Gransnet forums

Health

Needing new glasses ?

(27 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 08-Mar-16 11:35:12

I have recently had dealings with
www.reglazemyglasses.com
and cannot praise them highly enough. You ask for a pack to send them a pair of frames which you do not need but are happy with and they replace the lenses with whatever prescription you send them . It must be a recent prescription . I just hate choosing new glasses so found this great and they cost a fraction of the price of glasses from my optician . I have distance glasses , reading glasses and sunglasses and had lots of frames which were no longer in use . They contact you when they receive you glasses with a price list for you to choose from regarding thin lenses scratch resistant lenses etc. You can see the prices on thier website. For spare pairs of glasses I refused all extras and with a discount got reglazed glasses with recorded delivery return for under £15. If you are not happy with the quote they just return you glasses and it has not cost you a penny.
If you use this code you get £10 off your first order " Cardref10 "
I have no axe to grind regading this company but they have been so good to me changing the tint on my sunglasses and more that I though it was worth a mention.

ninathenana Tue 08-Mar-16 13:22:10

DH has had this done by Specsavers in the past. I think it's standard these days.
That's not to say you didn't get a good deal smile

Is this advertising?

Charleygirl Tue 08-Mar-16 13:55:00

I think so and have alerted GNHQ.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 09-Mar-16 00:51:22

I think you did incredibly well, thank you for the tip.

I had an eye test yesterday at Boots and was quoted £100 to get new lenses put into old frames. That was bifocals with bog standard lenses. It was only £15 extra to get same lenses with brand new frames because of the 25% discount for over 60s, seemingly only available on new frames.

High Street opticians are notorious for their rip off prices!!

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 09-Mar-16 00:58:37

Don't understand the other comments why would you possibly think this is advertising?

ninathenana Wed 09-Mar-16 09:15:45

Because it gives a link to a specific company.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 09-Mar-16 16:40:46

Oh right I understand.

Luckygirl Wed 09-Mar-16 17:46:05

I have used several online glasses suppliers in the past, one of which (not the one quoted in OP) was happy to reglaze. IT is a very cheap way of getting glasses; and they manage complicated varifocal prescriptions with no problem.

Can't be worse than my local Specsavers - I will not bore you!

granjura Wed 09-Mar-16 18:34:19

Great but only if ...

too many people now buy on line and by-pass proper testing for field vision, glaucoma, diabetes damage, etc.

Jalima Wed 09-Mar-16 20:00:53

Especially as a test is free if you are over a certain age or have a parent who has or had glaucoma.

Floradora9 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:16:27

I asked Specsavers if they would reglaze the glasses that I had bought there but they refused to do so. There is no question of not having a recent eye test and using this service as they ask for a recent prescription. As I said in my original post I have no axe to grind here just thought others might appreciate the chance of this offer.
I felt my local Supersavers treated me like a little old lady and they knew better than me when I last visited them otherwise I would probably done what I usually do and go for their two for one offer and paid more and I hate choosing new glasses.

Luckygirl Thu 10-Mar-16 22:38:17

I guess dispensing opticians might be concerned about loss of business; but I presume optometrists would practice separately from the dispensing branch, so hopefully all the necessary tests would still be available.

baileyjones Fri 11-Mar-16 11:58:02

Don't we all hate choosing a pair of glasses. It is a tiresome job and it is not something any of us look forward too. Nevertheless, you shouldn't let them take you for granted or for a ride. Be careful and make sure you are not given a fake product.

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 11-Mar-16 22:18:07

You don't bypass the eye test though. It is when you are given a new prescription that you need to incur the expense, and opticians must make a mint out of us!

Ana Fri 11-Mar-16 22:22:33

Specsavers have always been willing to reglaze my old frames if my prescription has changed.

It seems strange that a big chain like that would have varying policies from shop to shop.

Elegran Fri 11-Mar-16 22:37:46

With the Specsavers reframing refusal there could have been something about the old frames which would not fit the new lenses prescribed. With one prescription I had, there were fewer frames to choose from which were suitable for the lenses.

Ana Fri 11-Mar-16 22:49:28

That's fair enough I agree, Elegran. There should have been an explanation.

Elegran Fri 11-Mar-16 23:20:17

Glasses Direct is another online firm who will reglaze frames, if we are quoting names. I think all opticians will do so if the frames are suitable.

Lillie Fri 11-Mar-16 23:38:43

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I love choosing glasses and really look forward to it. I currently have four or five pairs on the go for different outfits/moods. I prefer the ones with the nose clips because they grip tighter, but these days the styles are all plastic and need tightening regularly.

Stacy66 Wed 25-May-16 17:05:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

zarajones032 Sat 20-Aug-16 04:19:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Liz46 Sat 20-Aug-16 07:38:23

Specsavers refused to give me new lenses for my favourite glasses (bought from them).

I went to Asda and was very satisfied with their service. The pricing is more transparent as they don't try to add things on.

GandTea Sat 20-Aug-16 07:51:32

I have Zeiss Progressive lenses, they are so expensive, I would not risk using old frames. Most of my frames are getting tired by the time I need to update the prescription.

Boots will re-glaze, but you have to pay extra and don't get any discounts, so it it usually just as cheap to have new frames.

Mumsy Sat 20-Aug-16 07:56:16

A lot of opticians dont let you use an old frame for new lenses in case the frames break whilst they are putting new lenses in. I have used both boots and specsavers and both have made errors in my prescription glasses, I now go to an independant opticians where the quality of service is excellent.

Granny99 Wed 22-May-19 20:08:19

Ive been a customer of specsavers since 1998 ive always been well looked after. I think they are owned by the franchises. Maybe your experience with that particular store was not the best ive been to boots amd vision express just to expensive. So I can highly recommend specsavers in liverpool the Kirkby branch if anyone lives in liverpool Kirkby Shopping Centre, 21 St Chad's Parade, Liverpool L32 8R
www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/kirkby