Gransnet forums

Health

How to lose weight?

(86 Posts)
granschemeofthings Fri 03-Aug-18 14:26:03

I've always been fairly ordinary in terms of weight. But since my 50s my weight has crept steadily up. I'm now well...quite a bit larger blush and over the past year or so I've been trying to lose a bit of weight. I look after my grandsons twice a week which is exhausting and I think I'm quite active those days. I do one Pilates class a week. I do have a sweet tooth so am trying to have fruit instead and save treats for the weekend (although occasionally I'll share my boys' treats grin. Does anyone have any good tips? Does the 5:2 diet work? I hate gyms.

loopyloo Sun 11-Nov-18 12:12:12

Have been to WW SW and tried all sorts of diets over the years. Now I weigh myself every morning and try to eat less whenever I do eat. And try to keep to 3 meals a day with a little snack if necessary. It's slow but it's slowly coming off.
Also realising I eat because I'm bored so getting out more. I think psychological factors play a big part.

Mania Mon 19-Nov-18 22:07:56

Considering your age such situation with weight is sadly a typical thing because during aging your metabolism changes too and becomes slower so many people gain weight after their 40-50s. Because of that it can harder to lose weight too but it's possible, I know many such examples and people who are in a really good shape despite of their age! smile
Your programm for weight loss seems ok but I can recommend to use such tips in addition:
- don't skip your breakfast because avoiding it usually leads to eating more throughout the day
- never eat at night and before sleeping, it's bad for your stomach and weight too, also avoid mindless snacking while watching television and so on
- vegetables and fruits should be a base of your daily menu, not meat and other products with high calories www.healthline.com/nutrition/lose-10-pounds-in-a-month
- add protein for every of your snacks and meals, such products as lean meats, eggs, peanut butter, low-fat yogurt, nuts, beans etc. are perfect for this

Also I think that you need to add more exercises in your regular schedule. You don't need to go to the gym, choose the one activity you like the most of all like yoga for example or a basic fitness complex and make it reguraly. Swimming, walking and running are very helpful in this case too.
I should mention that sometimes problems with weight loss are connected with hormonal imbalance which can be an aftermarth of the aging too. It usually can be fixed in many natural ways but in some cases only professional medical treatment is helpful www.nexelmedical.com/ .

Baggs Tue 20-Nov-18 05:59:41

nependental, what does early morning green tea do?

sunrisedental815 Wed 21-Nov-18 08:47:11

There are various tips for weight loss-
1-Cardio and Jim
2-Running
3-Drink Water
4-Drink Cofee or tea
5-Low carbs carb Vegitables

jite788 Wed 06-Nov-19 14:37:54

Exercise and walking are important but a healthy diet plan and helpful weight loss tools also help in getting a good result. I have used a resource (http://bit.ly/fat-losss) which really helped me to drop my weight.

PernillaVanilla Mon 11-Nov-19 13:11:03

I have most success on a lowish carb diet - I need to have some potato or rice from time to time otherwise I feel quite ill. I combine this with logging what I eat on Myfitness pal and basically eating three modest meals and no snacks at all. I'm quite active and lose between 1 and 2 lb consistently on this regime. I only weigh myself once a week, sometimes a little bit more, as long as the scales are going downwards it doesn't really matter at what rate.

Jeff1 Sun 24-Nov-19 04:07:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jeff334 Sun 24-Nov-19 14:58:33

JaneOgden91fCL Thu 17-Sep-20 10:17:22

Barmeyoldbat Thu 17-Sep-20 10:50:54

You have to eat less and exercise more, there just isn't any other way. I keep my weight down by not buying biscuits, cakes or sweets. My treat is to go out and have coffee, just sometimes a cake or biscuit but mostly I would have a childs portion of beans on toast. Might be strange but it works. Also cycle and I can say with hand on heart my legs look the best they have done, tones and straight.