Gransnet forums

Health

Zigzags in front of eyes

(55 Posts)
Ellie Anne Mon 08-May-17 18:32:31

Last night I started seeing zig zags in front of my eyes. I couldn't read properly. No headache or other symptoms. After 10/15 minutes it went away.
It may not be connected but a few weeks ago the pictures on the wall started moving about. This stopped after a few minutes.

Luckygirl Mon 08-May-17 18:45:43

See the doc - could be migraine; could be something worse. Ask the GP - he/she is the expert! - not us!

Ellie Anne Mon 08-May-17 18:53:12

Just wondered if anyone else had had it.

Christinefrance Mon 08-May-17 19:01:36

Yes my husband has something similar with optical disturbance. It's a form of migraine as he gets the headache later though not always. He has found bright sunlight exacerbates it and wears sunglasses now when its bright. Sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. Get it checked out by your Dr or an ophthalmologist.

wildswan16 Mon 08-May-17 19:07:21

I get this occasionally. I checked it out with my GP the first time and he reassured me that it was not "dangerous" in any way. It is a kind of ocular migraine and usually lasts about 15 minutes or so before it wears off. It is a bit scary the first time, and if you are driving at the time then please stop ! I have only had about five or six episodes over the last ten years. Never been able to discover whether anything in particular sets them off. Never have a headache before or after.

If you haven't already then I would mention it to your doc so that he can reassure you.

KatyK Mon 08-May-17 19:09:45

It sounds like migraine. My DD has suffered terribly with this since she was a child. See your GP is the best advice.

Izabella Mon 08-May-17 19:13:19

Agree. But you still need to see GP to exclude other things.

My OH has this a couple of times a year.

MamaCaz Mon 08-May-17 19:16:07

Almost definitely migraine. I had it a lot, and headaches and nausia would follow, but I remember my dad had the zigzags without any other symptoms over a number of years.

suzied Mon 08-May-17 19:17:14

It could be damage / tear to the retina. 90% of the time this will repair itself, but sometimes it need an operation. Get it checked out.

Treebee Mon 08-May-17 19:20:05

I get zig zag disturbance migraines sometimes. There's no headache but they last up to half an hour, sometimes developing a black hole in my vision. Bright light is my trigger. My last migraine was caused by driving past a stationary ambulance! These are nothing to be concerned about.
But last year I had zig zags that stayed, in fact they've only just stopped. Then I got a black feathery floater in one eye. Specsavers did an eye test which I had to pay for as I'd only just had my regular free test. They referred me to the hospital where I was seen three days later.
The diagnosis is vitreous separation and my sight is almost back to how it was.
So see your gp or optician if you're worried.

Suki70 Mon 08-May-17 19:23:53

I've had these quite frequently for about twelve years, starting in one eye, then moving to the other, sometimes with no after effects, other times followed by a headache and nausea. The first time, I went to my GP who sent me straight away to an optician. She said it was'classic migraine' and told me to just "enjoy the pretty lights"! I've realised it's triggered by tiredness and bright light, so wear sunglasses when it's sunny. Best to discuss it with your GP.

SueDonim Mon 08-May-17 19:26:05

It sounds like migraine aura, which may or may not be superseded by the headache etc.

If it's a new symptom for you, then do see a doctor, just to be on the safe side.

Luckygirl Mon 08-May-17 20:01:59

I have had both migraine aura and a torn retina - the former does not require immediate treatment, the latter does - hence my suggestion that you should visit the GP.

Wilma65 Mon 08-May-17 20:03:07

Yes I get this. I've had it three times since yesterday morning. I don't always get much of a headache

Ellie Anne Mon 08-May-17 20:32:28

Thank you all. I will make appointment with optician just to be safe.

Auntieflo Mon 08-May-17 20:40:26

I also get this at odd times. I didn't realise it was reasonably common, just wish I had been a GN member years ago when it started, and then I may have learned about it. I was working when it first happened, and had a ' hole' in my vision as well as the halo of lights. As I didn't have headaches, it took a while to realise it was a migraine. I do find a lie down helps it go faster.

vampirequeen Mon 08-May-17 21:08:45

Def see your GP but sounds like the zigzag lines I get with migraine.

Anya Mon 08-May-17 21:35:33

I get these occasionally and as others have said it's an optical migraine. GP said nothing to worry about.

Suki70 Mon 08-May-17 21:45:41

AuntieFlo I had exactly the same experience as you the first time I had this. I was looking at a child who appeared to have a black hole in her face, then the yellow zigzags came. I mentioned it to someone in the staff room who happened to also have migraine and she explained what it was, otherwise I would have been very alarmed.

gillybob Mon 08-May-17 22:20:02

Yes EllieAnne I have had it. Mine start with a small saw blade zig zag and gradually get bigger and bigger until they fill my whole line of vision. No headache as such just a feeling of being a bit woozy and dizzy. I see them whether my eyes are open or closed. I find that they come more often if I have seen a bright light or accidentally looked at the sun or a light fitting. I already see a Neurologist for another health problem and have had two MRI's recently so I know mine is classical migraine usually brought on by a stressful episode. If it is the first time you have suffered such an episode best get it checked out by your GP though. It's really horrible, you have my absolute sympathy.

rosesarered Mon 08-May-17 22:51:35

Yes, had this twice, saw the GP and she said nothing to worry about, they are called silent migraines.They don't last long, and best to sit quietly with eyes closed.

rosesarered Mon 08-May-17 22:53:23

Both times were caused by going from the dimness inside the house into bright sunlight.

Eloethan Mon 08-May-17 23:37:52

My friend was talking about this the other day. She said she gets visual disturbance with what looks like lightning but no other symptoms. She said she had been told that it was a form of migraine. I was a bit sceptical because I used to get migraine (touch wood, not so often now) and it is horrendously painful.

So, having read this thread, I see that I was wrong - you can just get the visual disturbance.

SueDonim Tue 09-May-17 00:21:00

Lots of info about migraine here. www.migraine.org.uk

Mapleleaf Tue 09-May-17 08:16:29

I'm glad you are going to see your optician, Ellie Anne. Our eyes are precious. He/she will be able to advise if you need to see your GP.