Gransnet forums

Health

Night cramp

(34 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Thu 26-Jul-18 05:17:52

I usually get terrible thigh cramp if I've been eating salty food , I sorted that out by cutting down and upping water . But , yikes , the last 4 nights have been awful despite drinking lots of water all day and throughout the night - I'm now dreading bedtime ! I've tried stretching before bed , massaging before and during attacks , used a damp cold cloth last night that seemed to ease things . Any other tips?

giulia Thu 26-Jul-18 05:56:18

I know you aren't going to believe this but it's tried and proven (my husband has been doing it for years: place a cork under your pillow at night.

Also, eat at least two bananas a day.

Another (not tried but have read about) is a piece of Marseilles soap at he base of the bed, under the bottom sheet.

OldMeg Thu 26-Jul-18 06:48:38

?

MawBroon Thu 26-Jul-18 06:50:31

I know exactly how you feel as I have had crippling inner thigh cramps which are incredibly painful and still aching the next day.
It is almost certainly dehydration aggravated by the current hot weather I am afraid! Perhaps you are cutting crack too much on salt though, because we are all sweating much more in this weather and those who take diuretics (Furosemide) will find if you increase those it can aggravate it too as you “wash”more salts out of your body causing mineral depletion.
The bananas may work as they contain potassium or better still, magnesium tablets.
It can also be a sign of nerve or thyroid disorders or alcohol related liver disease - but only you would know if you are on the ??? and I suspect not!
So, much more hydration plus magnesium tablets should solve it - and perhaps cooler weather.

MawBroon Thu 26-Jul-18 06:51:54

Good grief - what is my iPad on?
Cutting back - no illegal substances please ???

Marydoll Thu 26-Jul-18 06:57:21

I was suffering from bad night cramps and asked if I was on statins, ( which I'm not). It seems that they can cause cramps if taken with certain medication.

NanKate Thu 26-Jul-18 07:07:13

I wonder if this would help you tow I too have pain in my one leg for different reasons, what helps me is to sleep with this leg on a soft cushion/pillow which slightly raises my leg and takes pressure off the painful area. It’s worth a try.

Elizabeth1 Thu 26-Jul-18 07:53:28

My husband swears drinking tonic water with quinine stops any cramp he may have after a game of golf. My sister was prescribed quinine tablets to help alleviate any cramp she might have had through the night.

sodapop Thu 26-Jul-18 08:35:23

I suffer from this at any time of day or night. Sitting on hard chairs often sets it off. I drink water mainly throughout the day so have found a bottled water which contains extra magnesium and this helps.

Teetime Thu 26-Jul-18 09:29:59

I think if these cramps are painful, persistent and disturbing your sleep you would be wise to consult your GP before you try supplements prescribed by a non physician. The GP may want to take a blood test which may well be skewed by supplements which also may not be appropriate to mix with any other medication you may be taking. It should go without saying that we need to increase our fluid intake in this hot weather but sadly it isn't - A & E's are filling up with the dehydrated. I hope you get some relief soon.

Fennel Thu 26-Jul-18 09:34:59

My friend asked her Dr. about this and he prescribed a supplement which worked. ?Magnesium?
Don't take my word for it, ask.

MawBroon Thu 26-Jul-18 09:53:55

A fellow Gransnetter, a retired doctor, also recommended magnesium tablets.

NanKate Thu 26-Jul-18 21:12:40

There are side effects with the quinine is tonic water which will only affect some people e.g. causes or makes tinnitus worse. Sadly that is why I avoid any tonic water. Sorry to put the mockers on things.

Please look it up online if you doubt me.

janeainsworth Thu 26-Jul-18 21:17:19

I agree with mawbroon, you may have cut the salt out too much tow.
When we lived in Hongkong where it’s very hot in the summer, we were advised to take salt tablets to replace the salt we lost through sweating. hmm

Menopaws Thu 26-Jul-18 21:40:10

Magnesium tablets or tissue salts

stella1949 Fri 27-Jul-18 01:25:22

Magnesium powder in half a glass of tonic water will cure the cramps. My husband had a terrible time with cramps until the doc recommended this.

tiredoldwoman Fri 27-Jul-18 06:18:59

Well I never ! No cramp last night .. I put the bar of soap under the sheet, hadn't sweated as much during the day and had eaten at 8 rather than 5 pm ( due to dentist visit and frozen face ! ) so maybe the combination worked ?
After 5 nights of dread and lack of sleep I've woken up refreshed and without that hangover of aches .
Thank you all . I'm going shopping for magnesium, bananas, tonic water and a bottle of wine ( as I need a cork !) x .

OldMeg Fri 27-Jul-18 07:00:31

That’s good to read tow ??

sodapop Fri 27-Jul-18 08:41:43

That's good tiredoldwoman but now you will never know which cure helped ?
Enjoy your cramp free day.

Marydoll Fri 27-Jul-18 20:01:31

A testament to the power of Gransnett:
Today, after reading this thread, I took myself off to Asda.
In the middle of the car park, I was struck down by CRAMP in my foot and leg. I was frozen to the spot. ? Not having experienced cramp in two years, I found it all a bit disconcerting, to say the least!☺️

barbh Sat 28-Jul-18 14:57:41

Speaking of... I suffered very painful (excruciatingly painful at times) foot and calf cramps for many years - mostly during the early hours, usually brought on by inadvertent stretching while still asleep - but since starting taking one quinine sulphate tablet before bed at night for several years, night cramps have become rare, thank goodness. I've been told that quinine can have various side effects, as can all prescribed medications if you read the leaflet which comes with the box, but I'd rather take a quinine tab at night, in full expectation that the sudden screaming agony of distorting cramp will remain a thing of the past . Try it for yourself.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 28-Jul-18 15:34:42

My Mum always had a small net bag with corks in the bottom of her bed, she never got cramp whilst the corks were there.

natnatroswell22 Mon 30-Jul-18 03:48:36

I know how that feels. It's very horrible. I just drink lots of water a day to keep myself hydrated and also eat bananas for magnesium and it works.

Doodle Mon 30-Jul-18 19:59:08

My DH has taken quinine tablets for years to help with his cramp.

nankate I drink lots of tonic water and suffer from tinnitus. I have never heard of a link between the two. I must look that up. Thanks for the tip.

natnatroswell22 Wed 08-Aug-18 08:24:58

@Doodle Do quinine tablets really work?