Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone got flu at the moment after having a flu jab?

(68 Posts)
Nannyliz Wed 10-Jan-18 22:40:18

I had my flu jab as usual last year and have been suferring, with what I can only assume, is flu as I am feeling absolutely terrrible with the worse cough I have ever had. It sarted a week ago and I am still nowhere near back to anything like normal.

MawBroon Wed 10-Jan-18 23:35:50

If you are only a week in, I suspect it is not flu. Or at least a milder version precisely because of your flu jab.

Nannyliz Thu 11-Jan-18 22:32:51

I think you're probably right. I dread to think what the full on version would be like!!! Just have to wait for it to run it's course. Good old daytime television and my wonderful OH for looking after me.

newnanny Thu 11-Jan-18 23:36:30

I had flu jab at end of September. On Dec 29th I got a virus. Felt really crap with it and struggled to breathe for two days as asthmatic too, awful cough, sore throat and high temp and aching muscles. Today is first day I have felt better. Last night I finally slept without coughing all night. Even asthma seems better today. We have all had it in our house. My ds2 23 years who is never ill has had it bad too hot and cold, shivery and high temp, also headaches and could not hear properly so ear issues. I think that flu jab may have been a different stain to virus we had.

Nannyliz Fri 12-Jan-18 17:27:30

Hope you're all recovering, it certainly is nasty.

MamaCaz Fri 12-Jan-18 17:34:37

I am tempted to say that if you are well enough to post on here, it can' be flu!
That said, there are, as always, many very unpleasant viruses around, so you certainly have my sympathy. I hope you soon feel better.

Washerwoman Fri 12-Jan-18 18:15:43

I had to delay my flu jab in the autumn because I had a horrible virus plus conjunctivitis. Since I had it in October I've had three more stinking colds,then a viral thing that started just before Xmas and tbh have only fully recovered from this week.There are just so many different bugs and viruses out there.From the symptoms of full blown flu I know that's not what I had,but I still felt dreadful.Hope you feel better soon.

Iam64 Fri 12-Jan-18 18:41:11

There do seem to be some horrible virus type bugs around, that either hang on for weeks, or morph into something else, or leave you so debilitated you pick up the next horrible virus. Maw is right Nannyliz, if you feel ok for however many minutes that allow you to post here, it is unlikely to be flu. I've had flu twice in my life. You can't move, just lie in your bed. I was sent off for blood tests when I had flu, just walking into the blood clinic almost did for me and is a complete blur. My companion actually held me up.
Sorry for being dramatic and do hope you feel better soon.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 19:28:56

nannyliz From the sound of it and the symptoms it sounds like the virus that a lot of us have been discussing on the thread
www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1243772-Viral-infection

The symptom common to almost all is the cough. DH has had it for a fortnight.

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Jan-18 19:42:25

Just been reading about it as I had the jab in November but went down with flu last week. Definitely flu! This was not a cold! Knocked out completely for three days, I’m surfacing now but still coughing like a goodun. Appparently this Aussie flu (H3N2?) mutates much faster than usual so while usually it’s only about 2% of people vaccinated who still get it, this time it’s 20% and rising. The jab still gives some protection though depending on the degree of mutation and it covers three different strains so we’re covered for the other two.

Nannyliz Mon 15-Jan-18 15:59:40

Thought I'd be feeling better by now, I've had it for 10 days. Just got no energy, still coughing which is wearing me out. So will just have to be patient. It's our turn to look after our 3 year old Granddaughter tomorrow, so it looks like Grandpa will have to do the lion's share. I'll just do the reading story books with her curled up on the settee bit!!! Poor old DH must be worn out with looking after me.

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 17:39:36

Just to cheer you up - I'm on week 5!!!!

merlotgran Mon 15-Jan-18 17:50:12

You know they say you've got 'flu when you feel so ill you can't get out of bed to pick up a £50 not that just happens to have landed on the lawn?

Well, DGS and his girlfriend have just popped in with a large bunch of flowers to cheer me up as we both seem to be getting worse - in fact DH went back to bed yesterday and has only just got up again.

So sweet and thoughtful but my first thoughts were, (didn't voice them, obvs) Oh no, I'm going to have to find a vase, strip the lower stems, make sure the plant food is added and then arrange them nicely.

I reckon that must run a close second to the £50 test.

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 17:51:47

What a lovely though but the thought of that has given me a relapse merlot. grin

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 17:52:35

though - thought and there were too many of those anyway - I must be kill!!!

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 17:53:01

kill - ill!!! I really must be ill!!

tessagee Mon 15-Jan-18 18:05:26

This post reminded me of a conversation I had this morning in my hairdressers where one of the staff who has had the vaccine went to A&E having being very ill in bed for 2 weeks.
Some tests proved that she did indeed have flu; they then issued her with a mask together with strict instructions to keep it on until she reached home and to stay indoors until completely recovered. The joke was that she'd already been in A&E for several hours before being issued with the mask. Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has escaped!

OldMeg Mon 15-Jan-18 18:51:41

Well I suppose there would be other people she might meet before she got home.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 15-Jan-18 22:44:35

Having reading the descriptions of what is actually being called the flu I would venture to say that they are nasty viruses and not the flu. I was also laid flat with a terrible cough and felt so awful that Christmas preps were all put on hold. However, I have had real flu first in 1957, then in the sixties and again in the eighties. I also had it 2000 but the vaccine curtailed the longer effects that flu gives you. First, you can hardly get out of bed and walk to the loo, secondly it goes on until you feel you will never be well again. It lasts weeks, not days and leaves you entirely wiped out. When I had it in the sixties at Christmas I was still coughing in March. When I had it in the eighties I looked and felt really ill from well before Easter until weeks later. However, having had the flu jab in 2000 I was able to get up after about a fortnight and my recovery was much faster. So I believe the term flu is mistakenly used in many cases. I know how awful I felt in December but I knew it wasn’t flu which I dread.

merlotgran Mon 15-Jan-18 23:21:10

I had Asian flu in Asia, aged 10 (very ill) and Hong Kong flu in 1968 when I was pregnant so quite honestly I don't know what we've got now. We've both been really ill and it's not letting up.

Call it what you like. I wish it would bugger off.

f77ms Mon 15-Jan-18 23:50:45

lovetopaint I agree with you . Most of the viruses which people call flu are not flu , you can assume that if you are posting on GN then you do not have flu . There are so many rumours going around about the Aussie flu and how it overrides the flu jab by this per cent and that per cent . Once you have had real flu you know about it , it cannot be mistaken for anything else and you always make sure you have your jab after that ! I start asking in the chemist in September and am one of the first to have it after having flu 2 years ago (the first time I didn`t have the jab) I really thought I was dying and would not have been too bothered if I had ! It took months to get over and still scares me when winter approaches .

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Jan-18 07:11:10

A lot of the problem seems to be that we have quite possibly had the flu. Been wiped out and in a darkened room for several days. And got better. Nearly. But the damned thing won't go properly away! How long before we stop needing several naps during the day? How long before any movement causes convulsions of coughing? I don't think I got it as badly as I would have without the jab, but I really could do with feeling better now.

kittylester Tue 16-Jan-18 07:19:37

I'm with merlot - call it what the hell you like - I'm fed up with it.

I think most of us have called it the bloody lurgy and don't claim to have had flu!

The main thread on this is called 'viral Infection'.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Jan-18 08:29:33

We both had the flu jab before Christmas. DH has been coughing for ages. and yesterday succumbed to whatever has attacked him. Last night he was very hot and had a rash all over his head and face. I've told him to stay in bed this morning, which he will hate, and will keep supplying hot drinks and paracetamol as needed.

lionpops Tue 16-Jan-18 09:45:03

Yes you probably have the flu. NHS England sent a letter to GPS that the Jab did not work for this strain, I and my friends have all had it. Started with a bad throat,chesty cough,loss of appetite,lethargy,fever at the start. Taken three weeks to recover.