Gransnet forums

Health

CBD Oil (Cannabidoil)

(105 Posts)
Squiffy Sun 18-Mar-18 13:54:17

CBD Oil is obtained from cannabis, but has had the 'trippy' part removed and is perfectly legal!

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and whether they've had any benefit from it?

I have M.E. and I'm thinking of trying it to relieve some of the symptoms.

It's recently hit the headlines as being the universal panacea for all ills, but I've been reading up on it and it does actually sound as though it can be quite beneficial.

I realise that people's bodies react differently, but just thought it might be useful to get opinions from GNs who've actually tried it!

hemphealstheworld Mon 02-Apr-18 08:33:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Marydoll Mon 02-Apr-18 08:35:18

Reported

Squiffy Tue 24-Apr-18 12:02:14

Thought I'd just do a quick update.

I've been taking cbd oil for about three weeks and have definitely seen an improvement in my sleep pattern. I don't wake up as many times as before and, when I do wake in the night, I go back to sleep almost immediately. Previously, when I woke in the night, I'd toss and turn for ages each time- and get more and more agitated! Often, I only had four hours sleep and, even that, wasn't in just one stretch.

I also seem to be generally less anxious. I've always been a very calm person on the outside, but churned up on the inside!

I'm not sure if it's made any other differences.

Would be interesting to hear about other GN's experiences.

Situpstraight Tue 24-Apr-18 12:27:02

Australia are due to debate the legal use of medicinal Marijuana in August, my relative will be relieved if it goes through,( but more importantly if he can get it through his insurance company,) as he is on long term chemo.

Let’s hope it goes through and that it becomes legal over here very soon, however, I can’t see NICE approving it for many people due to the cost.

Sparklefizz Tue 24-Apr-18 16:27:17

Squiffy, I also have M.E. and sleep problems and never get enough sleep because once awake, that is it for the night.

Which brand of cannabis oil are you using? Thanks in advance.

Squiffy Wed 25-Apr-18 01:00:41

Sparkle I've been taking capsules from Healthspan. I was lucky enough to buy them when they were on offer! I just take one before bedtime and they seem to be effective. For the last few nights I've taken three drops of oil instead (from an online auction site!). I know that sounds dodgy, but I've done my homework ?

Coolgran65 Wed 25-Apr-18 01:53:10

I'm on a forum for severe restless legs and many members use the oil (without the hit) for relief and help with sleep. It helps some more than others.

However this is in the US and it is available in higher strengths than is available here in UK. This is because weed is legal in some states and there are special shops where you can buy it.

Also there is medical marijuana that is available on prescription in the US.

I have heard of respectable folks who are suffering from chronic conditions who are 'acquiring ' weed and using it with success.

I'd be afraid to do this but I guess for some folks there comes a time when needs must.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Apr-18 06:38:37

Squiffy Thanks. I'll try it.

NfkDumpling Wed 25-Apr-18 07:06:33

Does it work for pain relief? My DH has collapsing discs and the constant ache really drags him down sometimes. We use other Healthspan products but they seem to be selling it without really knowing the benefits!

morethan2 Wed 25-Apr-18 07:14:36

Coolgran65 my lovely terminally ill DiL falls in to that ‘needs must’ category I do worry a little about how it’s being brewed, but am assured that there’s been a lot of research done. ( I keep imagining a still in one of the families sheds shock!)She’s never taken an illegal drug before. We used to laugh that she was probably the only person in her peer group who hadn’t. She says it makes her sleep better, she’s been able to cut out her powerful pain relief medication completely. When she’s on chemotherapy it controls the side effects. I’ve no idea if it is helping but she’s still here and a fully functional mummy to her children. So who am I to argue that it’s illegal. I do wish there was more scientific legal research though.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Apr-18 09:05:33

NfkDumpling I've checked out the Healthspan site (like you I buy other supplements from there). I got the impression that they were not allowed to claim any benefits for it rather than not "really knowing the benefits", as you say.

NfkDumpling Wed 25-Apr-18 10:33:13

You’re right Sparkle. I think I’ll order some try it.

Lona Wed 25-Apr-18 10:41:24

A family member of mine takes it for his diabetes and eye problems and the improvement has been amazing! This is not the stuff from H&B though.
There are quite a lot of different types as far as I know, they have differing ingredients, and you need to be cautious.
I've tried the oil from H&B and it tastes vile! ?

Faye Wed 25-Apr-18 15:11:27

DD2 is chronically ill, she is in a lot of pain, can’t walk some of the time, she is waiting for a spinal operation, and has severe migraines, plus other severe complications. It’s been pretty horrific and she is currently in hospital again a five - six hour drive from home. She was previously flown by air ambulance because she was too ill to go by road.

I was able to get cbd oil for her, I think of it as liquid gild. It’s costing me au $300 for a small bottle with a dropper of imported organic cbd oil, (next batch is going up to $350 a bottle) it has no brand name. Apparently the plant needs to be grown naturally, no hydroponics, no sprays and they don’t use ethanol in the process .

DD said within ten minutes of using it her migraine went, she said she could still feel a tightness to her head but the pain had gone. She said after half an hour her back relaxed a bit. She takes three drops under her tongue five times a day. She is on other medication for her pain and got herself off Lyrica because of the severe side effects then she found the withdrawal symptoms were terrible.

DD is currently back in hospital but she hasn’t told her doctors she is now taking cbd oil.

I have read that you can get the same benefits by using fresh buds and the leaves of the marijuana plant in smoothies.

Lona Wed 25-Apr-18 15:16:30

Faye Your dd should tell her doctors as it may affect other treatment. Most doctors seem very open minded about it.

Faye Wed 25-Apr-18 15:40:29

The problem is she was visiting her sister in a different state and became very unwell so she ended up in hospital again. She now finds herself in a different hospital, with different doctors in a different city (a long distance away).. It has been a blessing in disguise though as she much prefers the spinal surgeon at the second hospital.

She had told her Neurologist at her recent appointment at the other hospital that she was taking cbd oil. He just asked her where she got it from. The doctors don’t seem to know much about it either.

I wish they would be able to operate on her spine, they have said it’s very complex and they can’t rush it.

Agus Wed 25-Apr-18 17:41:19

After some research, Queen Victoria’s physician prescribed cannabis to alleviate painful PMS she was suffering with.

So much research still continues to prove cannabis is indeed a very successful natural pain killer. What would be so wrong with allowing people experiencing unbearable pain being allowed a prescription for controlled amounts.

I live with gnawing pain daily and would gladly volunteer should the NHS need guinea pigs

Squiffy Wed 25-Apr-18 18:03:31

The cynic in me cannot resist thinking that big pharma will fight like mad to stop it being medicinally legalised so that they can continue making fortunes from their very expensive drugs. We can only hope that they don’t manage to somehow take control of the availability of cbd oil under the guise of setting up ‘research’ projects.

Squiffy Thu 26-Apr-18 18:05:23

Three more positive outcomes have suddenly dawned on me!

For donkeys years I have had intermittent sinus pain, which at times has been so painful that I can hardly move my head. I also, randomly, have migraines. I suddenly realised this morning that both of these seem to have stopped. My head has become a pressure-free zone!

Also, when I wash my hair in the shower I put a 'tea strainer' over the plughole to trap the escapee hair. Well, the last three hair washes have not trapped any hair!! This, after a lifetime of catching enough hair to fill many a mattress!

Could be coincidence, of course, but after years of all the above it seems unlikely.

Iam64 Thu 26-Apr-18 18:16:54

Cannabis is a natural pain killer and relaxant. It seems crazy that we prescribe methadone patches, strong codeine, tramadol etc for chronic pain but not cannabis.

Faye Fri 27-Apr-18 05:54:20

Lona I received a message from DD2, she saw the pain management team this morning and she told them she is taking cbd oil. Their response was they want her to increase the Tramadol she is on and stop taking the cbd oil.

DD was originally on Lyrica, Tramadol and a slow releasing pain killer. ?

Lona Fri 27-Apr-18 16:52:04

A dilemma for your poor dd Faye, hope she gets some positive help soon.

Squiffy Fri 27-Apr-18 17:53:11

Oh, your poor DD Faye It really makes it difficult for a patient whether to, in effect, go against the advice of the 'experts'.

Many moons ago, I was fortunate enough to have a GP who took the attitude that, as conventional medicine wasn't helping me with a persistent condition, she would happily refer me to a complementary therapist. In that instance, it was a homeopath and was the first time in over 30 years of practising that he'd had a referral from a GP! (He was a qualified doctor himself)

I wonder if all the cutbacks will make GPs more amenable to cheaper 'alternative' options, such as cbd oil?

Faye Sat 28-Apr-18 17:47:49

DD said no to increasing the Tramadol, she is sticking with the cbd oil.

I can’t imagine how people have managed on these prescribed pharmaceutical drugs with their terrible side effects and just as bad withdrawal symptoms. DD has been lucky that she has only been taking them for less than six weeks and I was able to find really good cbd oil. No wonder so many people die from prescribed drugs, they are shocking.

Sparklefizz Thu 03-May-18 09:33:30

Squiffy I have started taking Healthspan's CBD Oil but haven't noticed any improvements in my sleep. I am taking 1 in the evening and 2 at bedtime (suggested dosage is 3 spread throughout the day but I only want the effects at night time). I have looked online and quite high doses are suggested for sleep but as I have M.E. and other illnesses, I'm wary in case I get a reaction. What strength are the drops of CBD oil you're taking? Is it too soon for me to have noticed an improvement? I bought a pack of 30 and these will only last for 10 days at 3 per day. TIA for your help.