Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract operation

(30 Posts)
gerry86 Sun 03-Jun-18 10:00:33

A few weeks ago I posted about my nervousness in having a cataract removed, pleased to say I had it done yesterday and I really don't know why I was so worried. The procedure was very quick and painless and I can already see a bit better out of the affected eye. To anyone who is putting off having this done I would say go for it, I thought it was easier than going to the dentist for a filing. Thank you all who posted to re-assure me.

wildswan16 Sun 03-Jun-18 10:08:42

So glad it went well for you. Its normal to be nervous but we all then feel a bit daft when there was no need to be. Hope your experience helps others who have their cataract removal in the future.

Grandma70s Sun 03-Jun-18 10:10:29

I was coming round to this point of view, but when I went to see the consultant he told me I also have a condition which means my corneas are deteriorating, and this makes cataract surgery more difficult and risky. He quoted 80% success rate - that is, of doing the cataract surgery without doing further damage to the cornea. I have opted to risk it, but I am very frightened. I was scared of cataract surgery before, but now I think a straightforward cataract op would be a doddle in comparison!

gerry86 Sun 03-Jun-18 10:33:33

When I went for my consultation my blood pressure was a bit high (nerves again) so the consultant suggested I went to my GP and ask him to prescribe a mild sedative to take the night before and the morning of the surgery to make sure it wasn't too high on the day which I did. I don't really know if it had an effect as I felt exactly the same as always but it may help you.

mcem Sun 03-Jun-18 10:48:47

So glad you're happy gerry.
I may be one of the grans who encouraged you to 'go for it'! Welcome to the club!
Go on spreading the word.
Sorry to hear about your problem granny70

BlueBelle Sun 03-Jun-18 10:54:41

Well done I d love it done but my consultant has decided I’m a bit of a risk ( have other eye problems) so until it becomes a problem to my day to say living it’s best to avoid
I m so jealous but happy that’s it’s been a brilliant result for you and just about everyone else who’s had it

Patsy70 Tue 19-Jun-18 09:38:44

Delighted to hear this Gerry. I logged on this morning, hoping to find information from someone who'd had this surgery, and lo and behold here it is! I'm having my left eye done on Sunday and just needed some more reassurance. So sorry for those who are having other problems. Good luck Grandma70s - let us know how you get on.

mcem Tue 19-Jun-18 09:46:53

patsy I 've said it before but here I go again!
Fear of the unknown is completely understandable and I admit I took the valium I was offered first time BUT the second time there was no need as I was confident and knew all would be well.
You will not see or experience anything scary or painful and will enjoy the results!
Good luck. Please get back to us.

Smithy Tue 19-Jun-18 10:26:30

I'm ln the same boat as you Bluebelle, I have other eye problems and they are discouraging me from having the cataract removed. So I know exactly how you feel.

Patsy70 Wed 20-Jun-18 20:52:18

Thank you, mcem. My appointment has now been changed to Saturday at 7.30am. One thing that is troubling me at the moment is the fact that I appear to have a stye on the eye that is being operated on! My local pharmacist recommended that I just keep it clean, bathing it, using sterile pads & boiled water. Hopefully, by Saturday, this will have disappeared. I can't wait to have this procedure as my sight is becoming more fuzzy each day. I will definitely get back to you.

mcem Wed 20-Jun-18 21:05:30

Ah, that's a pity. Hope it's all clear for your op.

natnatroswell22 Tue 03-Jul-18 11:22:18

So glad your operation went well. Yeah it's normal to feel worried sometimes but you don't have to. God bless!

Patsy70 Tue 10-Jul-18 22:41:14

I had this surgery just over two weeks ago now. Whilst I found the operation to be painless and without any discomfort, I did find the whole experience quite strange, which I think was possibly due to my over-active imagination! I have always been rather squeamish about eyes! Anyway, I can honestly say that at present (and I suppose it is early days) the only change is that everything viewed with the left eye is lighter, but not more defined. I have a follow up appointment on Sunday, so will report back!

Patsy70 Mon 13-Aug-18 21:02:24

Well, according to the consultant the surgery has been successful. The sight has definitely improved, so I will go ahead and have my right eye done. However, my left eye is now very bloodshot, so not sure why this should be.

mcem Mon 13-Aug-18 21:37:47

Well done Patsy.
The weather forecast says that the sun will return next week. If it does, be sure to wear sunglasses as you may need a little more protection.

SueSocks Mon 13-Aug-18 21:47:01

I have had both eyes done, best thing I ever did. I suffer from anxiety and so had sedation for both ops. Totally painless & my distance sight improved immediately, the colours are so bright!!
Patsy70, I also had a badly bloodshot eye. I phoned the matron of the Eye Suite to seek advice, she spoke to a consultant who said it was nothing to worry about. If you are worried maybe phone the hospital to get advice. Pleased that you are noticing improvements already.

Grandma70s Tue 14-Aug-18 08:04:53

I haven’t had the op yet. I was just on the brink of it, checked in, waiting for the first lot of eye drops, when the surgeon came in and said apologetically that he couldn’t do it because my blood pressure was sky-high. So I was sent home, with my son who had taken time off work and come 200 miles be with me. Now trying to get the right medication to bring my BP down, and then I can be readmitted.

You can imagine how I felt.

mcem Tue 14-Aug-18 08:16:27

Sorry to hear that. First things first! Sort out the BP and things will soon look brighter!!

Patsy70 Tue 14-Aug-18 10:11:54

Thank you SueSocks, that is encouraging, as I was a little bit concerned. Yes, I do wear sunglasses. My eyes do get itchy, probably because I spend lots of my time gardening!
Sorry to hear about your high BP, Grandma, but hope you don't have to wait too long for your surgery.

gerry86 Tue 14-Aug-18 18:49:14

I was the one to start this thread as I had put off having the op for far too long and my sight in one eye was really bad, but what a difference within days. I had the second done a week ago and all's good. Good for you Patsy70, as you say the op is really easy, hope you get yours done soon Grandma 70s. To anyone else who's nervous about it, go for it.

Polly50 Sun 19-Aug-18 10:38:35

Had my first cataract surgery last Weds- 15th August. Very nervous beforehand, BP sky high but it settled by the second time of asking! Everyone was very kind and caring but, although it was not at all painful and only lasted about 10 minutes, I found the whole procedure very unpleasant.
The immediate improvement in vision in the operated eye is miraculous (NHS op, monofocal lens set for distance) and the eye is clean with only mild headaches for the first few days.
Sadly, the new eyesight doesn't work well with the unoperated eye, with or without original glasses. (The advised 'just pop out the glass over the operated eye' leads to horrendous double vision at far and intermediate distances.)
I now feel very vulnerable, hesitant about going out at all, wary of driving and struggling to read. (Currently using old glasses with clear glass over operated eye and ignoring the mild double vision that is present close up).
Despondent. Wondering how I am going to function in the weeks/months before check-up and before and after second lens replacement.

mcem Sun 19-Aug-18 21:31:32

On polly I wish you lived up here!
My second cataract was far from urgent but my consultant said that the discrepancy between the good and the not so good eyes would be very uncomfortable and, given that it would need to be done eventually, he'd go ahead with second op asap. It was done within 2 months, giving time to get over the first, but that interim period was difficult and I sympathise.

Patsy70 Sun 19-Aug-18 21:35:09

It is very early days, Polly, and I have had a similar experience. However, after 8 weeks, I am really starting to see some improvement. Apparently, it takes longer for some people. According to the consultant I saw 4 weeks following the procedure, the surgery has been successful. I'm sure you'll be fine in a few weeks. Don't despair!

Polly50 Wed 22-Aug-18 18:03:53

Hi, thank you for all the kind words. Found a different optometrist who was willing to help. She fitted a contact lens to my unoperated eye and vision is restored - not perfect but perfectly adequate. I was able to go for a drive to the park and see the flowers. I feel so much better! Sunglasses and reading glasses from the pound shop and I'm all set for next few weeks. smile

mcem Wed 22-Aug-18 18:08:24

Well done polly- good solution.
Hope that the second op is done pdq and wishing you well in the interim.