Gransnet forums

Health

EMDR

(60 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 03-Nov-18 09:10:56

Has anyone any experience of this please?

Squiffy Sat 03-Nov-18 10:04:10

Annie I just googled this as I had no idea what it is! I hope that it really helps you, if you decide to give it a go.

Luckygirl Sat 03-Nov-18 10:07:12

I have heard of this annie and it has its adherents, but I have no personal experience.

I think that you are very sensible to be giving things a go, trying to broaden your life and enhance its quality. And I would say, just give it a go. Nothing lost!

Anniebach Sat 03-Nov-18 10:21:36

The Wellbeing Manager from the local MIND called to see me Thursday , he apologised that they had let me down with broken promises, such as support to start using the scooter and leaving my garden in a mess . I asked for recommendations for a counsellor because I can’t get to the surgery. He said they had qualified councillors and there had been positive results with one who uses EMDR, he mailed me yesterday , said he had spoken to her and she would give thought to helping me using face time. I should hear next week. I think perhaps using face time wouldn’t work but hope she will try it. I want to get my life back .

DoraMarr Sat 03-Nov-18 10:23:00

Good for you. You are being really brave and positive.

Polly48 Sat 03-Nov-18 10:35:32

Good luck Annie - sounds like a really positive step smile

Sparklefizz Sat 03-Nov-18 10:46:22

EMDR does work, and is often used with EFT which I think you have asked about before, Annie.

Sparklefizz Sat 03-Nov-18 10:47:25

Both EMDR and EFT could be done using Facetime because you would follow the eye movements and/or tapping being suggested.

Anniebach Sat 03-Nov-18 11:00:16

Thank you x

I was so hopeful about the EFT treatment but she retired .

If either can be done by Face time , great, I will willingly give it my all.

I am rather a floundering fish ?. Can’t get my act together, it has been explained to me that being anxious every day for 7 years. Not about myself, it is rather like learned behaviour, so I have now turned it onto myself, if that makes sense , which I doubt !

tessagee Sat 03-Nov-18 15:25:54

That makes sense to me Annie. Very good luck with this.

cornergran Sat 03-Nov-18 22:35:13

EMDR is a well respected approach annie particularly for trauma. Of course no approach suits all because were all so different, so no guarantees.. I’ve never heard of it via FaceTime but why not? No harm in giving it a try if the therapist is willing. There are many therapies now carried out via the computer. If that medium doesn’t work then please be clear to MIND that you need help at home. Good luck, sending love and a wish that EMDR or another approach will help.

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 08:48:08

Cornergran I have read up about it now, I have doubts about it being possible on Face Time, but will wait to hear what the therapist decides. I so long to overcome this wretched phobia, the isolation is cruel, I will try anything to overcome it. Thank you x

Missfoodlove Sun 04-Nov-18 09:34:13

Hi there, I read a book with a couple of chapters on EFT, I was fascinated but sceptical so I did some research and watched some you tube tutorials.
I have taught my self the tapping technique and it really works.
I spent a few weeks using it on a daily basis but now only tap occasionally when stressed.
Give it a go.

TwiceAsNice Sun 04-Nov-18 09:58:26

EMDR is at its most successful for PTSD ( post traumatic stress syndrome) EMDR stands for eye movement desensitising reprocessing and helps the brain find a way to process trauma. Trauma memory enters the brain in a rush in a harsh way, unlike normal memory which enters slowly and the brain immediately is able to decide where it needs to go . Trauma memory doesn't know where to go as it enters the brain too fast because it is unpleasant and sort of bounces around trying to find the right place. Therapy such as EMDR helps the brain to calm down and compartmentalise the memory so the person is able to deal with it better. Hope this helps? I don't know for certain but if the connection is good Zi would think s therapist could go this with FaceTime or Skype for you Annie

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 10:00:20

Missfoodlove, thank you.

I just had a look on uTube , there seems to be two schools on EFT, a short or long bout of tapping, may I ask which you used?

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 10:12:01

TwiceAsNice. thank you

I haven’t PTSD , I think I did many years ago long before PTSD was spoken of , there was no talking therapy then, just tranquillisers . But this agoraphobia has nothing to do with that , I was told a few years ago my intense fear of snow was caused by something from many years ago.

TwiceAsNice Sun 04-Nov-18 17:10:03

EMDR would also hope with intense fear as well Annie and Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder based on intense fear. I do hope it helps you and you are able to begin to go outside a little. I wish you luck and send you my love

TwiceAsNice Sun 04-Nov-18 17:10:23

Sorry help not hope

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 17:57:07

TwiceAsNice it certaintly is intense fear when one looks at a tree and is sure it is bending towards one, or a building is suddenly leaning forward , the worse though is concentrating on walking away from the house , feeling rather pleased , turning to return to the house and the path seems to stretch five times longer that it is.

Thank you for explaining and your kind words, I am going to do it , to cross the Cul de Sac to the mobile library and resume chats with the lovely librarian about the effects of the poor law in North Wales is high on my list ???????

With love to you

Bikerhiker Sun 04-Nov-18 18:12:12

Good for you Annie and good luck. I'm sure the librarian will be pleased to see you.
I remember that when I was working I went on a stress relief course that involved tapping certain points around the face. The technique was not given a name. We tapped at about 2 per second while chanting "I'm alright, you're alright". I remember it did seem to help.
It's worth a go. X

GillT57 Sun 04-Nov-18 18:18:21

Sounds interesting Annie. I do hope it helps you to get out of the place you are in at the moment. Everything is worth a try and sometimes the act of seeking and accepting help is part of the recovery.

Anniebach Mon 05-Nov-18 09:22:11

Please, lots of thoughts from all that the therapist will agree to help me x

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Nov-18 09:25:55

I'm sure they will Annie do let us know how you get on

Anniebach Mon 05-Nov-18 10:06:39

TwiceAsNice. I have just received an email from the office saying the community wellbeing officer is looking at my options , not promising , I haven’t any options, I am stuck in my self made prison. Must stay positive ?

Missfoodlove Thu 08-Nov-18 19:57:17

Short!