Gransnet forums

Health

Trapped wind: causes, avoidance, cures. PLEASE

(36 Posts)
kittylester Sun 31-Dec-17 07:01:06

Guess who has been suffering with this over the last few days?

Any suggestions welcome. tchgrin

Fennel Sun 31-Dec-17 07:34:37

Oh dear, I know how it feels Kitty. I often have it.
I find if I walk a bit it gets things moving, or gently massage the spot where it's trapped. Try not to be near anyone when the gas is released!
As for the cause, could be certain foods, or not chewing enough, or even nervous tension. Just guessing.

Jane10 Sun 31-Dec-17 07:57:20

Terry Wogan always used to say that it's not the trapped wind you have to worry about- it's the one that gets away!!
Sorry you're suffering though.

Alima Sun 31-Dec-17 08:00:53

I find that Settlers help. Also chewing gum, not very ladylike but effective! Could always try drinking very fizzy, cold pop.

kittylester Sun 31-Dec-17 08:14:33

Doesn't fizzy pop add to the problem?

It's mostly coming up not down - iyswim!

Alima Sun 31-Dec-17 08:35:18

It has always helped me. I know trapped wind can be very painful, I don’t mind which end the release comes from. A huge great belch can be beneficial imo. Preferably when one is alone!

kittylester Sun 31-Dec-17 08:46:30

We are going to the theatre this afternoon. tchblush

annsixty Sun 31-Dec-17 09:02:12

I suffer from this a lot, I find stress makes it worse,.
I can't offer a solution to stop it happening but always carry Windeeze or Windsettlers in my handbag and by my bedside. It is very painful as I get the spasms. I do find drinking a can of Shweppes tonic water brings some relief.

NanaandGrampy Sun 31-Dec-17 09:04:28

let it go.....let it go........ :-)

sorry Kitty I have nothing in the least bit helpful to add but now I have the tune from Frozen stuck in my head :-) x

harrigran Sun 31-Dec-17 09:06:27

Peppermint capsules.
I usually rub my tum in a circular motion but as I don't have a bum the results are often a strange yodelling from the stoma blush
I know TMI, sorry.

bikergran Sun 31-Dec-17 09:20:03

kitty my dd suffers terribly from this, I have evn had to go and collect her from various functions because of it and could barely put the seat belt on.

Her solution (don't laugh) is to lie on the floor sort of in the cat position I think it is! on all fours. and sort of flop down on your elbows so that you "posterior" is stuck in the air, this app moves the wind along.....yes it is something to be done in private {hmm} but she has been know to go in a cupboard at work or the toilets to release it..
Although it may be an hilarious subject..to some it is very painfull..

NannyTee Sun 31-Dec-17 09:24:44

This pose is a yoga pose. It really works for the wind yes.

Elegran Sun 31-Dec-17 09:45:49

Remegel chewy things (the ones in the green packet, the blue packet is supposed to be for wind but makes no difference) or Gaviscon chewy tablets.

Anniebach Sun 31-Dec-17 10:00:28

If I did that yoga pose I would have to buzz for help to get up.

I haven't found anything to help yet, only affects my abdomen not stomach and only affects me in the middle of the night, so I have cup of tea, couple of rennie's and wait for it to calm down.

Flossie777 Sun 31-Dec-17 10:05:58

Peppermint tea, that will calm insides and take pain away

PamelaJ1 Sun 31-Dec-17 10:07:49

You can buy carbon lined underwear. It neutralises the smell apparently.
Just google those three words and you will have plenty of choice. Not sure if any of them do an emergency delivery service though.

TerriBull Sun 31-Dec-17 10:40:58

Trapped wind is no laughing matter can be quite painful. There is an over the counter pill, Buscopan, that worked quite well for me the couple of times I've suffered with it.

Nanabilly Sun 31-Dec-17 12:38:53

Definitely try peppermint tea. When I had my hysterectomy some years ago I was in a bay with 3 other women ,all of us suffering terrible pain with trapped wind, my hubby bought in some peppermint teabag and made all 4 of us a cup of it , within 30 minutes we could not stop laughing , we were burping and farting for England but all felt so much better afterwards.

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 13:13:56

Kittylester DD always maintains that we should not talk whilst we're eating - she says she swallows air if she does which causes very painful wind; she does have to stick to a gf diet and I'm not sure if that could cause wind?

Yes, peppermint is good or a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in warm water can release the wind - but find a quite spot after drinking it blush

midgey Sun 31-Dec-17 13:38:42

Warm water helps me, and walking....even round in circles will help.

Greyduster Sun 31-Dec-17 13:44:49

Peppermint, or an infusion of fresh ginger root (or ginger ale, at a pinch). Hope you feel better soon, kitty.

misswoosie Fri 05-Jan-18 12:20:54

agree with the yoga pose and massage. Doesn;t have to be on the floor. Lie on your stomach in bed and try and raise your bum slightly. Air is lighter so has a tendency to stick around the tummy button area when you're standing or sitting. I also find that buscopan helps as the wind aint gonna move anywhere if there's muscle spasm in the gut. Also try and avoid getting constipated.

Alexa Fri 05-Jan-18 12:59:23

I wonder if it's unreasonable to ask if a flatus tube might be used on oneself. Decades ago when I was a nurse the procedure was very simple and easy and often was effective. I expect these thin rubber tubes can be bought online. I know that some people cannot bear to introduce anything into their body cavities, but for a former nurse it's little more difficult than swallowing a pill.

Anyway, you generously lubricate the tube at the end with the little hole in it. You lie on your left side and put it into your anus about three inches, directing it towards the front, as that is the way the rectum slopes( rather like inserting a tampax angled slightly towards the front). We used to put the other end of the tube in a basin of water so we could check for the bubbles, but it's not necessary.

Now that there aren't enough district nurses, or even enough private nurses to hire by the hour from an agency, we should be taught how to care for ourselves when possible.

Alexa Fri 05-Jan-18 13:07:06

Annieback wrote that if she did that yoga pose(Kneeling bum in the air) she's not be able to get up. I wonder if doing the yoga pose , which is often effective, on top of one's bed would be easy to get up from. I suppose I could simply collapse on to my side, then rise from my bed in the usual way. Can any yoga poses be done on a soft mattress?

MamaCaz Fri 05-Jan-18 13:23:43

I have been product testing Innovo (the system for strengthening the pelvic floor), and have to say that that the electrical impulses from that seem to be very effective in releasing any wind that is present! As far as I am aware, the wind in question was never actually trapped, but should I suffer this in the near future I will see if Innov releases it.
I didn't mention this effect in my review, but nor did anyone else, so it might just be me blush