Gransnet forums

Health

Can anyone shed light on this year’s flu vaccine?

(118 Posts)
Katek Wed 03-Oct-18 10:44:05

I’m off for my flu vaccine this afternoon and have had it explained by the practice nurse that age 18-64 are receiving 4 in 1 vaccine, 65-75 a 3 in 1 and over 75 a different 3 in 1. (This is in Scotland)

What happens at 65 that we don’t seem need the 4 in 1 and what happens again at 75 that we need yet another type?!

Which strains are they all covering? I presume that as the 4 in 1 is for under 65 only, this is why some over this cut off point are paying privately to have the 4 strain vaccine for additional protection.

As I have asthma and other chest issues I may be receiving the 4 in 1 despite being over 65. I will find out this afternoon.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:15:29

I knew there was a separate vaccine for over 75s as apparently the normal flu vaccine has been found not to be effective in older people. Apart from that I don't know much about it - except for the fact that the over 75s vaccine is a live one and could make some people feel slightly ill.

It would be interesting to find out more.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:16:19

ps DH was given a one-off pneumonia vaccine a couple of years ago - have you been offered that if you have chest problems?

Katek Wed 03-Oct-18 11:28:28

I have Jalima but thank you for the suggestion. I too would like to know more about it all-need our GN GPs to explain it all!

annodomini Wed 03-Oct-18 11:29:30

Here the over 65s were given the new formula vaccine and under 65s - ie vulnerable people with asthma or other breathing problems - were given the normal one. My friend was told she couldn't have the new vaccine because she is allergic to penicillin; but although I am also allergic to penicillin and this was the same practice, the same morning, I was not told about this and fortunately have survived.

humptydumpty Wed 03-Oct-18 11:43:30

See

www.gov.uk/government/news/new-flu-vaccine-available-this-winter-for-those-aged-65-and-over

Katek Wed 03-Oct-18 11:58:15

Things seem to be different north of the border

www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/16956672.letters-curious-case-of-flu-vaccines-for-older-people/

JanP72 Wed 03-Oct-18 12:07:31

I've had a look around the internet and have found this info:
This year there are 3 types of vaccines available, one for children from age 2 to year 5 infant school, one for aged 18-65 at risk adults, this is a 4 in 1 jab- protects against 4 different strains of flu, and the last vaccine , a 3 in 1 jab is for 65 and over, which includes the over 75 age group. The 3 in 1 has a compound in it that should help trigger an immune reaction to the flu virus...... important because the older you get, the slower your immune system is.
Just one point, the vaccines do not stop you getting the flu, they help your body to build up an immune resistance, so that should you get the flu, it should not be as bad or as debilitating as it would be without the jab.
Hope this helps you to make the decision to have the jab.

bmacca Wed 03-Oct-18 12:17:03

I had my flu jab on Monday and had the over 65s Fluad; according to the nurse this is the most beneficial one as it helps boost your immunity. I did notice it stung and I’ve got a sore red lump now, something I don’t usually get.

grannyticktock Wed 03-Oct-18 12:22:29

I had mine yesterday (I'm in England). It was the new vaccine for 65+, which I was told would give bettter protection at my age (70). I am allergic to penicillin but that wasn't a problem (though eggs might be). I was told there might be more of a local reaction at the site this time, and certainly had a bit of a sore arm the rest of the day, but that's nothing compared with flu!

annodomini Wed 03-Oct-18 12:33:28

I've had a bit of a headache since my jab, but nothing worse. And I might have had a headache anyway!

SueDonim Wed 03-Oct-18 13:22:52

I'm going for my first-ever flu vac today. I'm not old enough (yet!) to have it on the NHS so am paying for it in Boots. Dh is going to get it too, as our local practice seems so disorganised that it looks like he'll never get it from them.

From what I've read, the situation in Scotland is driven not by clinical need but because the NHS powers-that-be left ordering it until the last minute and they're now having to juggle whatever stock they can come up with.

travelsafar Wed 03-Oct-18 14:43:53

How can you tell the difference between flu and a heavy cold??

Nannylovesshopping Wed 03-Oct-18 15:01:26

I had the flu in the early part of this year, it knocked me off my feet completely and utterly, in bed for ten days, and I am a tough old bird, heavy cold, I just blow my nose a lot?

NanKate Wed 03-Oct-18 16:06:56

We had the 3 in 1 for the over 65s today. Our pharmacist who is excellent said the 4 in 1 is not appropriate for us but the 3 in 1 is.

I too am allergic to some penicillin but so far I have had no ill effects. She made us stay in Boots and she had the Epi-pens ready in case either of us had a reaction.

She also said there was a shortage of the jabs and sometime next week she would run out ?

BlueBelle Wed 03-Oct-18 17:46:48

I had mine a couple of weeks ago but my friend went yesterday and they had run out in most of the chemists in my area well all the ones she tried and said it would be November when they could next do them

aggie Wed 03-Oct-18 17:54:24

our surgery has a Flu Jab clinic in the morning for over 65s I am due to go if DIL is available to give me a lift . I had studied the bus timetable but getting a lift will be so much better

kittylester Wed 03-Oct-18 17:55:16

People who have to ask the difference between flu and a heavy cold have never had flu!

ChaosIncorporated Wed 03-Oct-18 17:58:08

^How can you tell the difference between flu and a heavy cold??^

It used to be said that if you could get out of bed/off the sofa to pick up a £10 note from the floor, then it wasn't 'flu.
Having had it twice over the years, I would say that remains a decent rule of thumb ?

mcem Wed 03-Oct-18 18:12:06

Had mine today. It was the 3in1. Practice nurse said the 4in1 is being kept for more vulnerable over 75's as it's in short supply but next year should be available for all who need it. That's in Tayside Scotland.

SueDonim Wed 03-Oct-18 18:54:58

Having had flu last winter, I'd say that if you have to ask the question is it a cold or flu, it's a cold! It floored me completely, I was in bed for the better part of a week.

My Dh has had the Fluad vac while I had the Quadrivalent version, this afternoon. No side effects so far...

The manager of Boots said it's in short supply and they only got their first delivery this morning.

harrigran Wed 03-Oct-18 19:34:08

I was having mine tomorrow but the practice nurse has rung and cancelled as they have not had the vaccine delivered. Nurse will try and do it next week.

watermeadow Thu 04-Oct-18 19:41:04

The 3 in 1 for older people gives a better immune response. Last year’s flu jab was only 30%effective.
Children are given the vaccine only to prevent them passing flu on to old people, who are at most risk of complications.
The majority of health care workers refuse it.
That’s a few facts to help make up your minds.

Barberdice Thu 04-Oct-18 20:41:44

I had got my flu jab booked with Boots for next Monday. They have rung me today to cancel it as they have run out of vaccine. Told me to get in touch to rearrange it for late October. It all seems a bit odd because apparently it takes 2/3 weeks to take effect and we getting to that time of year where we need to be protected. Anyone else had similar problems with vaccine running out.

SueDonim Thu 04-Oct-18 20:55:56

I've got a sore arm today. However, it's on the opposite side to the arm that got jagged so I think it's probably not connected. grin