Gransnet forums

Health

Needing new glasses ?

(28 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 08-Mar-16 11:35:12

I have recently had dealings with
www.reglazemyglasses.com
and cannot praise them highly enough. You ask for a pack to send them a pair of frames which you do not need but are happy with and they replace the lenses with whatever prescription you send them . It must be a recent prescription . I just hate choosing new glasses so found this great and they cost a fraction of the price of glasses from my optician . I have distance glasses , reading glasses and sunglasses and had lots of frames which were no longer in use . They contact you when they receive you glasses with a price list for you to choose from regarding thin lenses scratch resistant lenses etc. You can see the prices on thier website. For spare pairs of glasses I refused all extras and with a discount got reglazed glasses with recorded delivery return for under £15. If you are not happy with the quote they just return you glasses and it has not cost you a penny.
If you use this code you get £10 off your first order " Cardref10 "
I have no axe to grind regading this company but they have been so good to me changing the tint on my sunglasses and more that I though it was worth a mention.

Franbern Tue 28-May-19 10:09:57

I am fairly new to having to wear glasses. Have used them for sometime for driving, but when I had my cataracts done - I discovered that for the first time in my life I now need glasses for reading, etc.
I have one pair of varyfocals, a pair of reading glasses and my driving (long distance) glasses.
I am still in total shock at the cost of these - I do use a high street optician - they are very good, but horrendously expensive.
It seems crazy to me - as I am on Pension Credit, I get most of my dental treatment without any extra payment, my hearing aids are supplied free of charge by my local audiology centre, yet have to pay out such large sums for my sight.
Indeed, I have now made up my mind that varyfocals are just a luxury too far for me, and will not have them updated after my next eye test (should they need to be done). Will keep reading glasses, distance glasses for driving and that will be it.
As my family have used this optician for some 40years I am reluctant to just ask for the prescription - and TBH, would not be sure what to do with that and where to go.
How much do people here pay for their varyfocals? - I do think mine are vastly overpriced.

M0nica Thu 23-May-19 16:43:31

But how can an online optician adjust your glasses to make sure the centre of focus is exactly where it should be and that they fit perfectly?. We all have different shaped faces and the frames lie differently on each.

Like Mumsy I go to an independent optician that I have been using for nearly 40 years. They are fantastic, every pair of glasses is tested on you before they are issued to make sure that the glasses are level, the focus is right and that the fit is perfect. Recently DH's glasses were sent back because there was a ver slight difference in the anti glare tint on each lens. A blind man would ahve been glad to see it.

Granny99 Wed 22-May-19 20:08:19

Ive been a customer of specsavers since 1998 ive always been well looked after. I think they are owned by the franchises. Maybe your experience with that particular store was not the best ive been to boots amd vision express just to expensive. So I can highly recommend specsavers in liverpool the Kirkby branch if anyone lives in liverpool Kirkby Shopping Centre, 21 St Chad's Parade, Liverpool L32 8R
www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/kirkby

Mumsy Sat 20-Aug-16 07:56:16

A lot of opticians dont let you use an old frame for new lenses in case the frames break whilst they are putting new lenses in. I have used both boots and specsavers and both have made errors in my prescription glasses, I now go to an independant opticians where the quality of service is excellent.

GandTea Sat 20-Aug-16 07:51:32

I have Zeiss Progressive lenses, they are so expensive, I would not risk using old frames. Most of my frames are getting tired by the time I need to update the prescription.

Boots will re-glaze, but you have to pay extra and don't get any discounts, so it it usually just as cheap to have new frames.

Liz46 Sat 20-Aug-16 07:38:23

Specsavers refused to give me new lenses for my favourite glasses (bought from them).

I went to Asda and was very satisfied with their service. The pricing is more transparent as they don't try to add things on.

zarajones032 Sat 20-Aug-16 04:19:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Stacy66 Wed 25-May-16 17:05:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lillie Fri 11-Mar-16 23:38:43

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I love choosing glasses and really look forward to it. I currently have four or five pairs on the go for different outfits/moods. I prefer the ones with the nose clips because they grip tighter, but these days the styles are all plastic and need tightening regularly.

Elegran Fri 11-Mar-16 23:20:17

Glasses Direct is another online firm who will reglaze frames, if we are quoting names. I think all opticians will do so if the frames are suitable.

Ana Fri 11-Mar-16 22:49:28

That's fair enough I agree, Elegran. There should have been an explanation.

Elegran Fri 11-Mar-16 22:37:46

With the Specsavers reframing refusal there could have been something about the old frames which would not fit the new lenses prescribed. With one prescription I had, there were fewer frames to choose from which were suitable for the lenses.

Ana Fri 11-Mar-16 22:22:33

Specsavers have always been willing to reglaze my old frames if my prescription has changed.

It seems strange that a big chain like that would have varying policies from shop to shop.

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 11-Mar-16 22:18:07

You don't bypass the eye test though. It is when you are given a new prescription that you need to incur the expense, and opticians must make a mint out of us!

baileyjones Fri 11-Mar-16 11:58:02

Don't we all hate choosing a pair of glasses. It is a tiresome job and it is not something any of us look forward too. Nevertheless, you shouldn't let them take you for granted or for a ride. Be careful and make sure you are not given a fake product.

Luckygirl Thu 10-Mar-16 22:38:17

I guess dispensing opticians might be concerned about loss of business; but I presume optometrists would practice separately from the dispensing branch, so hopefully all the necessary tests would still be available.

Floradora9 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:16:27

I asked Specsavers if they would reglaze the glasses that I had bought there but they refused to do so. There is no question of not having a recent eye test and using this service as they ask for a recent prescription. As I said in my original post I have no axe to grind here just thought others might appreciate the chance of this offer.
I felt my local Supersavers treated me like a little old lady and they knew better than me when I last visited them otherwise I would probably done what I usually do and go for their two for one offer and paid more and I hate choosing new glasses.

Jalima Wed 09-Mar-16 20:00:53

Especially as a test is free if you are over a certain age or have a parent who has or had glaucoma.

granjura Wed 09-Mar-16 18:34:19

Great but only if ...

too many people now buy on line and by-pass proper testing for field vision, glaucoma, diabetes damage, etc.

Luckygirl Wed 09-Mar-16 17:46:05

I have used several online glasses suppliers in the past, one of which (not the one quoted in OP) was happy to reglaze. IT is a very cheap way of getting glasses; and they manage complicated varifocal prescriptions with no problem.

Can't be worse than my local Specsavers - I will not bore you!

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 09-Mar-16 16:40:46

Oh right I understand.

ninathenana Wed 09-Mar-16 09:15:45

Because it gives a link to a specific company.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 09-Mar-16 00:58:37

Don't understand the other comments why would you possibly think this is advertising?

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 09-Mar-16 00:51:22

I think you did incredibly well, thank you for the tip.

I had an eye test yesterday at Boots and was quoted £100 to get new lenses put into old frames. That was bifocals with bog standard lenses. It was only £15 extra to get same lenses with brand new frames because of the 25% discount for over 60s, seemingly only available on new frames.

High Street opticians are notorious for their rip off prices!!

Charleygirl Tue 08-Mar-16 13:55:00

I think so and have alerted GNHQ.