Gransnet forums

Health

Drooping eyelids

(50 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 05-Jan-18 19:44:24

This happens so slowly that I didn't really notice at first, but my top eyelids are getting very droopy and I can't open my eyes wide properly. Apparently they can operate to remove the surplus skin to cure the age related problem.
Has anyone had this done? Will NHS do it? I would like to have my eyes wide open again - this is very aging.

Eglantine21 Fri 05-Jan-18 19:51:45

Oh, oh I want to have mine done too. Sometimes they flap in the wind!!

NannyTee Fri 05-Jan-18 19:51:56

Oo have you not seen those little invisible sticky eye lift thingys on TV. They look brilliant.

Ilovecheese Fri 05-Jan-18 19:53:44

A friend of mine has had it done under the NHS.

PamelaJ1 Fri 05-Jan-18 19:53:49

I keep thinking about having mine done. If you can convince the dr, that it’s impeding your sight you may be able to get it done on the NHS.
If you go privately it will cost about £2500, at least it did a bout 3 years ago at our local Spire Hospital.
A friend of mine had hers done on the NHS and had a perfectly good job done as far as her sight was concerned. Others that I know who went privately were happier with the results. So IMO you get a better cosmetic result if you pay, if you are not concerned about the aesthetic look then try for NHS.
You can go for a free consultation at Spire. I did but I always seem to have more important things to spend my money on.

Baggs Fri 05-Jan-18 19:55:26

eglantine, grin

NannyTee Fri 05-Jan-18 19:55:44

Look on Google for the magic eye lift tape

Jane10 Fri 05-Jan-18 20:00:25

Might be worth a visit to your GP. Drooping eyelids can be indicative of underlying condition. Just a thought before you rush off for plastic surgery!

NannyTee Fri 05-Jan-18 20:06:14

Magic eye lift. Wonderstripes. Try them first.

PamelaJ1 Fri 05-Jan-18 20:09:21

I tried some sticky pad things a few years ago. I know I got them from Guinot but they may have been Mary Cohr.
They were good but such a faff to keep putting them on. They lasted a few days and weren’t cheap.

annsixty Fri 05-Jan-18 20:39:48

My friend is waiting for this to be done.
She is paying to have it. The waiting list, even to be seen, on the NHS was quite long.

mrsmopp Fri 05-Jan-18 21:36:27

If you are paying, do you need a GP referral? How do you go about it? I'm not in BUPA or anything like that.

trisher Fri 05-Jan-18 21:46:59

No idea how it was done but I remember a friend who volunteered in a care home telling me that one of the ladies had had it done and looked years younger. It was NHS. We both decided this was the plastic surgery we would choose.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 21:48:38

The man that lives in the flat opposite me had it done on the nhs. I've never heard someone make such a fuss!

Jane10 Fri 05-Jan-18 22:31:41

I didn't mean a GP referral for plastic surgery just that drooping eyelids could be indicative of an underlying condition. Worth checking.

Purpledaffodil Fri 05-Jan-18 22:39:29

Don’t know if it’s a postcode lottery type thing, but NHS won’t do that op around our way(Surrey) Have a couple of friends who’ve tried and been rejected.

Morgana Fri 05-Jan-18 23:37:52

Why on earth should the Nat. Health be picking up the bill if this op is purely to make us look better?!! Surely we should be valuing it and not using it for our own personal vanity?

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 23:46:04

I had a horrible mole on my face (a Nanny MacPhee one!)
I was referred to the hospital dermatology dept, and they told me it was purely cosmetic, and therefore it couldn't be done on the nhs.
I decided to find out about having it removed privately, and saw a doctor who said she found it quite reasonable that I didn't want to end up with a mole which was taking over my face, and she felt it should be done on the nhs. She wrote to my doctor and asked him to refer me straight to hospital to get it done, without having to go through the dermatology dept again.
It was done, and I'm no longer frightening small children (well, not often!)
So, I think there is an element of pot luck. My GP was quite cross: he couldn't understand why I would want it removed when it was benign.

mrsmopp Sat 06-Jan-18 08:01:18

Morgana - it's not just vanity. My eyes are half closed all the time and it affects my vision.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jan-18 08:20:39

Is this what the NHS is for ?
You didn’t mention anything about it effecting your sight in the original post just that it was ageing you !

I think this is where the NHS is played and should only be used for people who are ill

loopyloo Sat 06-Jan-18 08:55:03

My mother had a rodent ulcer on the side of her forehead, which the nhs removed. It had the effect of a facelft ! I asked the surgeon if he could do the other side to match. But unfortunately not but it made him laugh.

loopyloo Sat 06-Jan-18 09:16:07

My request list currently stands at -

Building extension to enlarge living space. £30,000
Dental implants ×2 £3,000
Eyelids £3,000
Cataract replacement to correct short sight £5,000.
£90,000 premium bond win to pay off mortgage. I suppose this should come first.
Apart from that I am quite happy.......

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Jan-18 09:55:59

You don’t need a Drs referral. I just phoned the Spire hosp.(bupa) and had a very in depth consultation. It was with a nurse and she was very informative and in no way pushy.
It didn’t cost a penny.
The op itself is very simple and I think the NHS uses very junior Drs to do the op. to practice their skills. If you go privately then more care is given to the finished look.
I think that the skin has to be practically blinding you before the NHS will do it.

mrsmopp Sat 06-Jan-18 10:06:38

Bluebelle, I agree with your comment about the NHS, but where to say stop? People have had tattoos removed, they do breast reductions, tummy tucks and so on. What about expensive IVF? I'm sure there are many more where the patient is not actually ill.

silverlining48 Sat 06-Jan-18 13:04:20

I had this done privately about 15 years ago. Upper and lower eyelids both done £5000. It was straightforward and made a huge difference, i could use eyeshadow for a start.
Je ne regrete rien.