Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Do you ever argue with your siblings?

(47 Posts)
Curling Sun 29-Oct-23 18:13:53

I argue with my brother occasionally.

M0nica Sun 29-Oct-23 19:05:55

Now and again, but we are not a family for having big rows and being estranged.

vampirequeen Sun 29-Oct-23 19:35:45

My sister hasn't spoken to me for 10 years. I have no idea why. There was no big argument or even a small one. Suddenly she broke all contact.

Shelflife Sun 29-Oct-23 19:38:43

No we don't argue. We accept each others differences , keep in touch and look out for each other. We were not brought up in a family that argues.

kittylester Sun 29-Oct-23 19:47:08

Not really. My mum engineered my brothers not speaking to us for 6 years. But, we all cope with each other now she is not stirring things between us.

lixy Sun 29-Oct-23 20:43:08

Shelflife

No we don't argue. We accept each others differences , keep in touch and look out for each other. We were not brought up in a family that argues.

Same here.
I've only ever had one angry argument with a sibling; that was more than 30 years ago but I still feel churned up inside when I remember it even though we have been fine with each other ever since.

merlotgran Sun 29-Oct-23 21:06:25

I never argue with my brothers. Well, not since my younger brother was ten and I locked him in the downstairs loo because he wouldn’t tell me where he’d hidden my Beatles LP.

Norah Sun 29-Oct-23 21:20:33

Of course.

We're not the same person with the same opinions. We argue about all sort of things - daily, weekly. Doesn't mean a thing, we're still best friends.

I'm fairly certain he finds me as daft as I find him. Other siblings have passed, it was exactly the same with all of us.

Casdon Sun 29-Oct-23 21:34:45

It depends what you mean by argue. We are all opinionated and say what we think, but we’ve never fallen out in a serious way, the blood is definitely thicker than water in our family.

Auntieflo Mon 30-Oct-23 11:54:21

My brother and I used to argue when we were small. Probably my fault, as I was a bit bossy and he was a quiet little soul.
But, if one if us was told off, then we used to stick together like glue.

polnan Mon 30-Oct-23 12:33:16

I just do not understand anyone falling out, ie not speaking...

grandMattie Mon 30-Oct-23 12:33:55

No, never, because I no longer speak to them. This was a decision I took after my parents died, having been the victim of horrible bullying, to me and my children.

icanhandthemback Mon 30-Oct-23 12:40:04

I try not to argue with one of mine because it tends to be her way or the highway. I just bite my tongue although I think I might be getting to the stage where I'll have no tongue left!
My other sibling is not someone I have ever felt the need to argue with. We live very different lives but she's like me, she doesn't like confrontation so we rub along nicely but distantly. Both of us avoid arguments with the other one!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 30-Oct-23 12:55:39

No

Gundy Mon 30-Oct-23 13:31:02

I find it incredibly sad when families can’t get along - and some ultimately become estranged. I’ve never figured that part out why that happens.

I do understand arguing occasionally over something, but I come from a very small family - just my brother and I. We’ve never broken our closeness over anything.

I know people from larger sibling families that have actually split into two camps. Ouch! And stay that way for years, maybe forever?

While I understand everyone is an individual, blood is not necessarily thicker than water. I do recognize that once kids grow up, get married… spousal influence often comes into play. Here you start tip-toeing… and stay away from politics. 🙄
USA Gundy

cc Mon 30-Oct-23 13:32:42

icanhandthemback

I try not to argue with one of mine because it tends to be her way or the highway. I just bite my tongue although I think I might be getting to the stage where I'll have no tongue left!
My other sibling is not someone I have ever felt the need to argue with. We live very different lives but she's like me, she doesn't like confrontation so we rub along nicely but distantly. Both of us avoid arguments with the other one!

My sister sounds like the first you mention, there is no viewpoint to be considered other than hers. She always has to be right and even if I say we should agree to differ she'll start again. I just don't bother with her now, though I wouldn't refuse to see her or speak to her and we do exchange birthday and Christmas cards.
It's a shame, but she's very set in her ways.

ginny Mon 30-Oct-23 13:39:02

I just have one brother who is 5 1/2 years older than me.
We get on well and sometimes agree to disagree but have never had a big argument.

She777 Mon 30-Oct-23 13:39:31

As children we fought like cats and dogs. As adults I want a quiet life so allow them to walk all over me.

Norah Mon 30-Oct-23 13:42:23

Perhaps argue has many definitions.

My brother and I had arguments this morning about coffee beans and shops, I was correct, he was wrong. Conversation ended as always "Love you, when will you be round? Soon I hope."

jennymolly Mon 30-Oct-23 13:43:25

Eldest brother died years ago and in spite of having a horrendous wife, I and my other two siblings never rowed with him.
Younger brother lives in Canada and has developed very right wing and racist views so we have quite heated discussions via the Internet but never actually fall out. I've learnt to agree to disagree with him.
Sister much more comfortably off due to her husband being left a lot of money so travels,extensively and frequently and rubs it in! She has no filter and can be very insensitive and sometimes insulting. Usually I let it go but earlier this year as I recovered in hospital from three big operations, still very groggy, sister mentioned in a jokey way, one of her unkindnesses made previously to my lovely daughter in law and I emboldened by anesthetic told her I thought she was a bully and enjoyed belittling others. She stormed out of the hospital and didn't contact me for several months. I eventually contacted her and altho previously altercation not mentioned we are at least back in contact. Life is too short.

Gingster Mon 30-Oct-23 13:50:30

Never! My brothers are 10 and 8 years older than me, so there’s never been any competition . We love each other and see one another as much as possible. Always a pleasure.
My Dh and his sister however hardly ever speak , just a phone call once a year on birthday or Christmas. No bond between them whatsoever, just nothing in common.Very sad.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 30-Oct-23 14:05:56

There is only 16 months between my elder brother and I. We used to fight constantly until we were 15/16 and not had a cross word since. We don’t see much of each other but will always help each other out if needed .
My other brother is 8 years younger than me and we never fallen out with each other .

Summerfly Mon 30-Oct-23 14:08:57

Yes. I have been estranged from my brother for 15yrs. It initially broke my heart, but I’ve learned to live with it. He tried to make amends, but unfortunately, for me, there’s no way back. So very sad. 😞

Treetops05 Mon 30-Oct-23 14:15:54

Oh yes, meteorically.

libra10 Mon 30-Oct-23 14:18:32

These days my brothers and I never argue, and see each other regularly.

Though when we were children, my brother and I were having an argument, resulting in me going too far and deciding I had better get out quick.

I got on my bike and spotted my brother coming after me, so I sped out of the drive without looking, and was run over by a car.

I still bear the scars!