Gransnet forums

Health

Acid reflux

(145 Posts)
shysal Fri 01-Sep-17 16:42:18

I have been suffering from this recently. I fear it is due to falling off the low carb wagon and eating too much bread. I was interested to read on the low carb support thread that carbs are thought to cause reflux.
How do others manage this problem? My GP suggested eating little and often (rather than my usual lots and often!) and taking Gaviscon. She thinks the irritating cough I thought was due to blood pressure meds was probably through soreness from the acid.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

hildajenniJ Fri 01-Sep-17 17:46:43

Oh,so that's why I sometimes have a cough, an sometimes don't! I hadn't connected the two. My acid reflux had nothing to do with carbs though. It's tomatoes and onions. I try hard to avoid them where possible.

hildajenniJ Fri 01-Sep-17 17:47:50

Sorry shysal that wasn't really helpful for you. I'm afraid I have no suggestions.

annsixty Fri 01-Sep-17 17:56:49

I have this for a few years now sal I was being kept awake with the awful choking feeling and having to sit upright.
As soon as my GP put me on Lansoprazole it was like a miracle.
I had a gastroscopy which showed a large hiatus hernia.
Nothing I eat seems particularly to trigger it, anything can.
I do know wine and citrus fruits do but I am not giving up the wine!!
I take Gaviscon advance at night and do have that irritating cough which I was told is a common symptom.

norose4 Fri 01-Sep-17 18:05:49

Been on omeprazol tablets for years, would be unbearable with out them. Eating certain things makes it worse , so try to work out which foods affect you the most & cut them out or reduce the amount

Welshwife Fri 01-Sep-17 18:23:50

I am another sufferer ! I take Gaviscon and do now watch what I eat. I have read that Blood Pressure meds can be a cause of reflux and I take quite a lot of those meds. I do find that too large a meal can also be a trigger. Recently I have eaten very little in the way of any carbohydrate and I have been better. I am eating a lot less - although not losing weight which is really annoying and the smaller meals do seem to help.
I find that a really good wine of any colour or a decent champagne do not cause reflux whereas a normal run of the mill wine will do so even if only a very small amount.
Citrus is another culprit whether as fruit or a squash or syrup drink.
I am still far from free of the problem but these are just some of the things which seem to help me.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 20:08:09

Cooked cheese is, sadly, a real trigger for my indigestion, heartburn, pain and everything else. I have a sliding hiatus hernia. It feels like it will slide out of my chest when its bad.

M0nica Fri 01-Sep-17 20:49:21

I had acid reflux, not badly enough to need a prescription, but it has almost cleared up completely since I lost weight. I lost 2 stone in all but the acid reflux went after I had lost about 10 lbs.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 20:53:39

I can keep mine at bay by eating healthily, fairly bland food. I always intend to, at the start of the day, but by lunchtime I'm faltering.

grannyticktock Fri 01-Sep-17 21:24:18

You're not taking any kind of food supplements in tablet form, are you? I have found that some of these, even if taken at breakfast time, can lead to reflux or ulcer-like symptoms at night.

Anya Fri 01-Sep-17 22:08:44

Of course sugar is a carbohydrate too, so it makes sense that fruit juices, squashes etc will trigger your heartburn WW

My SiL always said it was spicy foods like curry that started hers off, but she's beginning to think it's the rice since I serve her a curry with riced cauliflower and she was fine.

I think if you have a hiatus hernia that in itself can cause acid reflux MissA sad

Anya Fri 01-Sep-17 22:12:31

shysal try to,avoid eating anything after 7.00pm at night and leave breakfast as long as posdible eg 9.00 or even 10.00am.

Try this for a week and see if it helps.

This is a kind of fasting and can give your digestive system a bit of a break. Allow yourself a cup of tea at night and in the morning though.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 22:14:23

I didn't know that, Anya. It might explain why I have trouble when I'm sure I've not eaten too badly, then.

Anya Fri 01-Sep-17 22:19:02

And never bend over e.g. to do gardening, cleaning, exercises such as downward-dog, if you've just eaten MissA - that will certainly make things much worse. Give it a couple hours at least.

Anya Fri 01-Sep-17 22:21:18

Check out this link MissA

Hiatus Hernia and Acid Reflux

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 22:23:12

Luckily there's not too much chance of that, Anya. smile
I used to find night shifts with the cleaning involved were terrible! Mopping the floors made me almost sick, literally.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Sep-17 22:24:27

Oh thanks! I'll go and have a look on that link now. You would think I might have researched before now. I think I'm still in denial!

Welshwife Fri 01-Sep-17 22:27:50

Nothing to do with sugar in my case Anya as I can have it fine in other fruits and things - it is definitely the acid in citrus - I first realised years ago when I had it almost instantaneously after drinking pressed orange juice. Until recently I was fine with lemon in squash/syrup form diluted with water but recently I have come to realise it affects me.

Farmor15 Sat 02-Sep-17 00:21:21

I've had acid reflux for years and carry Rennies with me everywhere. Bread and pastry are definitely a trigger but I can get after any kind of food. I had a gastroscopy a couple of years ago and was diagnosed with hiatus hernia. I was prescribed lanzoprazole and it seemed like a miracle cure. Then I got side effects- mainly diarrhoea. I then read that it interferes with calcium absorption so increases risk of osteoporosis!
Now I manage my reflux with a mix of ranitidine (Zantac), rennies (I suck one as I'm lying down to sleep) and occasionally pantoprazole or similar. I also avoid eating or drinking late.
If I get an attack of acid reflux, I'll take a rennie to relieve immediate symptoms then ranitidine a while after. It takes about 30 min to take effect but then works for about 12 hours.

NfkDumpling Sat 02-Sep-17 07:31:48

I'm an echo of you Farmor. I too carry Rennies everywhere as I didn't like the effect Lanzoprazole had. Bread and cake is a big trigger but I've found that 'proper' bread and cake from small local bread shops is fine. It doesn't have all the addatives and extra raising agents of processed, packeted bread or cake. I find the raising agents continue to rise in my stomach. (Muffins are definitely out!). As it costs more I eat less of it too which helps!

Three small meals a day with two snacks in between manages the reflux most of the time though. It means my tum has something in it to absorb the acid but not enough to cause expansion and stress on the hiatus hernia.

Wine is a problem too. Red is a no-no, but I can drink white wine spritzer.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Sep-17 07:46:32

Having never suffered from indigestion of any sort, I started with acid reflux a couple of years back. The cause was very quickly diagnosed as helicopter pylori and just as quickly successfully treated by triple therapy, which involves taking a very high dosage of antibiotics and a protein pump inhibitor over the course of a week.

Unfortunately the symptoms came back over a year later. I was reluctant to have to take so many antibiotics again, so am very grateful that a dear friend advised trying a high dosage acidophilus capsule, which I bought from Holland & Barrett and which contains the same probiotics, in much higher quantities, as the yoghurt drinks I was guzzling. I can only say that these worked like a charm for me. I took them just once a day for a week and the symptoms went. I now just take them for a day or two if I feel any signs of indigestion coming on, which happens very rarely.

I hope this helps.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Sep-17 07:48:30

Helicobacter pylori! Ruddy auto correct! grin

Anya Sat 02-Sep-17 08:15:28

I wasn't saying fruits per se cause acid reflux WW but more fruit juicess especially orange. Like you I can't drink orange juice but I do find, oddly enough, a slice of lime or lemon in a glass of ginger tea stops my acid reflux immediately.

I rarely have any these days as I know my triggers and being low carb definitely helps. Actually Nfk that's very true about 'real' bread. I'm mainly low carb for DH's sake so occasionally I allow us a 'treat' and as I'd made homemade tuna pâté I bought a tiny artisan loaf to eat with it. Nothing!

So your point about raising agents is very interesting.

shysal Sat 02-Sep-17 08:23:08

Thank you everybody for your help. I will go back onto the low carb and only eat artisan bread when I fall off the wagon. I will also change my eating pattern and lose weight. I have been eating a lot of plums recently, don't think they are helping.
This has been the trigger I have needed to make me sort out my eating habits.

Anya Sat 02-Sep-17 08:31:47

Me too shysal this has been just the kick up the arse derrière I needed. I'll be back in more of a routine anyway wth school runs starting next week.