Gransnet forums

Health

Sharing medical appointments with others.

(85 Posts)
M0nica Sat 06-Oct-18 20:23:21

In the north east they are experimenting with seeing some patients with problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis in groups of up to 15 in sessions that last up to 2 hours. Everyone signs a confidentiality agreement and it is believed it helps people get more information about their condition and has the reassurance that others have the problems they have. They seem to be quite popular.

As I said currently the sessions are up to 2 hours long. Perhaps I am over cynical but I am willing to bet that once the system is established, they will start to chip away at the length of the sessions and eventually they will reduce the sessions to little more than half an hour and all they have time for is a few tests and a quick 'OK everybody?' Cannot take questions today we are running out of time. Why not go over the road to Tesco and discuss your problems over a cup of coffee.'

Candelle Sun 07-Oct-18 11:54:02

I have two concerns regarding this: firstly that some patients would find it impossible to keep confidentiality and would discuss the session with friends and family. At some point, some information would leak out of the group.

Secondly, that there is always a 'top dog' in something such as this. They would hog most of the conversation, ergo, time and more timid members of the group could be overlooked.

Although a decent facilitator could possibly deal with the latter situation, I very much doubt whether all participants would have equal consideration.

goldengirl Sun 07-Oct-18 11:57:12

Glory be! Whose bright idea was this? Even people with similar conditions can be different from each other and some patients may be more dominant than others about their illness. As other posters have mentioned the problem of confidentiality will not be fixed by being told not to share information outside the room! Support groups are different and are handled differently

adaunas Sun 07-Oct-18 11:57:34

Confidentiality? Haha! I have been in positions where confidentiality was essential, and then been approached by the partner of a member or one one occasion a friend of a group member who expressed surprise about/wanted to discuss xxxx (the subject which had been declared confidential.)
I’m with the OP in thinking the appointments would rapidly be cut down - half an hour is probably generous. I think it might end up a quick fifteen minutes with a nurse practitioner or practice nurse and since we currently can’t get an appointment for taking blood samples without having to do a 20 mile round trip to another surgery in the ‘group practice’ . . .

GabriellaG Sun 07-Oct-18 11:59:50

Apparently, all who attend must sign a form agreeing not to disclose to anyone else, any information about any other attendee they may hear during a session.

Anniebach Sun 07-Oct-18 12:04:15

And if anyone does disclose information, what then ?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:29:51

Signing a confidentiality clause won't do the slightest bit of good. Those who habitually neither discuss their own or any one else's affairs will keep their mouths shut anyway. Those who open their mouths before using their brains will trot out information that they should never have been given.

I accompanied my sister to a group information session for cancer patients. It was excellent as general information was given to patients and relatives, but this was over and above private consultations with doctors and nurses.

I can think of a long list of illnesses and conditions that I would not care to discuss in public, as I am sure all of you can too.

It can be hard enough getting answers from medical professionals when you are alone with them, but trying to get time to ask in a group sounds a very bad idea.

keffie Sun 07-Oct-18 12:34:06

I wouldnt use it as my health issues are too personal

Cabbie21 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:36:17

I think my health centre already runs groups for type 2 diabetes as this was hinted at when I was told I was pre- diabetic. Such groups may be ok to talk about diet and a healthy lifestyle, with nurses to check BP and weight, receive specimens, and perhaps a GP available for part of the time for Q and A, but nothing replaces an individual private conversation about particular symptoms.

I felt very privileged to be awarded a whole hour’s consultation with the incontinence nurse, plus two follow up appointments. It felt like a real luxury, and actually out of proportion to my symptoms, but it was lovely to be listened to, checked out and reassured and exercises given. This is obviously a very personal thing, but I think there are very few conditions which can be treated collectively.

Nonnie Sun 07-Oct-18 12:53:12

No one is to be forced to join these groups and everyone can still have a private appointment with the GP. My understanding is that it will only cover things which can be generalised and not anything which is personal or embarrassing. I imagine it to be a sort of guided self-help group.

I have a condition which I would be quite happy to discuss openly with others to see if anyone had helpful advice. I also suffer from insomnia so would be happy to discuss this with a group. Even if someone did talk about me outside the group it wouldn't matter because there is nothing personal in my condition.

I agree that such groups would have one know it all but, who knows, they might have something useful to say.

Craftycat Sun 07-Oct-18 13:14:10

Great idea for certain problems that you can talk about freely. I think it would help doctors & you could get very good tips from other patients.
I'd go if they had one for a problem had- hay-fever, asthma etc.

Saetana Sun 07-Oct-18 13:29:53

This could work for common conditions like arthritic knees or COPD - people don't generally hide these issues in the first place. However, my husband has depression and anxiety in addition to several physical conditions and this would stop him participating in any group like this as it triggers his anxiety. I personally would not trust a group of random strangers to keep confidentiality - however if it was a group about, for example, arthritic knees then it wouldn't bother me anyway. I can't see this being suitable for anything intimate or for mental health issues.

wot Sun 07-Oct-18 14:16:47

I would open up but then regret it because I do share too much already.

codfather Sun 07-Oct-18 14:59:12

Support groups are one thing but public consultations, not on your life!!! I want to discuss my ailments one-to-one, not for all and sundry!

wildswan16 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:49:44

For some issues I think they could be very helpful. When first diagnosed with something like diabetes or asthma, it can be very confusing. A discussion with others about how they manage, what they find helpful, best shops to buy things at, how to look after your feet or your eyes - could all be an added bonus.

Nobody is going to ask you to strip off and show your bits. People attend weight watchers, go to bereavement counselling groups etc. Us ladies tend to gossip about our ailments around the kitchen table or during work lunch-breaks, it really isn't that much different.

Noreen3 Sun 07-Oct-18 16:21:19

no,I wouldn't be happy with this.There would probably be people who have a lot to say for themselves and would dominate it,with quieter people struggling to get a word in.A support group for a specific condition is different and can be a good idea.

SunnySusie Sun 07-Oct-18 16:52:08

I think doctors would need to be specially trained if they were leading such a group. As several people have pointed out group management is quite a skill, you need to be able to encourage quieter members, keep the talkative ones under control and make sure everyone gets 'air time'. I guess one doctor per practice, or group of practices, could train to do it, but probably not practical for every GP. I still have a few reservations though. We live in a lovely village where nearly everyone of course attends the village GP practice, but the un-official grapevine is the most efficient thing about the entire community. I really am not sure people could keep quiet about what might happen in a group appointment, however well intentioned they might be when they signed their confidentiality agreement.

BonnieBlooming Sun 07-Oct-18 17:25:55

A few years ago when I was very unwell with anxiety and depression I was offered group sessions by my local Healthcare Trust. I couldn't think of anything I would have liked less! Already racked with anxiety and low self esteem, the thought of having to talk about it in a room full of strangers horrified me. I declined and payed privately for CBT which helped me enormously as I could open up in a safe place. Alternately,I suffer from a very rare skin condition called Lichen Sclerosis (which has led to me having cancer of the vulva 4 times) and would welcome the opportunity to meet with other women who also have it. Although, I suppose I am thinking more of a support group than medical advice as its vitually untreatable!

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:31:57

This isn't new at all and already happens for a range of conditions up and down the country and actually has very good outcomes. It isnt about individual ailments/complaints, it is about managing conditions. You don't have to share much with the group but it gives you more contact with experts and services than you would otherwise have.

You may have even been to one and not realised its the same thing: "heart clubs", & pulmonary rehab gyms etc

Not sure why it is currently making headlines.

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:34:43

As several people have pointed out group management is quite a skill, you need to be able to encourage quieter members, keep the talkative ones under control and make sure everyone gets 'air time'.

It's not group psychotherapy.
It is condition management.
Usually they run in blocks with different experts/topics, maybe some group physio in the gym etc, sign posting to other services, awareness of products/treatments etc.

M0nica Sun 07-Oct-18 17:38:12

I must be clear that the item, several of them actually, that I read made it clear that these groups would be instead of a GP appointment.

I also commented that I think that I think that, while they talked of group appointments of up to 2 hours, I think that they would soon start cutting the time allowed for these groups until, within 5 years , it would be down to 30 minutes or less. Just time to take the blood samples, collect the pee pots and take blood pressure, before the group are ushered out because their time is up.

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:41:17

Its more a series of class room "taught" sessions and activities.
You don't go around the group talking about your individual health history unless you want to at coffee time!

The rest of the group know you have diabetes/COPD/whatever the group is for and that's it. Some people share successes or challenges they have had with some treatments if they want to.

It is for people who have already been diagnosed in 1:1 consultations.

Really have no idea why the papers are suddenly latching on to it....

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:45:07

I must be clear that the item, several of them actually, that I read made it clear that these groups would be instead of a GP appointment.

They are, but think about it:

Post diagnosis would you really rather have a 1:1 "lifestyle lecture" from your GP? (= the alternative) or go and hear a well planned group talk that brings together all the resources for the condition?

As above, these group sessions are LONG established in a lot of areas. And have good outcomes. And have not been cut back

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:46:44

I'll bet you already know someone who has been through a rehab group course for a long term condition. Ask around before buying into the slow week headlines!

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:49:10

The best comparison I can think of is they are like antenatal classes....but for people facing chronic conditions rather than birth

notanan2 Sun 07-Oct-18 17:56:29

& as with antenatal classes, there is a lot of useful general information you need if you are diagnosed with a chronic illness: which local sites provide which services. What to expect re monitoring. Who to contact if things go wrong etc.