Gransnet forums

Health

Viral infection

(229 Posts)
tinaf1 Sun 31-Dec-17 17:09:56

Has anyone had / got this, started about 18th of this month with sore throat and just can't seem to shift awful cough and stuffed up nose and head ( feels like I am swimming under water) wake up with mouth like the bottom of a bird cage. Have been taking paracetamol etc but does anyone know how long it lasts

NannyTee Thu 18-Jan-18 15:38:08

Oh my DM is much brighter today. She's a lot more like her old self. I'm so happy ?

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 15:44:00

smile me too, NannyTee. Hopefully she'll soon be back to her old self. Lucky she has you to look after her wellbeing.

SueDonim Thu 18-Jan-18 15:59:21

That's great news, NannyTee!

I'm in the overdoing it category, too. I was out yesterday then today I drove about 20 miles for the first time since before Xmas. I came home and prepared something for the slow cooker and now my legs are wobbly!

I've also been coughing more and a drippy nose but I'm thinking that's just because it's become very cold again. At least, I hope it's nothing more.

NannyTee Thu 18-Jan-18 16:00:02

Ahh thanks MA. Couldn't have managed without my big Sis and DD chipping in too. My sister is 14 yrs older than me , she's the eldest then 3 brothers and I'm the youngest. The boys have been hopeless but DM won't have a bad word said about her boys haha. As long as she's happy that's all that matters x

NannyTee Thu 18-Jan-18 16:04:55

Thanks SueDonim. Don't push yourself too soon chuck. Don't want any set backs. Take care of yourself . Glad you've had a spurt though grin

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 18-Jan-18 22:51:31

That's great news NannyTee and a weight off your mind I'm sure.

My DH is still suffering a bit, but it's still not full blown. Fingers crossed.

Fresh flowers for those suffering. smile

NannyTee Fri 19-Jan-18 00:20:58

Thank-you Wilma. Best wishes for your DH too.

Candelle Fri 19-Jan-18 23:42:47

I am still suffering too and echo your endless coughing up phlegm, breathlessness (although mine is badly exacerbated by asthma) malaise and raised temperature. Oh, I have been through two courses of antibiotics and two of steroids, so this is a real bug*er!

I thought that some of you may be interested in joining a study by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine on the ‘flu.

This annual study incorporates a weekly one-minute ‘clicking on bullet-points’ to record one’s health or symptoms which in turn helps develop a map of ‘flu as it spreads through the UK.

It is interesting as when you join, you will be able to see the progression/incidences of ‘flu around the country, very very locally to your neighbourhood. It is updated every three minutes.

If you should be interested, you can find out more here:
flusurvey,org.uk

I hope it is OK to post this here. It is a pukka medical survey and may be of interest to G-Netters.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 20-Jan-18 00:51:00

That an interesting site Candelle. There's been 106 users reporting symptoms where I live (looks like it's done by the two letters at the start of your postcode). BTW there's a comma instead of a full stop in the link, so I'll post it again here. wink

flusurvey.org.uk

Sorry to hear how long you've been suffering, especially when you've been taking steriods. Are you due to see your doctor again? flowers

I'm definitely on the mend and feeling quite 'normal' in myself now. Still coughing too much, so my voice is still a croak and my ribs are sore and tender. But compared with the other week it's great.

Fresh flowers for those in need. smile

Candelle Sat 20-Jan-18 11:55:06

Many thanks WilmaKnickersfit for the correction. Never could type!

My illness is almost as regular as the new year. For the past five years it has come at exactly the same time, in the same manner. I did wonder this year just how much more my poor old battered lungs could actually take with the coughing up the gunk and have mused on decamping to warmer climes next year but that's a whole other decision.... Anyway, I can now breathe, talk and walk and managed to keep out of hospital, so I am going onward and upwards!

I am pleased to read that you are feeling better (and I can certainly emphasis regarding the ribs - ouch!) perhaps this illness will have made us stronger (she pulls a doubting face).

Thanks again for the kind edit, I do hope others find the link as I think it looks an interesting project - and I don't have any personal vested interest in the study.

merlotgran Sat 20-Jan-18 12:17:40

DH has actually got dressed this morning - first time since last Sunday when the 'flu came on so suddenly he didn't even finish lunch before heading for bead. He's still exhausted and has no appetite but fortunately drinking plenty of fruit juice and water.

The problem with looking after somebody who is really poorly when you're not really over it yourself is you still have all the other jobs to do as well. DD is helping with the chickens and DGS has stacked some logs outside the back door. I've told them Not To Come In! grin

The fridge is full of food which nobody feels like eating!!

Bathsheba Sat 20-Jan-18 17:02:29

I'm so sorry to see that many of you are still struggling with this wretched virus, or one of the many strains of flu around. We're all completely over it now, but no sooner was that all out the way than we all went down with a tummy bug sad. Is there no end to all these woes?
Ah well, only 9 weeks till the clocks go forward! Onwards and upwards smile
Lots of flowers flowers flowers flowers flowers for all of you still suffering.

SueDonim Mon 22-Jan-18 18:45:47

I thought I'd just report back that I'm pretty much recovered now. I still have the occasional cough and splutter but otherwise it's gone at last!

I hope others are feeling better too. flowers

merlotgran Wed 24-Jan-18 10:29:24

Anyone else still suffering from crippling exhaustion? I'm over the cough and thought I was on the mend but as soon as I try and get something done my legs ache and I have to sit down again.

DH is much better so we ventured out to the garden centre yesterday to stock up on bird food for the RSPB garden watch this weekend. We enjoyed our little jaunt but as soon as we got back home and put the kettle on I felt wobbly.

Not much sleep last night thanks to the high winds so today I don't think I could punch my way out of a wet paper bag!

I've had this for a month now and I'm so fed up with it. Like horses at this time of year I need some sun on my back

kittylester Wed 24-Jan-18 10:46:47

I'd say that we are recovered merlot but we still need a session of sitting down in the afternoon which I find really frustrating. DH recovered much faster that I but this is my week 6/7 and I'm peed off.

M0nica Wed 24-Jan-18 16:08:20

merlot, yup, DH and I are both like that. I have barely been out of the house since 1 January, so feeling a bit better this morning, I wrapped up well and went for a short walk around the village, I thought it might do me some good. Got home just before lunch, virtually fell asleep with my face in my soup, slept for over an hour and I am still feeling completely exhausted.sad

SueDonim Wed 24-Jan-18 21:29:16

I'm pretty whacked, too, after a night away visiting a new grandchild and then my aging mother. Not much sleep here either, due to the wind and rain!

My painful throat is back. Too much talking, I suspect. blush

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Jan-18 01:04:48

I've been going backwards a little bit for the last few days. The exhaustion is definitely partly down to the aggressiveness of the cough. It wracks my whole body. I can still only croak for very short periods of time and every breath is also a whistle from my vocal cords being inflamed - by the cough. The cough stops me sleeping much because I'm left wide awake after every bout and usually end up having to go to the loo. None of this is conducive to sleeping and I'm very glad I can nap in the day. My day at the moment is just a cycle of coughing and napping until my DH comes home. Then I cough and watch an hour or two before heading back to bed again.

It's normal for me to have a chronic cough and problems sleeping, but this bug has exacerbated the symptoms. That's the end of my moaning now. grin

Fresh flowers for everyone today flowers

NannyTee Thu 25-Jan-18 13:13:09

Ahh Wilma . Hope you feel better very soon. That goes for everyone!! ????

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Jan-18 13:42:04

Thanks NannyTee. How is your DM?

M0nica Thu 25-Jan-18 16:38:40

DH is on his way down again. The cough has eased but he has been feeling awful yesterday and today and completely lost his voice.

After 4 weeks, I finally decided enough was enough. Phoned the surgery, spoke to the duty doctor and she saw him this afternoon and diagnosed laryngitis and has prescribed antibiotics.

It seems that if you have a bad respiratory infection, you are more liable to catch laryngitis.

merlotgran Thu 25-Jan-18 16:59:24

I do believe we're over the worst. Managed to do a few jobs this morning without feeling a total wreck. DH is comatose in his chair but at least he spent a bit of time outside in the sunshine this morning.

I will be so cross if it comes back again!!

Get well soon, everyone. smile

NannyTee Thu 25-Jan-18 17:03:05

She's a lot brighter thanks Wilma. She's been out a couple of times too .

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Jan-18 18:48:01

M0nica I've been left with laryngitis too and it won't really improve until the cough improves. I was relieved to be told my chest was clear though, so no antibiotics needed.

That's great news NannyTee! I'm thinking about going out for the first time tomorrow. smile

Bathsheba Thu 25-Jan-18 22:19:27

Wilma I'm so sorry you're still suffering so much - it's gone on a long time for you hasn't it? And for several others. I think this winter is one that many of us will never forget. For all the wrong reasons sad
I hope you start to feel better very soon flowers