Gransnet forums

Health

Glucosamine works . Agree or Disagree?

(41 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:44:46

Having just read the vitamin thread, I was surprised that some GNers did not think that Glucosamine worked
My DH has been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin for elbow joint pain for about 3yrs.
He had a break for a few weeks but started taking it again when the pain became unbearable.
My BiL takes G & C for knee pain caused by jumping in & out of a lorry cab. (He says that as long as he takes it daily he is in no pain)
I know of two people who have taken Glucosamine whilst waiting on hip operations
As for myself I took Glucosamine Chondroitin for ankle pain
It helped me considerably.

So I say Glucosamine works

Anya Fri 27-Jan-17 15:34:04

I thought this from Arthritis Reseach UK was worth a look.

Jalima Fri 27-Jan-17 16:06:43

I find that glucosamine makes me worse.
It may be because I have a slight allergy to shellfish (not dangerously so but eating prawns can bring me out in itchy lumps)

Anyone with a shellfish allergy should avoid glucosamine.

tanith Fri 27-Jan-17 16:49:44

Jalima I had no idea about the shellfish link it didn't seem to affect me while I was taking it thank goodness.

BlueBelle Fri 27-Jan-17 16:55:18

Nannyandgrampy my mum who had lots of arthritis took green lipped mussel and swore it helped a lot I now have her arthritisy joints the price has put me off trying it Mind you I ve just wasted £7 on Volterol12 which has had no effect at all so I ought to give it a go

Jalima Fri 27-Jan-17 16:56:34

I suppose green lipped mussels could be the same then hmm

Top comes the extract from chillies?

Iam64 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:42:28

I suspect Nellie is right in saying so much of it is down to individual responses, as it is to more orthodox medicines. I wear one of those magnet type bangles and do feel it helps. Friends use the collars on their old dogs/horses and swear by it. Same with turmeric and G and C. (not G and T, even though it's Friday)

Menopaws Fri 27-Jan-17 18:48:20

Definitely works but get good brand like solgar, it has to be a good brand and a good strength

Azie09 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:10:35

Someone on GN recommended a product called Joint Assure, sold by Boots that contains glucosamine and chondroitin was well as vitamin C etc. I've found it very helpful for my knees.

Menopaws Sat 28-Jan-17 07:30:01

I took it for knees and it was brilliant, it was powders given to racehorses so I can now run faster than red rum!

Anya Sat 28-Jan-17 08:26:22

I should hope so! Red Rum's been dead for years.

Teetime Sat 28-Jan-17 10:45:51

My SIL was a biochemist at the MRC Bone Research Lab in Cambridge for a number of years studying arthritis and osteoporosis. One of their research projects focused on the effects of Glucosamine -0 results - no evidence of any measurable benefits.

goose1964 Sat 28-Jan-17 10:53:16

I was reading up on this and medical trials have both proved it works and that it doesn't. There are 2 types and it seems one helps and the other doesn't

Jane10 Sat 28-Jan-17 13:31:52

It was the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin in the optimal doses that the Mayo clinic doctor said worked. Neither on their own was much use.

Anya Sat 28-Jan-17 15:38:25

I've been doing a bit of research. It seems that not all supplements contain the amount stated, in fact the majority don't. There has been more promising results for knees than for hips. And many vets think they are worth trying on cats ? and dogs ?.

RobertReny Thu 16-May-19 10:50:01

I’ve been taking Glucosamine for joint pain and it has been is really helpful for my right knee. It is a proven supplement for joint pain. Not only osteoarthritis, Glucosamine also lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Source - www.myhealthyclick.com/glucosamine-supplements-may-reduce-risk-of-cardiovascular-disease/