Gransnet forums

Health

Cholesterol

(49 Posts)
sprite66 Sun 15-Apr-18 12:38:11

For some years now I have received emails from an NHS funded health site. Basically it asks for height/weight/BP/exercise etc and then calculates your healthiness or lack of. The cholesterol question always defeated me, so I asked my GP surgery if I could have a test. I should add I am 70 and have never had my cholesterol tested.
The practice manager grudgingly agreed and an appointment duly made. The phlebotomist gave me quite a gruelling as to why I had requested the test and at one point stood over me haranguing me with raised voice. I offered to forget the whole thing and just leave but with bad grace she took a blood sample.
I'm not sure what the protocol is for cholesterol tests but just a warning to others that maybe it's best to pay for a private one.
I'm not one of the "worried well" and have only had one appointment with a doctor in the last 3 years. I would add that in all past consultations I have found the practice doctors polite, pleasant and helpful.

Situpstraight Sun 15-Apr-18 12:43:47

It’s odd isn’t it? high Cholesterol can cause heart problems and yet you don’t get tested unless you get a heart problem, I can’t see why an annual blood test can’t be done, my BIL in Australia gets one, but, as you say, try asking for one over here!
I have to add that due to heart problems my DH had the test and is now on pills to help lower his ‘Bad’ Cholesterol.

I guess it’s all to do with money.

Situpstraight Sun 15-Apr-18 12:46:41

BTW you can buy a Cholesterol testing kit from the chemist which gives the results very quickly, with just a finger prick.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 15-Apr-18 12:58:49

Not allowed if I’m allowed to say this, re advertisingconfused but Lloyd’s pharmacy does all health checks, BP, diabetes and cholesterol etc, really simply

Welshwife Sun 15-Apr-18 13:12:06

In France you get a yearly ‘big’ blood test to check kidneys, liver, salt, thyroid, cholesterol etc etc. If anything is not right you go for another one a couple of months later.
They also give you ECG and echo grams every few years just to check things are the same. The heart checks are about €50 a go but the health service or top up insurance pay for them.

janeainsworth Sun 15-Apr-18 13:16:12

Sprite everyone between the ages of 40 and 74 is entitled to an NHS health check and the practice should have invited you for one. The check includes checking your cholesterol levels.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/what-is-an-nhs-health-check-new/#how-will-the-nhs-health-check-help-me
After I had mine I had a detailed letter from the practice with my results and an explanation of what it all meant, and an invitation to return to the practice if I wanted to discuss anything.

I think your practice manager and the phlebotomist were out of order. I’d be tempted to send a politely-worded letter expressing my concerns to the senior doctor.

Luckygirl Sun 15-Apr-18 13:16:29

I have never had a problem getting a cholesterol check and mine was very high, much to everyone's surprise as I do not eat red meat, hard cheese, eggs, butter etc. and live on a diet of fish, poultry, fruit and vegetables!

Because I had the test they were able to tackle the problem and it is now down at a reasonable level. Some people produce excessive amounts regardless of how well they eat/exercise etc.

You are not being unreasonable asking for the test and your surgery were out of order to be so churlish.

Niobe Sun 15-Apr-18 15:37:31

Sprite66, I would think seriously about changing your GP. I was only diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic when I saw my GP on another matter and she took blood "whilst I've got you here" to test for kidney function, cholesterol, liver function and blood glucose. Results came back that all was well except for the raised blood glucose indicating diabetes. At 70 your GP should be inviting you in every year to have tests.

Azie09 Sun 15-Apr-18 15:42:01

I think the debate over the pluses and minuses of statins means that GPs are pulling back on wholesale prescription they once were keen on. I requested a cholesterol test recently because they were doing other tests. The overall answer was 6.2 and the GP peered at the screen, commented that my weight and blood pressure were fine and I shouldn't worry about the cholesterol, not even consider changing my diet. I was surprised but he said if there was no family history of heart disease in my family under the age of 60 they didn't think there was a concern. I often think public health campaigns seem to be at odds with GP opinion!

M0nica Sun 15-Apr-18 17:50:00

I absolutely agree with Niobe. I am an occasional GP visitor and on a recent visit was sent for tests. Followed by a rapid request to come in and see my GP. My cholesterol was nearly 8.0, what is more it had been that level when tested twice in the last 10 years [hmm}.

As I tick all the boxes for a healthy lifestyle, so have no leeway there to improve matters and the figure has been unchanging over a decade my GP told me that my high cholesterol may be genetic and to warn my children to get tested if they haven't had it done.

Azie09 My GP completed a standard online form for me that calculated my risk of a stroke or heart attack in the next 10 years at 1 in 5. As 2 of my cousins have had strokes recently. I have overcome a disinclination to take statins based on their effect on DH and will now be taking them.

henetha Sun 15-Apr-18 18:01:47

I go to a (free) Well Woman clinic at our surgery once a year and they always check cholesterol, and everything else. That's how I found out that mine is too high so I now take statins.

Deedaa Sun 15-Apr-18 20:20:47

My cholesterol was checked during a health check when I was 60 . I thought this happened for everyone. Can't imagine why the phlebotomist should question it, when DH and I go for blood tests they just take the forms and get on with it. I sort of get tested every year, it depends how many times the surgery has to remind me!

radicalnan Mon 16-Apr-18 10:57:26

Why didnt you say something like 'is your attitude official policy'......you really do have to challenge people whose profesional standards are poor.

I would certainly leave negative feedbck on the surgery NHS page or speak tot he practice manager.

I worked for PALS for a number of years and could have been so much more effective in my work, had patients been more willing to tackle the few staff who are not behaving well.

No one knows about it if there is no feedback!!

Minerva Mon 16-Apr-18 11:13:52

My surgery is now employing a dragon to oversee prescriptions and I have to have regular ‘reviews’ to be allowed a sharps bin (I am type 1 diabetic) and each of my medications. If the doctor wants to refer someone to hospital it needs to go through a local NHS panel before it gets sent to the hospital and referrals are often refused. Perhaps someone at your surgery sprite is overseeing blood tests? I certainly don’t any longer get invited to have regular thyroxine testing (my thyroid was removed 40 years ago) or regular calcium testing following a parathyroid excision etc. I also go to Lloyd’s for inexpensive cholesterol testing once a year.

Coconut Mon 16-Apr-18 11:14:57

Surely the point of a Dr is to put your mind at rest about absolutely anything that concerns you ? Our Dr does this every year automatically with other blood tests etc Maybe a letter/email voicing how they made you feel would rectify this. The usual response is extra training for the staff !!

Tweedle24 Mon 16-Apr-18 11:29:28

That really surprises me. The practice to which I belong gives a yearly MOT which includes blood tests, BP etc. It just happens, no need to ask.
I believe practices are supposed to provide this service for their more mature patients,

tigger Mon 16-Apr-18 11:30:36

A private test would be extremely expensive. I was told off by my surgery for not having a test at least once a year. You really ought to raise a complaint regarding the way you were treated.

Saggi Mon 16-Apr-18 11:33:33

Go along to your local pharmacy and they will do a cholesterol test free and a diabetes test and any other that they’re able to do. Our surgery does an annual test if you’ve had stroke or heart priblems. Also you can get a testing kit on-line and do them yourself if your worried. I was on heart pills...cholesterol pills... stomach pills .... blood pressure pills. I started walking 40 miles a week...cut my food intake by a third...swim three times a week...Result is I’ve thrown all the pills in the dustbin .Feel much better for it.

pollyperkins Mon 16-Apr-18 11:34:38

I'm amazed! My doctor's surgery gives annual health checks to all patient of a certain age. Tbis included BP blood and urine tests and through tbis they can check for cholesterol, diabetes, kidney &liver function and thyroid among other things. It's not exactly compulsory but strongly encouraged and quite free! Not sure what age you have to be though.

Jaycee5 Mon 16-Apr-18 11:46:36

I am so pale that I can't go near a doctor without them wanting to send me for a blood test. I've probably had your share.
Once I went to a dentist who refused to take out a tooth without me going to my doctor for a blood test because he said my gums looked cyanotic. My doctor said 'your dentist is an idiot' and arranged the test but she was quite nasty about it. They said they would tell me the result but didn't and it was ages before I managed to get it and had my painful tooth out.

sandelf Mon 16-Apr-18 11:56:19

When you get results their interpretation needs care. There is a big difference between how 'lifetime risk' and '10 year risk' are calculated. - And always look at your own health and history and find out about the controversy concerning the use of statins (big money) and lifestyle/dietary measures. qrisk.org/lifetime/index.php

icanhandthemback Mon 16-Apr-18 12:05:43

May I humbly suggest that anybody getting their Cholesterol levels checked look at how the figures add up, especially if you are night a high "fats" eater. The triglyceride levels are often not reported but can skew the results of the overall levels. Triglycerides are affected by sugars/carbs rather than fats so cutting your fats will not help much; in fact, it could make is worse as fats slow down the affect of your sugars intake. Triglyceride levels are an indicator of stroke probabilities so they are very important to reduce if they are high. I have always been a low fat eater so I was amazed to find my cholesterol was high but it was a good indicator that I was pre-diabetic. The answer was to cut down sugars/carbs and eat more good fats.

roo163 Mon 16-Apr-18 12:25:44

At my GP Practice the request for a Cholesterol blood test has to be instigated by the GP. I suggest you see your GP and discuss your concerns.
I also requested a print out of my results as I find I don't retain everything said with a phone call.
I have just had mine done after a 2 year gap and I'm pleased to say my cholesterol has dropped from 4.9 to 4.5. The new eating and exercising regime and weight loss has certainly helped me.

Lorraine53 Mon 16-Apr-18 12:27:39

Gransnetters can I suggest you read the 'Great Cholesterol
Myth' if possible.
Personally I do not believe in Statins and would never take them myself, however my husband takes statins
and I have seen a big difference in his behaviour since he started taking them.

TellNo1Ok Mon 16-Apr-18 12:41:08

Our practice offers all over 55 a regular set of blood tests including cholesterol.... if found to be over 4.4 then you are offered statins.....
then every year around your birthday they call you for another blood test and review your prescriptions ...
i have found this excellent, reliable and apparently considered good practice....
if i'd had you experience i would write to the practice manager and comment...