Gransnet forums

Health

Chronic illness and daughter's expectations of me!

(47 Posts)
sunnym Thu 03-Aug-17 12:39:06

Hi everyone

I am new to Gransnet so please let me know if this post is in the right place or not!

I had to take early retirement a number of years ago due to ill health.

For a lot of the time I ended up looking after my grandsons who were babies back then, through till picking them up from school etc. They thought I was the best grandma ever!

Fast forward to 2015 and the grandsons are in secondary school so I no longer pick them up from school or see them on a regular basis. I understand they have lots of things they are doing now that they are teenagers.

I also found out in early 2016 that I had an incurable brain problem which has been the major cause of my ill health and the cause of my rapid hearing loss.

I also have a muscle disorder that was diagnosed just previous to my early retirement. So the 2 problems have reduced my quality of life considerably and I have to use a wheelchair to get out of the house.
I spent most of 2016 attending hospital of tests, apps, treatments etc.

I told my daughter that I could no longer have my grandsons stay over night but they could come over for the afternoons because by this time I could no longer get dressed, shower or make food for myself and I was in a major relapse.
As expected she did not take this well because it interfered with her and husband's busy social life.

I did not see my grandsons for 5months, but this is not a new issue and has been used many times in the past as her way of punishing me for not bending to her every whim!

Up until the last 18months I had always done everything I could to help her but now that I have told her I need time to take care of myself instead of being understanding she has taken to being verbally abusive. She has always had a very short temper.

I have explained to her that I need to have a life for myself and try and get out with my friends(who have still stuck by me through all this). I went on holiday in 2013 for one week(my friends looked after me). Daughter was really angry because it took me weeks to recover!

I have been telling her for years that I have a right to have a life as well(albeit not a very healthy one at the moment) but she does not agree. She thinks I should spend all my energy being a grandma.

Does anyone else have this type of problem or has anyone got any advice?!
Thanks for reading and sorry it's a long post

Christinefrance Thu 03-Aug-17 12:59:26

So sorry to hear about your health problems sunnym life must be hard for you at the moment.
I think you have given your daughter every opportunity to adapt to your changed circumstances, now it's time to think of yourself, organise some help, see what is out there for people in your position. There must be others out there who can offer support. You can keep in touch with your grandsons by e-mail and Skype but don't let your daughter's attitude spoil your life any more.

sunnym Thu 03-Aug-17 13:11:24

Hi ChristineFrance
Thank you so much for your message. I really appreciate it.
I agree with you entirely and I have been putting things in place to help me.
I have a cleaner, and 3 fantastic friends who have accepted my situation and area really helpful.
We are planning a holiday for next year where they take me in my wheelchair and that is my goal.
I do keep in contact with grandsons via FaceTime and iMessage(iPad). They are actually really understanding about it as they have only known me like this.

rosesarered Thu 03-Aug-17 13:39:40

Hi Sunnym,
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.?
I cannot say what I would like to say about your uncaring daughter!
Make the time for yourself and your friends who have some understanding and compassion.

sunnym Thu 03-Aug-17 13:59:07

Hi rosesarered!
Thank you for your lovely message and taking the time to reply!
I agree I am going to make the time for me and my friends.
I have just turned 60 so I am still young in my head and I know that if I take the time to care for me i have a good chance of some improvement.

BlueBelle Thu 03-Aug-17 14:16:56

Sunny what a shame you are not getting the same level of care from your family that you have so freely given over the years some people just get very tied up in their own lives and get selfish to boot
Do have your holiday and enjoy some time with your friends and do keep your relationship with the lads on course Is there anyone in the family who can talk to the daughter and let her know just how poorly you have been and how she needs to now put your needs if not before her own at least more than she is doing
Lots of love and some ?

nanaK54 Thu 03-Aug-17 14:22:55

What a sad, sad situation for you flowers your daughter needs her backside kicking in my humble opinion

HildaW Thu 03-Aug-17 14:57:32

I get so mad when anyone be it Grandparent/grown child or even the grandchild themselves, feel they can dictate the terms of those roles. Its all about a mutually agreeable relationship. There are no hard and fast rules, no 'job descriptions'. Sometimes a Grandparent feels they are not called upon enough and sometimes the grown-child seems to feel threatened and defensive. Sometimes its more like this OP where the grown-child sees their own parent as a free childcare provider and open ended support system.
Relationships are such nebulous things, they need careful nurturing and a whole lot of respect (that just might need to be earned).
Sunnym, you can only do what you can and no more. It does not stop you loving your children and grandchildren so do not feel guilty. Offer what you can and then just reiterate your health limitations, smile and leave them to it. All the best.

Nanabilly Thu 03-Aug-17 15:54:14

Oh my word you lot make me feel so lucky ,I really do feel sad for you when I read posts like this one . They make me count my blessings every single time I read them .
I can't offer any advice apart from make yourself number one and take care of yourself . Some people are just so selfish .

BBbevan Thu 03-Aug-17 16:32:18

Sit your DD down and tell her exactly how it is. Hopefully she will then step up to the plate ( as they say ) If not you must concentrate on yourself. Good luck.

sunnym Thu 03-Aug-17 17:36:53

Hi everyone
Just a quick note to say Thank you for taking the time to reply and I really appreciate all your comments and advice. They are very much appreciated flowers

Cherrytree59 Thu 03-Aug-17 18:10:22

Hello sunnym you sound lovely caring mother and grandmother.
Do you have another family member or close family friend that you could ask to speak to your daughter and explain your Heath issues and how it debilitates you .
I am pleased that you will have a holiday to look forward to.
You must try to have quality time to yourself

flowers so sorry for the predicament you now find yourself in .

rafichagran Thu 03-Aug-17 20:49:38

Agree with Roses on this one. Keep face timing your Grandsons, and get out there and have a life for yourself with your lovely understanding loyal friends.
Enjoy that holiday when you go, it will do you good. I wish you well.

Shazmo24 Fri 04-Aug-17 10:24:37

What a selfish daughter you have..It's all about her and has no thought about you at all...its great that you have contact with your Grandson's and they sound more understanding than their mother is....you need to take care of you, enjoy your time and hold a with your friends

barbaralynne Fri 04-Aug-17 10:38:26

Hello Sunnym. It's good to meet you. I too shared this sort of treatment from 2 of my daughters after having cancer treatment. I was criticised extensively for not helping - we live 7hrs by car away from one and 4hrs by car from the other.

All I can say is keep being yourself. You sound a lovely caring person. Eventually my daughters have both calmed down and now are grateful for what we can do - but it has taken a few years.

You only have one life, so do those things that you want to do, can do and enjoy doing and, in my experience, friends are so lovely we need to value them! Much love to you!

Jaycee5 Fri 04-Aug-17 10:40:19

Don't let it spoil the time you spend with your friends. Friends like that are like gold dust.
I wouldn't try to address it with your daughter as I have learnt from experience with family that you just then have to deal with the denial on top. I think you know what response you are likely to get and you have explained the situation.
Hopefully your grandchildren will soon be at the age when they will be able to make their own decision to visit you. Obviously some are better at this than others and if they don't it won't necessarily mean they don't care.

Ellie13 Fri 04-Aug-17 10:44:53

Your daughter is lucky to have such a caring mother, you have done enough, enjoy taking time for yourself x

radicalnan Fri 04-Aug-17 10:48:53

I am so glad that you have friends and a cleaner, you need some proper looking after, and lots of enjoyment.

Keep the contacts going with the GC but your daughter sounds like a selfish person and if she is not prepared to support you when you need help, I would just let contact with her dwindle to the bare minimum.

You have to make your own happiness in this life nd if she won't help with that, make it for yourself. I do so think that a decent cleaner is money well spent when energies are low.

VIOLETTE Fri 04-Aug-17 10:51:36

Hard as it is, you must make time for yourself ..it seems you have given all you can for your daughter ..as an adult she should understand you now need to look after yourself, which doesn't mean cutting everything out entirely ....sadly I read about these circumstances so often I don't feel entirely bad that my own daughter has cut me off now for ten years ...at least I don't have the problems that many of my friends have in relation to childcare and other things not being appreciated or reciprocated in time for the grandparent ! flowers

PamelaJ1 Fri 04-Aug-17 11:04:00

I agree with all of the above.
So sorry you are having such a difficult time. Hope it gets better and you begin to enjoy life more.?

50ShadesofGreyMatter Fri 04-Aug-17 11:08:29

Jeez what a selfish brat your daughter is! So ironic that she wants time for her and her husband to have a social life but can't see that you are more than entitled to your own angry

Teddy123 Fri 04-Aug-17 11:28:16

I can't offer a solution. Simply wanted to say how sorry I am that you have become unwell and that your daughter seems unable to understand. Look after yourself and keep up contact with your friends x

shirleym Fri 04-Aug-17 11:42:48

I think your message " if l take some time for me l have a good chance of improvement " , excuse me if l got it wrong , says it all really. Hope you get the time to look after yourself and enjoy your friends who sound great . I'm sure your daughter and grandchildren realise how much you love them, you sound an amazing lady??

SparklyGrandma Fri 04-Aug-17 13:36:40

sunnym so sorry to hear that your health is affected and good to hear that you have wonderful supportive friends.

You say some things that might mean you have help from Social Services? Do you have a social worker - if so, you may be able to ask them if they could speak with your daughter about her behaviour.

Under Safeguarding guidelines, it is not ok to bully a disabled relative, nor to exclude them just because they are ill or disabled. Or to put pressure on them or their resources.

Good luck.

GrandmaMoira Fri 04-Aug-17 13:41:36

I'm sorry you have these serious health problems. I think a lot of adult children expect us to base our lives around giving free childcare but this is usually when we are quite fit and well. I am quite shocked at your daughter's attitude given your health. You need to look after yourself and I'm sure your grandsons will stay in touch.