Gransnet forums

Health

Miscarriage

(9 Posts)
LongtoothedGran Wed 11-Apr-18 08:23:58

My daughter has had her 3rdmiscarriage since May last year, and like the first it is incomplete, resulting in a D and C on Monday at a large hospital. She is traumatised by the experience, as she had insufficient anaesthetic(local) and felt everything. It took much longer than the first time this happened, she was crying with pain, and her husband was sent for to try to calm her. She says it was much worse than a long labour and cesarian which she had 3 years ago. Is this normal for a D and C? She has to go back for a scan in 6 days and possibly endure it again. I really believed that this form of torture does not happen today in Britain with the availability of modern anaesthetics. What can and should be done. Help!

BlueBelle Wed 11-Apr-18 08:48:23

I had a Dand C after a miscarriage and another during the menopause both times I had a full anaesthetic not a local and knew nothing about the procedure it is an operation so I didn’t realise they were now doing it under a local
With most operations done under local you can ask for a full light anaesthetic if you feel it’s necessary
Please tell her to talk to PALS about what happened the hospital will be extra careful about her pain if they know there is a complaint about them
This shouldn’t happen even my dentist is constantly upping the ‘nummer’ if I say it’s hurting and the pain showing through
It sounds barbaric

harrigran Wed 11-Apr-18 08:56:21

I am afraid this sounds all too familiar. Light sedation or a local anaesthetic ensures the patient occupies a bed for the minimum time and if they can get you in and out in a couple of hours you don't count as an inpatient.
NHS is going to hell in a handcart.

ginny Wed 11-Apr-18 09:03:10

Just wanted to say how sorry I am that this has happened to you DD . My DD has a missed last month, (the baby had stopped growing at 10 weeks but her body had not recognised the fact) and it was discovered at her 12 week scan. A horrible experience and shock.
She went to hospital for D & C and had a general anaesthetic. I can’t imagine why they would not do so. Certainly a cause for complaint.

OldMeg Wed 11-Apr-18 09:29:40

So sorry to read of this LTG. and I hope yourbDD is feeling a little better soon.

Re these miscarriages- has she had her thyroid levels checked? My DD had three miscarriages an then was found to have low thyroid levels. These were adjusted by medication and she went on to have a healthy baby.

paddyann Wed 11-Apr-18 12:30:47

They can do different procedures without anaesthetic now,I had a coil removed that was embedded in the wall of my womb a couple of years ago ...and its not an experience I'd like to repeat,my sister had a D and C without anaesthetic years ago.Both were, I'm sure, because they didn't want to take up bed space. I was lleft to sit for half an hour in a side room and my husband was called to collect me
Many years ago my multiple miscarriages were said to be because of our different blood groups.mine is RH- and OH is RH+

glammanana Wed 11-Apr-18 14:09:23

How I feel for your DD LTG she should never have had to put up with pain like that at such a trumatic time and demand a general anaesthetic if she requires further treatment,don't ask for it demand it.
I lost 4 babies at 10/16 weeks due to the neck of the womb being weak after the birth of my first baby,I should have been stitched and wasn't hence the miscarrying,after the 4th I was given stitches to hold the neck of the womb until full term.

LongtoothedGran Wed 11-Apr-18 14:11:47

Thanks everyone. I will try to persuade my daughter and her husband to stand their ground and get better anaesthetic. I know they will be afraid to complain to PALS though. I would love to speak to the hospital for DD but i think she would not appreciate it and they wouldn't talk to me for reasons of "confidentiality!!

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:38:28

Two things - I’ve always found PALS very much patient forcussed and well worth using. Secondly I used them on behalf of my daughter who was too upset to complain ( pregnancy related). I started off my email saying I understand all about patient confidentiality and knew that they couldn’t discuss matters with me but that I was sure they would want to bring the problem to the attention of the medical team to improve care for others including my daughter maybe in the future. I gave all the info - names dates etc. I had a lovely email back thanking me for understanding the confidentiality position but saying she had brought the matter to the consultants attention. The next time my dd went, she was treated with much more care. (I do hope your dd doesn’t have a next time though). Complaining can be difficult and PALS are ime a good intermediary and quicker than the formal route. I’ve used the several times.