Gransnet forums

Health

Diabetes

(22 Posts)
Serkeen Sat 21-Oct-17 10:20:48

Hi everyone was wondering if any gransnetters that have diabetes, have managed it without medication and did it work?

Thank you

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 10:27:11

Can you live with fully diagnosed diabetes without insulin confused

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 10:29:00

www.diabetes.org.uk/

Nanabilly Sat 21-Oct-17 10:42:52

I'm wondering if this question has arisen from recent news about people who have completely reversed their diabetes diagnosis with a complete change of diet . It's drastic but is said to work but I suppose not everyone can do it.

tanith Sat 21-Oct-17 11:35:23

I lost 2stone earlier this year after my diagnosis and my blood sugar fell back within normal range. My Diabetic nurse said I should carry on with the Metformin for 3/4months to see if it stabilised there. It's keeping the weight off that's the difficulty. So hopefully when I go for a check in December I can stop the meds I just need to lose the 7lbs that's crept back on ? and not let it creep on again.

Charleygirl Sat 21-Oct-17 11:52:50

There are two types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2. One cannot survive without insulin if one has type 1 diabetes but type 2 on the whole, is diet controlled but some people are given drugs like Metformin as well.

BBbevan Sat 21-Oct-17 12:06:27

Yes , I was diagnosed with T2 in March 2016. I was mortified to say the least. I went on Michael Mosley " Reverse your Diabetes diet " In 3 months I had lost 2 and a half stone and my blood sugar was down from 7.6 to 5.7. I then went on the LCHF way of eating. My weight has stayed constant and my BS has dropped further. On my last visit to my GP, I was told I was no longer considered diabetic. But I still watch what I eat. I am not going there again. So it can be done. There is an excellent thread on GN about LCHF with great recipes and lots of support.

loopyloo Sat 21-Oct-17 12:57:40

Yes I was diagnosed with type 2 Nov 2016 have lost a bit of weight and am down to prediabetic levels.
It's the carbs that cause the trouble, lack of exercise and stress.
I still have 2 stone to lose, not easy but I am determined to do it.

Anya Sat 21-Oct-17 13:37:28

If you’ve only recently been diagnosed then there is a possibility it can be ‘reversed’. There is a lot of research and information on this, and a fair amount of expertise among some on here.

Loopy and others can tell you more...but you have to be prepared to really change your eating habits and move more.

ninathenana Sat 21-Oct-17 13:47:31

My friend has had bariatric surgery and lost 9stn.
She is stll on insulin for T2

ninathenana Sat 21-Oct-17 13:50:56

Charliegirl and some with T2 have Metformin and insulin and or Victosa

M0nica Sun 22-Oct-17 08:08:03

It rather depends on whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes and whether there are any life style changes you can make.

If you are overweight getting down to a normal weight can help. I had a very overweight friend who lost 8 stone and was able to stop all medication and just keep an eye on his diet, no eating packets of biscuits or drinking heavily. If you have a sweet tooth, curbing that can help.

But, if like another friend, you are wafer thin, have a good balanced diet and keep active and still need medication for your diabetes, then, no, there may not be much you can do to come off your medication.

Anya Sun 22-Oct-17 08:53:58

That sums it up nicely Monica

Jane10 Sun 22-Oct-17 09:17:59

Just trying to imagine how losing 8 or 9 stone must feel. Gosh. Well done those people who did it by making what must have been massive lifestyle changes.

ninathenana Sun 22-Oct-17 09:57:21

Jane10 my friend is actually gets quiet depressed about it sometimes because she cannot get surgery to remove an awful lot of excess skin and sort out very saggy boobs on the NHS and says she feels uglier than before and still has to be careful what she wears but for different reasons.

Jane10 Sun 22-Oct-17 10:01:58

Sorry to hear that ninathenana. At least she'll have done her heart and blood sugar a favour.

M0nica Sun 22-Oct-17 16:48:37

I would sooner have saggy boobs and excess skin and be fit and healthy than have all the problems, health and otherwise, that go with being 9 stone overweight.

Serkeen Sun 07-Jan-18 11:08:34

I have learnt quite a bit about this subject

Carbs are the enemy and that is because carbs elevate blood sugars so not complicated at all

Yes Diabetes can be reversed if you are able to bring your carb intake right down There are books to help, Dr Michael Mosley books are the best I would personally say a gransnetter pointed me to that fact also dietdoctor.com also very helpful

Serkeen Sun 07-Jan-18 11:14:25

The info I have supplied about diabetes is a result of my research.

I am still putting the theory to test and have faith n hope in it

Will update again

Caramac Sun 07-Jan-18 12:03:40

I was diagnosed T2 about 12 years ago, in my 40’s. I was not overweight. The very low calorie diet to control T2 has not been researched then
Over the following years I had increasing amounts of medication, some of which - my diabetes nurse told me - made me gain weight. Especially around my middle and despite being very active and running most days.
Last year I was prescribed a hunger control hormone which I inject once a week. I have 35 FEWER tablets a week. I have better blood sugar control and have lost just over a stone in weight. I still take metformin to stop my liver leaking but eating less and losing weight has definitely helped control my condition.

wildswan16 Sun 07-Jan-18 12:28:41

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/health/lothian-man-reverses-diabetes-after-taking-part-in-diet-trial-1-4654775

DanniRae Sun 07-Jan-18 13:34:05

I have a friend who has T2 diabetes and has to inject insulin every day. But she continues to eat sweet things and has a "sod it" attitude to her diet. This is because when she eats badly she feels no different and thinks she is getting away with it. However she has no idea what her bad diet is doing to her body and has no interest when her family or friends try to explain. Sad really I think.