Gransnet forums

Health

E.R.C.P. (An endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatog raphy)

(28 Posts)
Panache Tue 15-May-18 17:42:37

Having come to trust in the wisdom and advice given to many here on GN I wonder if there is someone ......or even a few......that may have had the `op I am due to have the 29th of this month?
And can further advise me.......even perhaps allay some of my fears?.

Although an ex nurse this is a field completely alien to me and quite honestly I am fearful and worried.

It is known as an E.R.C.P. (An endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography)

It is a procedure that can be used to remove gallstones from the bile duct.The gallbladder is not removed during this procedure,so any remaining stones will remain unless removed using the surgical technique as mentioned above.

It is not without substantial risks.

I have already had one such procedure,but without GA and it was a total failure.

Therefore I have had some serious pain meanwhile, but I was unable to be treated until a bed is available as it will require a G.A. this time.
It also means travelling a distance to the only 1 Hospital where only one Surgeon is qualified and able to attempt this delicate operation.

There are 4 such Hospitals in the queue and only one patient per week is admitted at a time.My turn on the 29th.

I seriously hope to find that here in lies the answer to my rather dramatic weight loss that has been much talked about on various threads.

Willow500 Tue 15-May-18 22:01:45

I'll be interested in any replies to this as my SIL is about to have something like it - gall stones in the bile duct and also in the gall bladder. She has to have the bile duct ones removed first and then another op for the gall bladder. I had my gall bladder removed 40 years ago but it was a straightforward op - albeit bigger than the keyhole one my husband had a few years ago so I've no knowledge of what will be done. They've told her it will be done by endoscopy though.

Good luck with your op - I hope all goes well.

Panache Wed 16-May-18 07:41:26

Thank you Willow,it seems we are still in the dark about what this `op really means.

I am unable to have my gall bladder removed because of past serious complications and a lot of internal "re wiring" is what I have been told.So even should this `op be successful I shall be at risk of further problems.

However for the past almost 2 years I have episodes of severe gastric pain,ending up as an emergency in Hospital on drips and A/B`s for weeks on end.
MRI scans have pin pointed the wandering stones and they are wedged in the bile duct, causing the liver to be distressed and leaving me with Yellow jaundice.

I had an E.R.C.P. under sedation prior to Christmas,and it failed.
We have been warned this is an extremely delicate and dangerous undertaking, and extremely complicated for the Surgeon.
It could fail again or it may well recur (with other wandering stones from the gall bladder) and that is a thought I prefer to put at the back of my mind right now.

We have to be hopeful or there simply is no point in bothering with such serious surgery.

How I wish I had had keyhole surgery those 40 years ago when the gall stones were first found...........but they have given no problems until Sept 2016.

With my `op scheduled for this 29th of May it seems I shall be able to let your SiL know all about it!

How I wish some one could advise me after having had the whole complicated procedure themselves.

Jane10 Wed 16-May-18 08:10:16

Sorry I can't answer your query but very sorry to hear of your troubles and I sincerely hope the planned procedure goes very well! Please let us knowhow you got on.

Marydoll Wed 16-May-18 08:15:41

Panache, I'm sorry you have to contend with this on top of all your other illnesses.
I do hope it all goes well for you. flowers

Jamaloka Wed 16-May-18 18:05:12

I had my gallbladder removed in 2003. It was a complex full open operation not keyhole surgery. In 2013 I had pain in that area which turned out to be gallstones in the bile duct. An ERCP was arranged to remove them. I was told it would be done as day surgery and i would be sedated. I was very apprehensive on the day. I remember being taken into the theatre and being reassured by the staff. I had a canula in my hand so I expect sedation was delivered via that. I had my throat sprayed to anaesthetise it. Next thing I remember is being in the recovery room and it was over. The surgeon told me they had recovered 4 stones and that I had tolerated the balloon reasonably well. I think the balloon is inflated internally to give room to manoeuvre instruments. Abdomen is filled with air too. This produced lots of wind during the rest of day and some discomfort. I read somewhere that the sedation used causes you to forget the experience you have gone through. While it was unpleasant and worrying it was very successful, and I was allowed home that evening.

Luckygirl Wed 16-May-18 19:18:14

I am sorry to hear that you have these health troubles, but it is good to hear from Jamaloka that the procedure went well for her.

I have similar problems that are under investigation. No gall bladder (went nearly 30 years ago) and 2 recent episodes of acute pain, followed by collapse. It seems that the problem might be with my liver, pancreas or bile duct (possibly stones) - something goes wrong in that vicinity that upsets the vagus nerve nearby, shuts down by blood pressure and I finish up unconscious, on the last occasion for 40 minutes. I am currently being investigated (well - very slowly - wrong scan booked, wrong clinic appointment sent - I could go on!!) and it looks as though something similar to your problem is on the cards - so please let me know how it all goes. And lots of good luck with it all - bon courage!

Panache Thu 17-May-18 20:31:21

How pleased I am to have the feedback Jamolka and especially with your account being very clear and precise about the whole procedure.
It was certainly unexpected I suppose, with you already having had your Gall Bladder removed.
However I have been given to understand these stones have the capacity to form and lodge just about anywhere.
We learn something new daily I find.

Whilst of course your procedure was exactly the same as I underwent at Christmas as a day case.
I was absolutely quaking after a very long wait and long travel on the day,however I remember going into theatre and even joked with the Irish Surgeon........I had the canula in my hand too.He himself used the anaesthetic spray to numb my throat and how foul it tasted.
But before I could even remark upon it, he was injecting two phials of sedation into the canula................next I remember is being awakened in the recovery room..........given some water and as soon as I drank that I was informed I could dress and have a cuppa.
Only after the tea was I told by the Nurse in charge the whole business had failed.No Surgeon,no written confirmation........just those words .....which really was most deflating.
Only weeks later a letter arrived saying I would be recalled for another E.R.C.P.......... but under GA......I have had to wait my turn,despite some excrutiatingly painful episodes both at home and needing emergency admission in Hospital.

This is now due on the 29th and yes,I am extremely apprehensive.I have had my pre assessment so it all looks positive.

However knowing how highly successful your procedure went Jamolka this is a great boost, a great help and encouragement.

Luckygirl on the other hand I feel very much for you,obviously you are having some extremely worrying and painful episodes, and although under investigation your Hospital appears to be,sadly, letting you down.
It all seems so complicated with several organs affected and the sooner you can get at least a proper diagnoses,indeed you too may well be heading for an E.R.C.P.

I value your posts tremendousely,and may I thank Jane10 and Marydoll for your good wishes too.

Indeed I shall report back and hopefully this time,it will be
with some good results.

Thank you all.

Luckygirl Thu 17-May-18 22:18:27

Please do let us know how it all goes for you - lots of good wishes coming your way.

Panache Fri 18-May-18 08:34:18

Of course I shall report back Luckygirl............and indeed I wish each one of you all the very best.
Obviously you too really need this procedure..... and soon.

Your SiL too Willow.

NOT looking forward but just hoping it will be successful this time.

Gagagran Fri 18-May-18 08:56:10

I'm another with no gall bladder (removed in 1982 with the open abdomen procedure then the norm) and have had severe gastritis episodes in the past 18 months. Now improving and hoping the stomach lining is healed. Mine was caused by ibuprofen I was told.

I send huge sympathy to anyone suffering with these painful complaints. I really hope they get it sorted for you Panache and also Luckygirl. It is miserable enduring the flare ups and also stressful waiting for the next one to strike. Keep positive and come on GN when you need some support. flowersflowers

Panache Fri 18-May-18 09:09:00

Gagagran...........your kind words and support much needed and appreciated believe me.Thank you.

I have had multiple health issues over many years and sailed through..........with some great difficulties hidden away from the public though.

Now I am much older,frail,having lost such a lot of weight and I am not ashamed to express great fear about this forthcoming operation.

The previous ERCP under sedation alone meant travelling over 50 miles and then waiting,waiting,simply hanging around for hours........and to be simply told afterwards that the procedure had failed was a very bad blow..........no visit from the Surgeon either explaining matters.

Several episodes later,one where I was extremely ill........but still waiting now for that needed ERCP but under GA........which means I need a bed.
That has made me wait and wait yet again.

But now I have a date.

However I have to phone that morning (as per norm) to check the bed is still available.............whilst with a 50 mile journey ahead I have to sign into the ward at............7.30 am.
No thought given to age.......to travelling distance.
All designed to fit in with their planned day at the Hospital.

However I am not complaining because the main thing is............Get this "job" done and hopefully successfully this time.

Jamaloka Sat 19-May-18 14:52:50

Panache, I have great sympathy for you as I remember how painful the condition can be. I know how stressed and scared I was prior to the procedure as most people would be. As I said it was successful and there have been no problems since, although I am aware that stones can occur again. Please be assured that the ERCP can mean an end to that awful pain. If I had had the choice I would have chosen to have a GA, as I am not very brave. I believe that the GA gives the surgeon more chance of achieving a good outcome. I sincerely wish you well and look forward to reading that your rescheduled ERCP has been successful.

silverlining48 Sun 27-May-18 12:08:03

I have just been diagnosed with gallstones and cysts on the liver. I do have some discomfort, nothing unbearable but it simetimes wakes me in the night. Not sure if it’s connected with upset tummy which has been going on fir months. Consulted dr Google and gallstones are fairly common which is reassuring, I think.
Await a further appt with gp to discuss that and a blood test result which she wants to see me about. A lot going on and feeling a tad nervous. Any helpful advice appreciated.
Good luck panache for your procedure. Hope it is successful this time.

Panache Sun 27-May-18 12:26:07

I can appreciate your concerns and fears silverlining,and it is only by tests..........bloods,scans,repeated M.R.I scans that the Medics reached this diagnoses and the need for an E.R.C.P. with me.

I have had gallstones for almost as long as I remember but because they gave no issues, I just forgot all about them.
However in Sept 2016 I was taken to Hospital as an emergency in agony, and it was then discovered the problem`s roots lay with the Gall bladder.
Because I have had extensive operations and replumbing internally an operation to remove the Gall Bladder was decided against.
Far too dangerous at my age.
After a week`s extemsive treatment with a host of A/B`s I was allowed home.
In less than 4 months.......... I had lost over 3 stone in weight............and there fore many tests and numerous procedures were carried out.
A repeated emergency trip brought yet further tests and yet more A/B`s................ and I was indeed very ill.

An E.R.C.P was the next "port of call"........resulting in a failed mission.
So now, another under G.A follows.

I can only add that visiting your own Doctor and probably Consultants in your Hospital............plus a myriad of these tests ........are the right route to follow, and I sincerely hope that a firm diagnoses and treatment will be forthcoming.
However may I add,you do need much patience as these treatments/procedures seem to take forever!
But health is precious, and we each must do what is needed to get ourselves fit and well again.
So Best of luck........and thank you for your kind wishes.

silverlining48 Sun 27-May-18 12:44:56

Thanks panache. Wish you well for Tuesday. Not long now. Let us know how you are. flowers

Squiffy Sun 27-May-18 13:03:53

Wishing you all the best for Tuesday, Panache. flowers

I have a lovely 'zip' scar from my gb removal in the 70s (the full fat operation back then!), when the appendix was removed at the same time for good measure, as it had become a little inflamed.

Panache Sat 02-Jun-18 10:42:52

My E.R.C.P.

Delighted to inform you that it seems this procedure under GA worked and the offending stone/blockage removed.

After repeatedly requesting to talk to the surgeon all we got was as he literally flew through the ward “the whole business went swimmingly,stone removed and tonight I am having a hula!”

I have now written asking for a full report as obviously it is my body and I want to know exactly how this problem was resolved,and how assured I am of a complete recovery.
As for the Hospital and my overall treatment I think if I am honest I would liken it to that of a third world Hospital.
Just after a Bank holiday it was simply manic.and left much to be desired.

However for anyone undergoing this treatment I would say you really have little to fear from the procedure itself.
It follows the path of all operations,you see both the Surgeon or his Registrar plus an anaethetist prior to being taken to theatre where the whole routine and any dangers are pointed out clearly,you sign the consent forms,change into Hospital gown and get taken into Theatre.

I was in theatre some 2 hours although I believe an hour is more the "norm"

You spend some time in recovery afterwards where your “obs” are monitored every 15 minutes and then wheeled back to your bay,where your "obs" continue to be monitored at lesser intervals.
You are offered water to sip.
and ordered to pass water.........then you are free to go.
That really is about it.

I have had quite a sore throat following this procedure, but even that has now improved.

So for all of you that maybe in need of similar I would suggest you go for it with a good heart.,and I wish you all well.

A big thank you all for your kind good wishes beforehand,it was a real boost.......and much appreciated.

Luckygirl Sat 02-Jun-18 10:53:34

What brilliant news! - I am so glad that it all went well for you and hope that this will be the end of the saga and you will stay healthy from now on. What a relief for you.

I am still awaiting my results, although know that the consultant has it on his desk - but he is on holiday! The secretary looked at it as I have a problem with getting travel insurance; but she said she could not tell me anything, unless it had been normal!!! He's back on Weds, so I await some message!!

Willow500 Sat 02-Jun-18 11:41:59

Panache that's great news - so pleased it's been successful and you can now start the recovery process. I'll be sure to let my SIL know too. Thank you for the update.

mcem Sat 02-Jun-18 12:39:05

Good news panache but sorry your hospital experience was rough.
I'm about to be picked up by DD following my hip repair and couldn't have had better treatment.
Ortho ward post-op was very busy but a superbly efficient team were on top of everything.
I was then moved to a quiet ward as I didn't need trauma care - it so happened that there were places in the Neuro ward. Light spacious and airy with delightful supportive staff.
A couple of days of convalescence, focussing on aftercare and fairly intensive physio and I 'm confidently and comfortably looking forward to going home.
I sincerely wish all hospital stays were as praiseworthy.
Credit where it's due - well done NHS Scotland.

silverlining48 Sat 02-Jun-18 12:42:34

So pleased all went well panache but hope you get clearer more helpful feedback.

DanniRae Sat 02-Jun-18 16:38:36

So glad all went well for you Panache and mcem.... here are some flowers for you both smile

Panache Thu 07-Jun-18 17:25:50

Good afternoon and an update re my E.R.C.P........

Some much needed news direct from the surgeon whom carried out the above........... it was not just a diagnostic procedure apparently, but in fact he carried out a full therapeutic procedure which involved a Sphincterotomy, thereby hoping to avoid a further blockage in the biliary tree.

This is good news and satifies my very inquisitive mind.
Hopefully there will be no further blockages and I can, in time, forget this sorry business.

I hope that for those of you awaiting similar will get the same satisfactory results.

These Surgeons are certainly worth their weight in gold.

Willow500 Thu 07-Jun-18 17:31:27

That's wonderful news - sounds like a great surgeon smile