Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Silly things we do

(60 Posts)
sandye Wed 21-Apr-21 17:31:42

Does anyone else find themselves doing silly things? I found myself drying my hands to put them back in a sink full of water to pull the plug.

midgey Sat 12-Feb-22 11:25:05

My mother put a whole ham in the twin tub to cook. She returned much much later to find the steam had brought the ceiling down!

ShazzaKanazza Sat 12-Feb-22 11:27:29

Oh these are just so funny to read???

ShazzaKanazza Sat 12-Feb-22 11:31:29

My lovely silly mum popped in a panty liner before going out for a ladies lunch cos she wets herself when she laughs only to find it later stuck on the end of her long woolly scarf when she was out.
??

grandtanteJE65 Sat 12-Feb-22 11:38:04

I put two bank notes in "a safe place" last spring, as the shopping trip I needed them for didn't come off.

I still have not found them - the safe place obviously wasn't where I thought it was.

Now wondering whether we spent that money on something that I have absolutely no recollection of.

Moral: stop putting things in safe places NOW before I get any older and more forgetful!

Jezra Thu 24-Feb-22 22:19:21

Long ago I used to work for a well known Bank. One morning my alarm clock went off. I grabbed it sleepily, held it to my ear and said,”Good morning, Bank of ——- how may I help you today?” much to the amusement of my DH.

Jezra Thu 24-Feb-22 22:24:53

Not one of mine but a story my old boss told me. She was going to the hospital for a smear test but was desperate for the toilet before going in to be seen. To her shock after doing the toilet she discovered there was no toilet paper so she wiped herself with a tissue she found in her pocket.
However, the male Dr burst out laughing when he carried out her test and said,”Well that is the strangest place to keep your postage stamp Mrs ———!” She was mortified but saw the funny side realising it must have been sticking to the tissue!

Lexisgranny Thu 24-Feb-22 23:13:22

When out one very warm summer’s day wearing a rather costly pair of sunglasses. I stopped abruptly turned to face my husband and told him I had left them somewhere. We hurriedly retraced our steps and eventually stopped by a shop window for a breather. I caught a glimpse of my reflection, and realised I was wearing them - neither of us had noticed!

nandad Thu 24-Feb-22 23:32:20

This thread has really cheered me up.
Doesn’t make me feel quite so daft when earlier I was watching TV and one of the characters waved to a friend, and I waved back!

Ro60 Fri 25-Feb-22 00:21:25

Loved re-reading some of these - tears down my face ??

Just 4 years ago my friend & I had a day out in Leicester - the next county to where we lived. Shopped, had lunch and finished off with a final snack - mainly to sit down before heading back to the car park.
For a change, her car was easy to spot - there, in the middle, a barrier across the entrance between us. Then we saw the sign saying "Closes at 7pm".
We went across the road to ahotel to consider our options so at least we were warm.
My friend had work early the next day.
I phoned another Very good friend who travelled 15 miles to pick us up, take us home & Friend 1 had to get her brother to help her collect the car at 7am the next morning.
Very good friend arrived with her husband, wound the window down "Get in" was all she said - we felt about 12yrs old ?

Fortunately, we're still on good terms. Maybe one day I'll be able to bail her out in return.