Gransnet forums

Health

Drugs for depression

(26 Posts)
Smurf52 Tue 10-Jul-18 20:04:31

I have been given citalopram, sertraline and now fluoxetine (Prozac) all lowish doses. I tried each for 2 months. Nothing has helped. I still can’t get out of bed in the morning and sleep off and on all day. Everything that happens in my life is insurmountable. I find it hard to cope. I dont want to go out. I try and pull myself together but it’s hard.
Has anyone taken any antidepressant that have actually worked for them and at what dose?

muffinthemoo Tue 10-Jul-18 20:09:47

Yes. Venlafaxine 150mg, extended release, once per day.

It has literally changed my life. I am still awestruck sometimes at how completely different my whole world is just because I take a wee pill.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Jul-18 20:55:06

You have not yet found the right treatment or dosage that suits you so please do keep talking with your GP.

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 10-Jul-18 21:08:02

I’m surprised they didn’t raise the dose before changing your pills.
My DD 1 has been on one type for some years now, but it was a long time before they found one that suited her.
Go back to the GP, There is something out there that will make you feel better.

Smurf52 Tue 10-Jul-18 23:15:45

Thanks all.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Jul-18 23:26:49

'They' say it can take 6 weeks to feel the affect, so two months doesn't seem very long, assuming you started on a low dose?
I take citalopram, but the dose was upped after a month or so, and then I started to slowly feel a little better.
I hope you can find something which does the trick.

Jane10 Wed 11-Jul-18 07:15:01

I know you'll know this already but physical exercise, just getting out in nature is a proven way of helping when you're feeling so depressed. Is there any way you could manage a short walk or even to sit out in a garden? Sympathetic company and/or an absorbing, distracting task can help too. All in addition to the best medication for you.
I hope life feels brighter for you soon.

Teetime Wed 11-Jul-18 09:09:04

Smurf62 I am so sorry you are feeling like this and I do know what its like having been there some years ago. I took Fluoxetine for five years and it really helped but it did take a long while to kick in. In the early days when it didn't seem to be working I was fortunate enough to get some counselling paid for by work (just as well as they caused most of the problem) can you get some additional help via your GP.

Nowadays I find some self administered CBT style thinking helps me. I hope you are feeling better soon. xx

HughFennell Thu 19-Jul-18 10:05:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Luckygirl Thu 19-Jul-18 10:30:36

Please do not buy anything over the counter or online. Depression can be a very serious, and indeed life-threatening, illness and needs proper treatment by a medically qualified person who has full access to the details of other medication you might be on.

Other things to try, like exercise etc., will not work on their own if you have a true depressive illness. One of the symptoms of depression is not being able to initiate such activities.

I hope your GP is able to help you find the right treatment for you. I am sorry you are suffering from this debilitating illness.

muffinthemoo Thu 19-Jul-18 20:48:47

I reported Hugh’s pish.

See a doctor before taking anything for mood problems.

Self medication for medical illness is a mug’s game, and these people prey on the vulnerable.

natnatroswell22 Thu 26-Jul-18 09:29:17

Sometimes you don't need drugs to survive it. You just have to talk to someone to release all your burdens and the pain you are feeling. But I hope for your fast recovery. God bless!

ToadsMum Mon 30-Jul-18 10:34:37

I think the ones you have tried are all SSRI? I tried several of those before my GP realised I needed «old school» tricyclic antidepressants (TCA). He gave me lofepramine and over the years we were able to move dosage up and down depending on my symptoms and it made a big difference on Day to day level meaning I could function. This was then all supported by a great (private) counsellor/therapist but also GP arranged for course of CBT which helped too.

henetha Mon 30-Jul-18 10:42:26

I just wonder if you stayed on any of them for long enough, and at a sufficient dosage. They take time to work.
Sounds to me like you need counselling too. I do hope you find a way out of this. I know how hard it is to climb out of the black pit, but it can be done. Good luck.

Nonnie Mon 30-Jul-18 11:25:52

Venlaxafine has contraindications for older people so might be a good idea to discuss that with your doctor,

It sounds to me that you are too poorly to do any of the things people suggest, like going for a walk, so don't beat yourself up about what you can't do just keep on keeping on in the short term but I urge you to go back to the doc sooner rather than later.

MoodGym is supposed to be a good thing to help but, like all these things, some like it and some don't.

I think it is hard for a GP to assess how ill a person with depression is so it is often necessary to go back several times before they realise the severity of the situation. Perhaps you could explain how you feel, do you cry a lot? Are you beyond crying? Would winning the lottery make you feel better? Tell him/her what the issues are which you are unable to cope with and let him/her decide what you need to help you deal with it.

flowers I wish you well and encourage you to pour out your heart on here, it won't do any harm and might just help a bit.

paddyann Mon 30-Jul-18 13:05:49

After the 2 years from hell which included losing two parents in 4 weeks ,my OH 's heart attacks ,both AC 's marriages breaking down(both their partners were cheating on them) and other stuff I was so depressed that I wanted to go to sleep and not wake up.
I've never been one who takes pills if I can avoid them but my GP prescribed Mirtazapine (sp?) and they really helped pull me back from the brink .I know that no drug suits everyone but might be worth asking your GP about this one .I was on it for over a year ,came off without problems and am back to being me .

BlueBelle Mon 30-Jul-18 13:16:06

I do think a lot depends on if you are clinically depressed when your own chemicals are not working fully and need ‘recharging’ or boosting or whether it’s a reactionary depression which is brought on my an event which can be greatly helped by talking/counselling, sometimes group work, CBT exercise etc etc
It does sound as if 8 weeks is a very short time to judge the success of each tablet is and I wonder is your GP up to date with mental heath issues not all doctors are as good as others

hopeful1 Sat 04-Aug-18 19:47:17

I've been on Citalopram for about 10 years and it works for me. I go up and down with the dose depending how I feel, with the consent of my GP. Perhaps you haven't been on anything long enough, it takes up to 3 months to see any significant improvement. Best wishes.

Mary59nana Tue 14-Aug-18 10:58:10

Was on Citalopram
19year felt normal and it got me through difficult times
But 2 months ago dr advised me to reduced the dose by half was taking 10 mg a day
So half tab fir month then half every other day for month
I feel like I don’t want to get out of bed
Sad
Tired so will be seeing my dr this week about going back on

Lynne59 Tue 14-Aug-18 12:49:09

I've been on Citalopram for years and they suit me. My eldest son was on them, then Sertraline, now Mirtazapine, and he's back to his normal self.

See your doctor again, as you obviously need something different.

The exercise and fresh air will help, but when you're feeling so low, of course, you can't do that. You need to feel better and able to get on with your normal daily life first. It's a struggle I remember so well. You WILL get there x

Mary59nana Tue 14-Aug-18 12:53:06

Thank you lynne59
I’m seeing GP at 3.30 today
Her reason for me to come off them was it’s not good for the liver
Well Iv tried but I know my body and I want to go back on them and start skipping again

Smurf52 Sun 19-Aug-18 14:26:38

Thanks all for your support. I am taking vitamin B12 now as someone says it’s a good supplement for fatigue and tiredness. I am also on Venlafaxine as recommended by muffinthemoo.

I have mentioned to my GP regarding my age and the tablets as nonnie mentioned and she will monitor me. If the Venlafaxine doesn’t work I may ask my GP to go back to the earlier tabs and trying them longer than 2 months as several of you have commented on.

annsixty Sun 19-Aug-18 14:59:33

My H who has dementia also very acute anxiety and agitation has just been started on Mirtazipine during this last week.
He is on 7.5 mgs for two weeks and then goes into 15.
I am hoping for an improvement in his mood.

oldbatty Sun 19-Aug-18 17:50:17

I was told ,apparently there is a little known rule that says if you have unsuccessfully tried 2 types of antidepressant, you are entitled to ask your GP for an appointment with a Psychiatrist?
Worth a try?

Smurf52 Mon 20-Aug-18 11:49:32

oldbatty I didn’t know that. Will be worth mentioning at next GP appointment.