.

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 22-Aug-20 20:07:12

Grans, it was the late 70s/early 80s, which explains the ?.

NotTooOld Sat 22-Aug-20 22:26:56

My mum used to joke that any time she asked me what I'd had for school dinner in the 50s the answer was always the same - cheese pie and cake. The cheese pie was truly awful but the cake was alright. Imagine the fat content of that meal, though.

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 22:30:42

I have no positive memories of school meals. I remember them all being disgusting and was extremely relieved when I went to secondary school and could take a packed lunch.