Gransnet forums

Health

How to lose weight?

(85 Posts)
granschemeofthings Fri 03-Aug-18 14:26:03

I've always been fairly ordinary in terms of weight. But since my 50s my weight has crept steadily up. I'm now well...quite a bit larger blush and over the past year or so I've been trying to lose a bit of weight. I look after my grandsons twice a week which is exhausting and I think I'm quite active those days. I do one Pilates class a week. I do have a sweet tooth so am trying to have fruit instead and save treats for the weekend (although occasionally I'll share my boys' treats grin. Does anyone have any good tips? Does the 5:2 diet work? I hate gyms.

Jane10 Fri 03-Aug-18 14:28:10

The 16:8 certainly works. Check the threads about it. I'm not currently doing it due to having to take various meds but hope to get back to it.

Marmark1 Fri 03-Aug-18 14:37:44

Well,it’s basically eating less energy than you use.Three sensible meals a day and no picking in between.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 03-Aug-18 14:43:41

Yes, the 5:2 works. It suits me because I don't like cooking and have never tried the recipe books for the 5:2 (can't see the point). I just eat fruit and vegetables, weighed and noted down using my old F-Plan calorie list, and Tesco's cup soups, which are lowish in calories. You only do one day at a time, so you don't have to get all bothered about keeping your diet balanced. You go to bed knowing that if you wake up desperate for a chocolate biscuit after midnight, you can have one, but you never do!

Good luck flowers

merlotgran Fri 03-Aug-18 14:44:15

Weight Watchers online works for me. No meetings or anything like that just a good way of tracking what you eat so you can plan your meals/shopping etc. Points allowed are tied in with the calorie content of each foodstuff so all calculations are done for your. I can't be bothered with calorie counting so it suits me fine.

Nice recipes to choose from and the smartphone app has a scanner so if you're out shopping you can check the points value of an item before buying it. The app also pairs with a fitbit so you can log your activity.

I've lost 16lbs since the beginning of May so can highly recommend it.

granschemeofthings Fri 03-Aug-18 16:28:53

Oh, how does the 16:8 work Jane10? I'd not heard of that one yet.

I'm not sure I can handle a whole day of eating so little wheniwasyourage!

That's very impressive merlotgran. I like the idea of all the calculations being done for you. I think if it's going to be a long-term thing it needs to be uncomplicated and easy to maintain.

shysal Fri 03-Aug-18 16:36:10

Every weight loss regime works as long as you stick to it! I did very well in the past with alternate day fasting. I need to start again but waiting till I have been weaned off steroids.
Good luck!

NanTheWiser Fri 03-Aug-18 17:00:50

For me, it is following a low-carb, high-fat way of eating. As we age, and acquire the old "middle age spread", this is frequently due to insulin resistance. Our bodies' cells become resistant to the insulin put out by the pancreas, and this is slowly laid down as fat (insulin is the "fat" hormone). The best way to deal with this is by reducing the amount of carbs (which turn into glucose in the blood), thus reducing insulin resistance.
I lost 23 lbs over the course of 6 months without any problem by following this way of eating, and I continue to eat this way.
It means cutting out or down drastically potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and baked goods such as cakes. You replace the sugar your body was using for energy, with plenty of healthy fats, and you don't feel hungry! Your sweet tooth will disappear, so you won't get the "munchies".
Also known as the ketogenic diet, it is now being followed by savvy diabetics to keep their blood glucose in normal ranges, and enabling them to stop medication in many cases.
I thought it would be difficult to do, but far from it, I much prefer this way of eating.

HildaW Fri 03-Aug-18 17:28:15

I think the trick is to understand your own motivations. In an episode of 'Trust me I'm a Doctor' they showed that so called 'Will Power' is a very fragile thing and few of us are able to deny ourselves the treats we need to get through our lives. What worked for me was to take up a physical activity under supervision and to find that my motivation changed. If I had worked really hard I was reluctant to 'undo' the hard work by eating food I honestly did not need. I find it easier to get up and do something rather than to sit there and try to fend off the voices in my head. Denial (saying I can't have such and such)is not a good tool for me....getting up and going for a walk or doing some exercises is. With me I always have to be realistic too...setting myself up for failure is a big mistake. Hence I will decide to do 10 minutes of my exercises, then find I've actually done 20 minutes...rather than keep thinking I must set aside an hour....think about it all day, not do it, feel guilty and put it off for another few days.
Small victories really help, as I got down from nearly a size 18 to a 12/14 (depending on the shop) I have bought a few new clothes and it gives me the strength to not want to creep back up. I've mentioned before that having a smaller plate helps...when its just me and OH I always use one of 'my' plates and I can honestly say I feel as if I've had plenty!

Riverwalk Fri 03-Aug-18 18:12:31

I too hate gyms. I'm afraid that looking after GS and a Pilates class will not reduce your weight - if only!

I follow a low-carb diet, in the main. Any weight-reducing diet works, if you stick with it - you just need to eat less overall.

Jane10 Fri 03-Aug-18 18:14:42

Just Google 16:8 I've already explained it in previous thread. It works, is foolproof and is uncomplicated with no need to buy or organise special food.

mcem Fri 03-Aug-18 18:35:25

I'm with jane.
Eat what you like ( but sensibly) .
Breakfast late and dinner early.
If that has caught your interest follow the advice you''ll find on the threads mentioned.

Riverwalk Fri 03-Aug-18 18:37:21

Jane I remember when you started your diet - how much weight did you lose? I'm genuinely interested in the science of how various diets work.

Do you feel that you ate less overall?

Jane10 Fri 03-Aug-18 20:23:53

I never measured my weight. I just found that the tops of my legs mysteriously reduced then my tum disappeared and I just seemed to change shape.
I don't think I ate less just within a different timescale. It works!

Omaoma57 Sat 04-Aug-18 09:11:45

I am also LCHF, low carb high fat and have been following this way of eating for nearly a year! I have dropped over 40 lbs and now sleep all night, no joint pain and no brain fog. I go to a dance class again plus other fun classes and can run up the stairs again! I had tried every other way of losing weight but always found it again!

Daisyboots Sat 04-Aug-18 09:22:33

I am with you on this way of eating NanTheWiser. I feel so mych better for it and so much easier than counting calories etc. If I have a taste of something very sweet now it tastes horrible.

Daisyboots Sat 04-Aug-18 09:29:12

I also tend to stick to the 16:8 way of eating too. So we only eat between 12 noon and 8 pm and just the two meals no snacking.

BRedhead59 Sat 04-Aug-18 09:36:23

Simples - eat less + move more ( pot calling kettle!)

Diggingdoris Sat 04-Aug-18 09:54:48

I've cut down on bread and potatoes, which has helped, though it's mind over matter, and if you want to seriously do it you have to say no when tempted with sweet things. My family bought me a fit bit for my birthday and I make sure I'm doing 10k steps every day which has helped me lose 1lb a week. I'm planning to lose it slowly and keep it off, rather than lose a lot quickly and put it all back on as I have in the past.
Good luck, it's hard but worth it to avoid health issues later on. My Mum developed type 2 diabetes at my age and I don't want history repeating itself.

kazziecookie Sat 04-Aug-18 09:59:38

I’ve lost 3 stone going to SlimmingWorld

Kim19 Sat 04-Aug-18 10:07:28

I've had success with this. Eating less (small plates, if you like). Snacking more than meals. Aiming for 1lb a week loss. Found too ambitious was self defeating. 16:8 works for me. Introduced to it on here. Nothing is prohibited - just less of it. Slowly but surely I lost 4 stones over 18 months. I've kept it off for 8 months now and see no possibility of returning to former unfit/unhealthy state. Anyway..... here's hoping!

Hm999 Sat 04-Aug-18 10:19:22

I'm with NantheWiser here. Keto is great and easy and your sweet tooth urges diminish after a week or 2.

GabriellaG Sat 04-Aug-18 10:23:40

Eat less, exercise more. No other way.

labazs Sat 04-Aug-18 11:04:16

slimming world is not a diet its a way of life and is brilliant i have got down from a 24 size to a 16 and still going

Thirdinline Sat 04-Aug-18 11:10:04

I put on weight when I had sciatica and couldn’t move much. I went to Slimming World with a friend at absolutely loved it. Can honestly say I never felt hungry because of all the free foods you can fill up on. It’s a very sociable thing too as you’ll meet others who are probably in the same boat as you. Before long you’ll be meeting up with another SWer who’s looking after their grandchildren in the week and comparing your favourite low sun sweet treats. I haven’t been overweight in the 3 years since I first went, because I still follow the SW basics, they’re so straightforward and I know they work.