Gransnet forums

Health

CBD Oil (Cannabidoil)

(104 Posts)
Squiffy Sun 18-Mar-18 13:54:17

CBD Oil is obtained from cannabis, but has had the 'trippy' part removed and is perfectly legal!

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and whether they've had any benefit from it?

I have M.E. and I'm thinking of trying it to relieve some of the symptoms.

It's recently hit the headlines as being the universal panacea for all ills, but I've been reading up on it and it does actually sound as though it can be quite beneficial.

I realise that people's bodies react differently, but just thought it might be useful to get opinions from GNs who've actually tried it!

farview Sun 18-Mar-18 13:59:53

My friend's husband gave it a try as he wasn't sleeping due to back pain.it helped enormously!!

Marydoll Sun 18-Mar-18 14:02:38

I know of a wee baby with multiple health problems, who has it to prevent seizures. It seems to be helping, but the parents have to purchase it themselves every month.

Squiffy Sun 18-Mar-18 14:06:26

Thank you both for responding so quickly - and positively! How wonderful that it's helped the people whom you know.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Mar-18 14:08:14

I also know of an older child with autism and epilepsy who has been helped by it.
The worst I've heard about the oil is that some people don't notice any easing of their problems. I've never heard of adverse effects.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Mar-18 14:09:33

I would think it would be wonderful if it can be manufactured for health and with the ‘hit’ taken out of it and if it proved helpful good luck to anyone I wouldn’t know where to buy it though as I don’t trust internet health tablets etc so it would need to be from a proper pharmacy is it licensed ?

MissAdventure Sun 18-Mar-18 14:10:19

I think Holland and Barretts sell it.

Squiffy Sun 18-Mar-18 14:13:23

Yes, H & B sell it and also Healthspan. No doubt, others will follow now that it's been approved.

It's available as oil and also capsules. It sounds as though it tastes awful, hence the capsules being available!

Personally, I don't care what it tastes like as long as it helps!

MissAdventure Sun 18-Mar-18 14:15:12

My mum had a little e cig type contraction, which had no taste, and didn't make her cough.
I think it was all too late for her various health problems though.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Mar-18 14:21:03

What is it lisenced for ...pain relief ?

Daddima Sun 18-Mar-18 14:31:21

As far as I know it’s a food supplement, so no need to be licensed. I’m on my third day of taking it, so I’ll let you know.

Grannyknot Sun 18-Mar-18 14:44:24

There is a UK licensed cannabis product - here you go:

www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/sativex-nabiximols

I don't know anything about it other than having heard about it ...

Squiffy Sun 18-Mar-18 14:44:40

According to the MHRA website it is licensed as a medicine. Pain relief would just be part of its medicinal use presumably.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Mar-18 15:13:25

I know a consultant (forgotten his name as I forget everyones name now ) at our local hospital was the first person to make it usuble for pain relief

paddyann Sun 18-Mar-18 15:39:29

sadly didn't help my daughters fibromyalgia at all.Its not the medical strength thats on sale in Holland and Barrett ..and other health shops ,its a lower potency.There is a need for medical cannabis to be licensed here as it gets fantastic reviews .The Scottish government is agreeable to it being availabel but its not a devolved matter so we need to wait for WM to move forward with it....that mmay take a long time .

MissAdventure Sun 18-Mar-18 15:48:29

We're lagging behind a lot of places with regard to legal cannabis.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Mar-18 15:51:08

Remembered his name Will Notcutt and he did the trials 20 years ago for pain management
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/704227.stm

BlueBelle Sun 18-Mar-18 15:52:30

Sorry 10 years ago, bloody edit button WHERE IS IT .

Nelliemoser Mon 19-Mar-18 07:50:48

I understand it can be taken by drops given under the tongue, but that it can leave a rather nasty dry sensation in the mouth. I have not tried it.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Mar-18 09:05:58

Don't forget potential interactions with any medications you might be taken.

Katek Mon 19-Mar-18 09:53:36

My friend’s daughter takes this and swears it has significantly reduced her MS symptoms.

Slowcookervegan Mon 19-Mar-18 12:27:18

I have enjoyed reading about this, i have epilepsy. the side effects of the tablets are horrible never mind the epilepsy itself. My partner and i were just discussing me trying the oil. I wonder if it works then maybe i can stop my medication.
Will let you know the outcome of my trial.
Good luck everyone

MissAdventure Mon 19-Mar-18 12:37:20

It will be very interesting to hear "straight from the horses mouth", as it were, if there are positive outcomes.

jura2 Mon 19-Mar-18 13:03:37

I am considering it as I have trouble sleeping recently, and for recovery with knees. A young friend sells it in his shop and said he will bring me some to try soon.

Patsy70 Mon 19-Mar-18 13:14:06

I heard about this recently on an LBC radio phone-in programme, and people were singing its praises, as it is a natural source with no side effects. I'd be very interested to hear of your personal views. Good luck to those who try it!