Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Silly things we do

(60 Posts)
sandye Wed 21-Apr-21 17:31:42

Does anyone else find themselves doing silly things? I found myself drying my hands to put them back in a sink full of water to pull the plug.

Savvy Fri 23-Apr-21 02:31:40

I ran a nice hot bath and realised when I stepped into it that I still had my socks on.

Shelflife Fri 23-Apr-21 08:57:50

Glad it's not just me . Yesterday I reached for my stay perfume had two or three sprays before I realized I had used my vitamin D spray!

Polarbear2 Fri 23-Apr-21 08:58:29

I spent hours making stock from leftover veg and chicken carcass. I never normally do stuff like that but decided to be ‘good’. After several hours simmering I then drained the whole lot down the sink. ?‍♀️ Think I’ll go back to oxo.

Juliet27 Fri 23-Apr-21 09:04:05

I once put hard boiled eggs, which didn’t seem to be quite hard enough, in the microwave to finish off and when I took them out they exploded...over the floor, the ceiling, me, and the dogs had a wonderful time licking it off each other.

vampirequeen Fri 23-Apr-21 09:54:48

Two things you should never do. Firstly don't spray hairspray into your arm pits and secondly don't spray anti perspirant onto your hair. Yes I've done both.

Lollin Fri 23-Apr-21 10:04:53

I need to add another but it would take too long to type. I’ve put this on my watch list though as it keeps making me laugh! Excellent topic sandye

henetha Fri 23-Apr-21 10:09:13

Twice I've put my freshly made cup of tea in the fridge and then carried the milk jug into the living room to drink.
Reading all the above is a huge relief to me... smile

timetogo2016 Fri 23-Apr-21 10:15:04

I walked home from work many years ago only to find my dh standing on the front door step asking where is the car.
It was because i went shopping first was my excuse as i always walked to work.
I never lived it down.

Savvy Fri 23-Apr-21 16:47:19

I took all the washing out of the washing machine to hang it out to dry. It was still dirty, I'd forgotten to start the washing machine.

I also washed and tumble dried my wrist watch on the highest setting when I left it in the pocket of my trousers. Best thing was, it only needed a new battery.

Suki70 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:51:05

Walking across the playground into school one morning I said to the other teacher with me that there was something wrong with my legs because I was leaning to one side. Looking down we saw I was wearing odd shoes, one heel was an inch higher than the other. Had to walk lopsidedly all day long.

Grandmajean Fri 23-Apr-21 18:58:02

As a teenager I tried snootily to ignore some lads with motor bikes trying to chat me up as I stood at the bus stop. When one offered to guide me across the road I realised I was not at a bus stop !!

Jezra Sat 12-Feb-22 00:30:18

I once stepped into a hot bath with my slippers on!

lemsip Sat 12-Feb-22 00:59:30

arriving at my sons house I noticed the car window was open, I put my hand through it to open the door and close window but of course the alarm went off as soon as my hand went through window causing son to come running out and me with a red face!

nadateturbe Sat 12-Feb-22 01:01:04

These are hilarious. Great thread sandye

BlueBelle Sat 12-Feb-22 05:39:16

Not sure if you know that a way to get the burnt black off a saucepan is to boil washing powder in some water in it…..that is unless you then boil the washing powder water dry
Dah ……that’s me folks

Kim19 Sat 12-Feb-22 06:39:11

Disneyworld. Arrived early to a sparsely filled carpark. Came out to fields of cars later. Not a clue! Couldn't even remember the colour of our recently rented vehicle. Did the key release button. No flashers ( sadly!). Went back into the fun park and gave Cinderella many more hours of our time than planned. It was a very late night!

NotAGran55 Sat 12-Feb-22 07:25:07

Making yogurt.
Boiled 1.3 litres of milk watching to ensure it didn’t boil over.
Cooled to correct temperature.
Added powdered milk to thicken.
Added the new yoghurt starter.
Took to sink to strain it into the container just in case of minor spillages…
Forgot to put container underneath the strainer and the whole lot went down the sink!

CornflowerBlue Sat 12-Feb-22 07:29:55

We have a downstairs cloakroom off a room which in turn is off the lounge. As is our badly planned out house, the light for the room is in the lounge. I walked across the lounge to turn the light on in the room, then back again to open the door to go into the room, to find the light on in there, and immediately said, "who on earth last left this light on in here?" forgetting that I had just put it on myself! It wouldn't be so bad, but clearly my memory is not good, because I have done this numerous times now, even blaming my poor husband for this misdemeanour once!! Even now, it is always a shock when I open the door to find the light already on, but at least I then remember I just put it on, myself. You'd think I'd be used to it after 12 years!!

Ali23 Sat 12-Feb-22 07:52:10

I have chuckled all the way through this thread. What a lovely start to the day!

tanith Sat 12-Feb-22 08:08:56

Just yesterday I was making a sausage casserole I put the top oven grill on to brown the sausages then remembered I needed to fry the onions so I got out a frying pan to lightly fry them. 5 mins later couldn’t understand the smoke and burning smell opened up the back door but it got worse then realised I’d left the grill turned on with the door shut. I quickly opened the top oven door picked up the tea towel to grab the grill pan out and of course it was was red hot and the whole lot dropped on the kitchen floor upside down grease from the bacon I’d cooked the day before and all.

Katyj Sat 12-Feb-22 08:43:06

I put my spare shoes on the roof of the car then put my other bags in the boot and drove away. It wasn’t until the car behind me started flashing his lights at me that I pulled over, luckily they were still there.

Witzend Sat 12-Feb-22 08:45:58

Simmering a chicken carcass for stock, and then putting the colander over the sink to drain it…?

Coastpath Sat 12-Feb-22 09:49:04

When planning a theatre visit and I couldn't believe the bargain price I managed to get for a hotel room in London - £48!! On Monday I received an email from the hotel saying they were looking forward to me staying with them that evening. All well and good, but the show was on Tuesday.

After a quick call to the hotel I managed to rearrange for the Tuesday but had to pay an extra £70.

Yammy Sat 12-Feb-22 09:50:32

Severnsider

Put some eggs on to boil and forgot about them Two hours later - the pan boiled dry, the eggs had burst and splattered all over the kitchen, cooker top a disaster and the pan was a write off.

This one reminded me of something from 40+ years ago.
We moved and I was doing supply teaching. I was told to bring in a boiled egg for every child in the class to decorate for Easter.
I shopped on the way home and put 12 eggs on to boil. Later another 12. After doing other jobs, I put the last twelve on and sat down and watched T.V. and went to bed.
We got up to the most awful smell, not an egg in sight. Dh looked up there was fine cream dust all over the ceiling and the kitchen they had exploded. A ruined pan and cooker top. No smoke alarms in those days.
blush

Coastpath Sat 12-Feb-22 09:53:03

Not me, but my dad. He once put the kettle on to boil and then fell asleep. The steam made a huge patch of the plaster and lathe kitchen ceiling fall in. That woke him up!